Semi Permanent Aquaponic Grow Cab And Bio Filter

• Thread starter RaptoR
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RaptoR

RaptoR

Hey People

I am busy building a Semi Permanent setup into my man cave and would like some feedback from the community. I am new to indoor grows and opted for a aquaponic setup.
It is a really fun project and a lot of planning went into it. It took a while to build on my own , but I am getting there. Cycling will start soon and then we will see how she grows...

The setup as follows :
the cab itself is 2.4m (l) x 0.8m (d) x 1.4m (h). The tank is 1000l total which stands on top of a home made trolley , in case I need to pull the tank out for maintenance. I will use a ebb n flow system with bell siphons directly back into the tank. I have 2 x 300W LED installed on a rope pulley system for positioning. I overlapped the Cab with the window sill and built a seperate cabinet inside the main cab for a DIY carbon filter and installed a 15w desktop fan for extraction. I lined the inside of the cab with industrial fire blankets that I got from work , which reflects 90% of rays. I have a 1000l/h submersible pump that pumps into 2 growbeds via a manifold with control valves. I have space for a 3rd growbed , but will use this one from a different tank for the flush cycle.

I still have to fill the growbeds and set up the pots. I plan on using a dual root zone technique for maximum feeding potential. Then I still have to build in my scrog grid due to the height restrictions I have , with the cab being over the tank... I will start off with autoflowering strains as they dont grow too tall. Also , this way I can keep my lights on the same timing and dont need to have a seperate veg/flower cab.

I am away from home half of the year and opted for the aquaponics as it looks like once the system formed its symbiotic relationship between the bacteria , plants and aqautic creatures , it pretty much becomes alot easier to maintain. Then all my wife has to do , is feed the fish...This will take at least a year I reckon , and will be trial and error , but hopefully it will be very rewarding in the end.

Just to add , I plan on also putting a growbed in the window sill with some Bonzai trees , to add as a additional permanent bio filter for the fish.

Let me know what you think. Any suggestions , comments or constructive criticism will be appreciated!

~~Dr. Zap~~

A little bit of light leakage.
Semi permanent aquaponic grow cab and bio filter

This is the extrcation cabinet when its open. Space inside for diy Carbon Filter
Semi permanent aquaponic grow cab and bio filter 2

General idea of what it looks like
Semi permanent aquaponic grow cab and bio filter 3

With lights on
Semi permanent aquaponic grow cab and bio filter 4

Testing both Siphons. Growbeds fill up in about 210 seconds, drains in about 90 seconds
Semi permanent aquaponic grow cab and bio filter 6

Damn thats bright!
Semi permanent aquaponic grow cab and bio filter 5

Inlet manifold with control valves
Semi permanent aquaponic grow cab and bio filter 7

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Very cool setup. The first time I ever seen anything like this was about 15 years ago when Breeder Steve was growing this way. Keep up the great work!

RaptoR

RaptoR

Very cool setup. The first time I ever seen anything like this was about 15 years ago when Breeder Steve was growing this way. Keep up the great work!

Thanks dude

Yeah I came across a thread on here where a guy named SpiderK posted some info that Steve gave him regarding his aquaponic setup. A lot of good info on organic nutrient supplements using lots of natural elements.

I live on the coast and we have loads of kelp , seals and seagulls . So I will definitely have to go and farm some poop from them!

RaptoR

RaptoR

So, just an update. I have eventually managed to get back to working on the system. I have officially started cycling the system with ammonium sulfate . I think I might have added to much though...Will check in the morning. Meanwhile some pics of the progress.
 20180727 223513

The depth of the net pot strainers.

DSC 1310
DSC 1311
DSC 1312
DSC 1315
DSC 1314
Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Looks good. I think you have built an awesome grow space. I think you won’t be pleased with your yield output from those lights, I had lots of friends run burple leds. I think larger root pots too but I love the build. Can’t wait to see you grow some flowers !

RaptoR

RaptoR

Looks good. I think you have built an awesome grow space. I think you won’t be pleased with your yield output from those lights, I had lots of friends run burple leds. I think larger root pots too but I love the build. Can’t wait to see you grow some flowers !

Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same about the root pots , but couldnt find any bigger so had to build around what I got.
As for the burples , never tried them before. The fact that they save on the leccy bill is a big pro. I will only grow for myself to cut down on costs of having to buy some. The LED s is 300W each, probly like 200W true power , will they really be that,low yielding?

Yeah I can't wait to get girls in there. I have ordered through MSNL but they mustve gotten lost along the way so they had to resend them. Wanted to have them now already. I guess Ill put in one mysterious berry , one jack herer and two un identified West African refugees to start with...

Im a bit concerned with the heigth as well , but im sure a screen will help a lot...

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same about the root pots , but couldnt find any bigger so had to build around what I got.
As for the burples , never tried them before. The fact that they save on the leccy bill is a big pro. I will only grow for myself to cut down on costs of having to buy some. The LED s is 300W each, probly like 200W true power , will they really be that,low yielding?

Yeah I can't wait to get girls in there. I have ordered through MSNL but they mustve gotten lost along the way so they had to resend them. Wanted to have them now already. I guess Ill put in one mysterious berry , one jack herer and two un identified West African refugees to start with...

Im a bit concerned with the heigth as well , but im sure a screen will help a lot...

They are prob 120w or less. I can say I am happy I went with quantum boards and built my own. Too many friends spent money and ended up with low light producing , lower thc content, and they ran hot for leds. Hope that’s not the case for you

RaptoR

RaptoR

I plan on upgrading down the line. Due to space I cant go HID... So once I save up enough ill switch to cobs.

The root pot size bothered me so i made a slight upgrade with irrigation piping . Fits the net pots well and the old ones are perfect for the soil layer pots. Just need to find some burlap .

Ive also drained and diluted the tank to get the NH3 ppms down.Added way too much Ammonium sulfate last night.
Went to the pet shop and got some filter beads from them. Dug them into the centre of the growbeds to jumpstart the bacteria colonialisation.
Surprisingly after half hour the NO3 measured already at 10ppm and NH3 at 5ppm. A good start.

DSC 1323

The old root pot and the new bigger blue one. 340ml beer bottle for reference.
DSC 1325

Soil pot inside the net pot.
DSC 1327

Burlap and a soil mix and shes ready to roll!

RaptoR

RaptoR

Ok, so i changed out the soil layer pots, got all bigger root zone pots and decided not to waste space and made a quick Dutch pot system inside the extra space. The small pots will only grow small ones to be transplanted outside next season

RaptoR

RaptoR

Quick update. The plants are getting on really nicely. I installed a wet wick in each of the dual root zone pots to keep the dry zone moist...this seems to be working very well. I havent been home for a week and and everything seems to be going along smoothly on their own. Had my Wife do a water test and the NO2 is down to 4 ppm , NO3 up to about 100 ppm. Give or take 2 weeks then Ill be able to add some fish into the tank and the system will be fully cycled.Im quite happy with the build so far. Plants seems to be happy aswell...except for the one...think its getting too much water. Asked wifey to move the inlet a little bit further away from the plant..

Wet wick can be seen sticking out the ground. runs into the wet zone about 4 inches , or 100mm

This little one seems to be drowning a bit....

RaptoR

RaptoR

A pic of the wet wick system. green rope wick can be seen under the pot
DSC 0067

Aquaponic cycling: The numbers . I only recorded numbers up until the day that I had to leave for work.

DSC 0097

Aquaponic cycling: The graft . Around 20-21 on the graft. Its not a accurate graft , just a representation of the cycling process to visualize the establishment of the bacteria colonies

DSC 0098

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Hey People

I am busy building a Semi Permanent setup into my man cave and would like some feedback from the community. I am new to indoor grows and opted for a aquaponic setup.
It is a really fun project and a lot of planning went into it. It took a while to build on my own , but I am getting there. Cycling will start soon and then we will see how she grows...

The setup as follows :
the cab itself is 2.4m (l) x 0.8m (d) x 1.4m (h). The tank is 1000l total which stands on top of a home made trolley , in case I need to pull the tank out for maintenance. I will use a ebb n flow system with bell siphons directly back into the tank. I have 2 x 300W LED installed on a rope pulley system for positioning. I overlapped the Cab with the window sill and built a seperate cabinet inside the main cab for a DIY carbon filter and installed a 15w desktop fan for extraction. I lined the inside of the cab with industrial fire blankets that I got from work , which reflects 90% of rays. I have a 1000l/h submersible pump that pumps into 2 growbeds via a manifold with control valves. I have space for a 3rd growbed , but will use this one from a different tank for the flush cycle.

I still have to fill the growbeds and set up the pots. I plan on using a dual root zone technique for maximum feeding potential. Then I still have to build in my scrog grid due to the height restrictions I have , with the cab being over the tank... I will start off with autoflowering strains as they dont grow too tall. Also , this way I can keep my lights on the same timing and dont need to have a seperate veg/flower cab.

I am away from home half of the year and opted for the aquaponics as it looks like once the system formed its symbiotic relationship between the bacteria , plants and aqautic creatures , it pretty much becomes alot easier to maintain. Then all my wife has to do , is feed the fish...This will take at least a year I reckon , and will be trial and error , but hopefully it will be very rewarding in the end.

Just to add , I plan on also putting a growbed in the window sill with some Bonzai trees , to add as a additional permanent bio filter for the fish.

Let me know what you think. Any suggestions , comments or constructive criticism will be appreciated!

~~Dr. Zap~~

A little bit of light leakage.
View attachment 813432
This is the extrcation cabinet when its open. Space inside for diy Carbon Filter
View attachment 813433
General idea of what it looks like
View attachment 813434
With lights on
View attachment 813435
Testing both Siphons. Growbeds fill up in about 210 seconds, drains in about 90 seconds
View attachment 813441
Damn thats bright!
View attachment 813439
Inlet manifold with control valves
View attachment 813450
Cool setup, anyway you can get rid of the galvanized fittings; with aquaponic the low ph will cause it to leach chemicals into your plants and fish. Pvc ip fitttings or even brass would be ideal as they are inert. The fan I would get a inline type they last longer and are not noisy over time that the bladed fan will make. Light leakage with autonflowers not a worry but any photoperiod plant you may want to address it. Looks great mate!

RaptoR

RaptoR

Cool setup, anyway you can get rid of the galvanized fittings; with aquaponic the low ph will cause it to leach chemicals into your plants and fish. Pvc ip fitttings or even brass would be ideal as they are inert. The fan I would get a inline type they last longer and are not noisy over time that the bladed fan will make. Light leakage with autonflowers not a worry but any photoperiod plant you may want to address it. Looks great mate!
Awesome feedback Jack. Really appreciate it. The galv fittings was the only fittings available at the time and I didnt even think about the chem leakage from them. Thanks!! When I get home I will swop them out immediately! I managed to get the light leakage down quite a bit by installing some battons and door locky thingies...and the last bit of leakage I will address with some black silicon or summin. The info on the fan is also noted , thanx ! I will be swopping the fan out aswell , eventually when I have cashos for a inline! Luckily the noise isnt a problem at the moment , but I dont know how long thatll last before the wife starts complaining !! Again , thanx for the imput! appreciated!!

RaptoR

RaptoR

Light leakage reduced. A little bit of light can be seen at the bottom of the doors , aswell as underneath the box where all the plumbing enters. This will be addressed as soon as possible!

DSC 0050

RaptoR

RaptoR

Some good growth. So far so good!
DSC 0140

Finally added some fish. And they love their No Evil Totem .
DSC 0135

The system working. Plants, bacteria, fish. All working together
DSC 0144

Top Bottom