Short Path Kit Reviews

• Thread starter HighTolerance
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HighTolerance

Hi Fellows,

I have been browsing for a while and haven't found any threads comparing the different short path kits or heads offered by various vendors.

I have the winterization and carbon scrubbing part down. I am looking for a 5 liter that will give consistently over 90% first pass without hexane polishing. I have only ran my friends' short path so I a noob when it comes to short path, however I have ran BR before many times, but due to some complications with work I have buy a short path now because it is cheaper then the BR which is 60-70k.

Below are some of the one that show on google search, your opinions and any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Summit's SPD-2 Thermal + PRO KIT

Summit's SPD-2 Legacy 5 Liter

Summit's SPD-2.1 Thermal+ Packable Head

AI 5L Short Path

Xtractor Depot Platinum 5L

Goldleaf Gold Short path kit

Smerb

Smerb

Hi Fellows,

I have been browsing for a while and haven't found any threads comparing the different short path kits or heads offered by various vendors.

I have the winterization and carbon scrubbing part down. I am looking for a 5 liter that will give consistently over 90% first pass without hexane polishing. I have only ran my friends' short path so I a noob when it comes to short path, however I have ran BR before many times, but due to some complications with work I have buy a short path now because it is cheaper then the BR which is 60-70k.

Below are some of the one that show on google search, your opinions and any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

AI 5L Short Path

If you have the money for the Xtractor, buy it. Or watch a few videos with people using it. BHO?

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I've been piecing my kit together, slowly. Scored my Welch 1400 pump for 400 vs 2000. 1 gal pump oil was 75.00

1000ml distillation glass, digital mantle should run about 800-1000.

Chiller is another 1500-2200.

Check out skunkfarm.com and @Graywolf he is the extract king.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

This is the video I'm looking at to copy what they use. For the most part.

Also LAYBOY has the cheapest glass around with out the 500% marijuana upcharge 99% of the other glass sellers have theirs listed at.

H

HighTolerance

I've been piecing my kit together, slowly. Scored my Welch 1400 pump for 400 vs 2000. 1 gal pump oil was 75.00

1000ml distillation glass, digital mantle should run about 800-1000.

Chiller is another 1500-2200.

Check out skunkfarm.com and @Graywolf he is the extract king.

GW is indeed a god. I have went through Skunk farm and didnt't find any reviews I was looking for.

H

HighTolerance

If you have the money for the Xtractor, buy it. Or watch a few videos with people using it. BHO?
I have been digging the the XD system especially the receiver isolation valve. ok so plus 1 for XD

H

HighTolerance

This is the video I'm looking at to copy what they use. For the most part.

Also LAYBOY has the cheapest glass around with out the 500% marijuana upcharge 99% of the other glass sellers have theirs listed at.

Thanks for input. I have hear that LABOY glass is pretty low quality, so I that's why I didn't bother looking at them.

EugeneOregon

EugeneOregon

Hi Fellows,

AI 5L Short Path

I have a short path rig as a work in progress but it is working well enough to present here. This has been a VERY long time figuring out what works and what does not. I am a hobbyist and experimenter. This run shows the tailings from dry column vacuum chromatography (DCVC) being distilled. This means it is completely dewaxed but all of the last fractions from DCVD which are green and black and gunky were used as a starting compound.

Note that everything has a reason and purpose. The thermometer in the head is still not the right type and I am waiting on the correct one to arrive. The one used is partial immersion and not a ground glass joint. The 25 mm immersion depth thermometer I first used works fine until a very deep vacuum is pulled, then it pulls the 25mm immersion tip in tight enough to make contact on the inside tube of the head whoch immediately breaks the vacuum. A ground glass thermometer with a 20 mm immersion depth is on order and I am using a teflon adapter for now.

I am als using a Chemglass 14/20 vacuum jacketted head with no fractioning indents or packing. I believe it to be a technical error to run this compound in a fractioning column so I do not use one. I also believe that ANY polymer vacuum hose need to be kept to the absolute shortest distance possible. My connections are short Nalgene vacuum lines as couplers only. I am still waiting on a good stainless steel vent valve and will be able to eliminate a few more inches of the polymere tube.

Plus I use a full spherical heating mantel with a control unit I wired up which monitors and precisely controls the heating flask temperature. This hobby scale rig works very nicely although as usual there are always refinements. Vacuum pump is an Edwards model 28.

Latest posts

Top Bottom