Small Greenhouse(s)

• Thread starter Underthesun
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Underthesun

Underthesun

Pretty new here, but this looked like a good spot to start my first thread. You guys all have awesome looking greenhouses, wish I could swing some of those not too mention have the space. I just built myself a little 100 sf personal greenhouse out of 5mm Solexx and upcycled wood; redwood, cedar and some treated stuff. I get the wood from old decks and such. I made the structure in individual panels in my wood shop so I could assemble it myself, just bolt together and sheath the remaining areas once in place. It seemed to work out alright and I think if I were to do it again it would go even smoother. Hopefully it will last me 10+ years and grow some fine plants.

I just demolished a redwood pergola yesterday for the wood. It ended up being a bunch of 1x2s and 1x3s that are only 3-4' long. But just so happens a few friends have asked me to build them some real small GHs for their appartment balconies. It will be interesting to see what designs I come up with and if they will produce. I'm worried about root bound plants in them that wont have enough space. Eitherway, I'll post some pics of those once I get them built and we can see if my friends are able harvest some goods with them.

In the mean time here are some pics of my recently finished one. It stands 8' at the peak and 5' at the low end. Built in two lower openings and two roof openings for air and the exhaust fan for the hot days just around the corner. Before this fall when I get a few extra hours I'll go around and caulk the Solexx ends to make them air tight the only way they insulate. I will also fill all gaps I can find in hopes of having an energy effecient structure for heating. The openings all fit snug and weather stripping is placed where needed. Looking forward to see what she can do! Open to suggestions from all.
Small greenhouses
Small greenhouses 3
Small greenhouses 2

E

eighty9concr

I really like that brand of perlite, I use the largest size they have for my outdoor.

K

kolah

NICE!

maybe consider lining your floor with plastic.

temperature sensitive automatic vent openers are da bomb.

you'll like it so much you'll soon build another one. ENJOY!

Underthesun

Underthesun

Hey Kolah, thanks for the advice on the plastic flooring. What would the benefit be of plastic flooring other than maybe some unwanted plant growth? My floor right now is a combination of gravel, redstone flagstone, and some granite slates...just stuff I had around. It's all on top of mostly a gravely clay natural base. Would the plastic insulate the floor?

Getting a thermostat for the fan has been on my list for awhile...but I forgot about it since it's been March weather all May. Highs only in the 40s the last 5 days and I think we've recieved like 4 inches of rain in almost just as much time. The snow line is just above us so I haven't had to spend too much time covering up the tomato plants and peppers. Its been so cloudy for the past 3 weeks my ganja plants are slow growing but looking healthy.

I have taken advantage of the cloudy days though. I took cuttings from a couple month old seedlings, put them in my clone dome in rockwool and I'm going to light dep them in the greenhouse to sex them. I figured it would usually be too hot to have the dome in the greenhouse, kind of a double greenhouse affect with the heat...but with these temps it seems to be working. I should know in about a week. If it works well, I will try again with the rest of my plants I have going now. I want to narrow it down to 3-5 plants in there and try to keep it under moderate control, hahaha. Probably won't happen and it will be a jungle, but that is okay too. Just want to keep all the buds off the sidewalls and plan on doing that with trellis and quite a bit of trimming.

Thanks for looking.

str8smokn

str8smokn

Looks good,but are 2x4s exposed on the outside of the front and left wall? If so why did you do it to only those 2 walls,or is it doubled up on those walls? Why not solexx on outside of 2x4s and use space in between 2x4s as some storage space for bottles and ect ?
STR8

Underthesun

Underthesun

I considered putting the solexx on the outside of the framing for a little more storage space but I just liked the look of the exterior this way. Its more aesthetic looking and really doesn't look like a greenhouse, more like a white shed with batten boards. The north wall has rigid insulation and wood siding to make it look even more like a shed.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Man, the weather is CRAZY this spring here in CO....the greenhouse saved my ass for sure last night! The hail would have put a hurting on my plants if left outside. It was like a strobe light going off while I was laying in bed last night with the amount of lightning, pretty fucking cool. I just hope everyone is okay in the places that got hit harder.

I tried to sex my plants by taking clones and light deprivation inside the greenhouse as I had mentioned earlier. This did not go as fast as I would have liked, so I moved them inside under a CFL. The temps the past few weeks up until a few days ago were pretty cool and I did not use a heating pad. I imagine this did not help. The cuttings survived and seemed healthy but they're just not doing anything. I would have kept trying to sex out in the greenhouse but then the temps started to rise, it got in the 90s one day. So moving the little cuttings inside seemed to be the best idea. I hope to find out the sexes soon, they are growing and I want to organize my space before it gets too out of control.

I also have this plant that I started from a seed that I found on my workbench. No idea where it came from, at all. I haven't found any seeds in my stash from last harvest 'yet' and that's pretty much all I smoke. I do get random buds from friends every once in awhile and it is possible my old man or a buddy broke up some bud down there. But anyways, I was just cleaning up my work bench back in late March found the bean and was like, well shit, let's plant this thing. I've been using it as my experimental plant, putting it in my soil for a week or so before putting my other plants in the same soil, kind of a guinea pig plant. It's looking really nice and healthy, lots of vigor. I hope it turns out male, then my choice to get rid of it is easy. But if it turns out female, do I use valuable space for some random bag seed that looks very promising in veg? Or just cut her down and stay with known genetics? Chances are the seed came from buds that weren't supposed to have seeds, so I'm thinking more of a chance to be a hermie. Probably chop it soon.

Last edited:
rubthe nub

rubthe nub

Don't use plastic on the floor
go get ya some landscape fabric from one of the big box stores
put that stuff down instead
water cant drain through plastic

Underthesun

Underthesun

What's wrong with just gravel/dirt/rock? I'm not worried about weeds, I can pick those.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I've got a 10x10 store bought GH for shelter logic. $250 shipped to my door and holding up perfectly in its second season. Great work!

outwest

Underthesun

Underthesun

Getting the second trellis up, supercroping the stretch, and doing some weaving. May have planted too early this year or maybe it was a good idea, only time will tell. I've got room for some more stretch and just trying to stay on top of things. Cutting lots of inner branches off since I don't have the time or the help to mess with that stuff come harvest. I'll still have plenty of scraggly buds I missed for hash, but going for mostly tops this year. Keeping the branches off the walls has been a small chore but doable with some cutting and weaving in the metal chicken wire fencing.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Houston, we may have a problem. Hahaha.

Still cropping the stretch, will stop that soon and watch em go.

Been having a little battle with thrips, spinosad that ass. I'll stop spraying in a week or so, flowering is beginning.

Save money, grow better plants organically. The good stuff.

S

Solexx

All I can say is wow, your plants look great, wonder if Solexx made that much difference in the growing. Your main truck is huge, looks like a 3-4 year old japanese maple

Underthesun

Underthesun

Yeah, they really took off mid summer! As you can see they are too big even, haha. Oh well, good problem to have. I think I will plant a little later next year or take clones and plant those from mature plants mid-end June next year. Keep it more under control for pests and growing up against the sidewalls.

Flowering has begun. I'm interested to see how the trich production is with the Solexx. It seems to keep things pretty cool in there compared to my old clear panels. So that is good.

S

Solexx

Yeah, they really took off mid summer! As you can see they are too big even, haha. Oh well, good problem to have. I think I will plant a little later next year or take clones and plant those from mature plants mid-end June next year. Keep it more under control for pests and growing up against the sidewalls.

Flowering has begun. I'm interested to see how the trich production is with the Solexx. It seems to keep things pretty cool in there compared to my old clear panels. So that is good.

Are you going to use blackout? I would love to know how this works out for you

Top Bottom