Soil Mixture With Fox Farms

• Thread starter Derekrm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Derekrm

Hello All.

I am new to posting to these forums, although I am not new as a visitor, and appreciate the wealth of information available on here :)

I am currently starting my second grow, and am looking to up my soil game a bit. For my first grow, I was able to manage a 5' tree using only a 300w full spectrum LED, MiracleGro potting soil, and some basic fox farm nutrients (big bloom for full life and tiger bloom for flower).

I recently purchased fox farms light warrior, fox farms ocean forest, perlite, and dolomite lime. I want to combine these together and have a soil that I can use from seed to harvest.

My question is...
1. Is this feasible?
2. Do I need to purchase any additional mix for my soil?
3. What ratios would I want to follow for the above highlighted ingredients?

NOTE: I plan on using the fox farm trio of nutrients - Grow big throughout veg, big bloom from late veg to end of flower, tiger bloom for all of flower
- Please let me know if this is ill-advised as well. I have not experimented with grow big yet, but the other two worked wonders on my first grow.

Grow Specs:
- 300w galaxyhydro full spectrum LED
- 3x3 grow tent
- FF nutrient trio (grow big, big bloom, tiger bloom)
- Some combo soil with FF Light warrior, FF Ocean forest, Perlite, and Dolomite Lime powder (added cal/mag)
- plan on two plants in the tent (MK Ultra and Girl Scout Cookies)

Last edited:
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

sounds like you got a plan,me i would get ride of the lime,,lime is for keeping the soil a nuetral 7.0,weed does best at 6.5 in soil unless your trying to manipulate from hard water,,both the soil and fox product will do you fine,,are these reused soil or fresh?if your reuseing the soil yes a little dolimite will be good,,as far as cal mag,you will get better results with egg shells,,i put 2in of soil and take a tsp of crushed to dust egg shell and add 2 tsp of vinegar,mix it all up to a runny paste,,put it in your hole and then cover with 2in of compost,then couple inchs of soil,put transplant in and finish fill with soil,then i add more compost,,i run 5 gallon buckets,ive run the trio with great result,,only uppotting i do is from transplant to 5 gal bucket,,it will seem the bitch aint growin for a week or two,,then bamm ,take off,,reason is the root finally got to bottom and is now spreading her legs,,ive never used cal mag,no need if you keep the soil happy it does all the magic,,other than that sounds like your off to a good start,,hope this info helps if you use it,and good luck and spread the love to the community when you can

Perception

Perception

sounds like you got a plan,me i would get ride of the lime,,lime is for keeping the soil a nuetral 7.0,weed does best at 6.5 in soil unless your trying to manipulate from hard water,,both the soil and fox product will do you fine,,are these reused soil or fresh?if your reuseing the soil yes a little dolimite will be good,,as far as cal mag,you will get better results with egg shells,,i put 2in of soil and take a tsp of crushed to dust egg shell and add 2 tsp of vinegar,mix it all up to a runny paste,,put it in your hole and then cover with 2in of compost,then couple inchs of soil,put transplant in and finish fill with soil,then i add more compost,,i run 5 gallon buckets,ive run the trio with great result,,only uppotting i do is from transplant to 5 gal bucket,,it will seem the bitch aint growin for a week or two,,then bamm ,take off,,reason is the root finally got to bottom and is now spreading her legs,,ive never used cal mag,no need if you keep the soil happy it does all the magic,,other than that sounds like your off to a good start,,hope this info helps if you use it,and good luck and spread the love to the community when you can

I like the technique a of a layer of vinegar+powdered-egg-shell slurry. Simple but sounds effective. A layer of water soluble calcium!

Is your bucket/layer system a "just add water" grow through flower?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I like the technique a of a layer of vinegar+powdered-egg-shell slurry. Simple but sounds effective. A layer of water soluble calcium!

Is your bucket/layer system a "just add water" grow through flower?
first day of flower i give kool bloom and every other week up till last 3 weeks,after the kool bloom i feed them botanicare soil pro,next kool bloom next water,,then start over,,basically if the plant dont need food it dont get it,,outside i do same but feed in bettween the koolbloom,,ive tried sub cool mix works great but lacks in last month,,ive built my own super soil but lacked last month,,so depending on strains and weather conditions,i havent seen a water all the way in my years,,botanicare and kool bloom are cheap so thats my gig and stick to it because it works for me,,main thing no one uses it cause it not a name brand item that everyone seems to think will be magic,same with lighting,,there is no set perfect and forget it,,it the method of gardening,do and use what works best for you and stick too it,,every time i tried someone else idea and method wound up a disaster if you dig what im saying,,what ever you do watch what you put in the pots cause down to the nut,its the microbe life inside the can that makes the magic

D

Derekrm

Thab

Thank you, very useful info. I will give that a shot and skip out in the lime!

Organikz

Organikz

ive tried sub cool mix works great but lacks in last month,,ive built my own super soil but lacked last month
I have heard quite a few extremely experienced growers say this same thing..."No such thing as water only soil mix." I mean you can but you aren't pushing your plant to peak health where it can express genetics to it's greatest potential. With a huge pot and little compost top dress or chicken manure once a month...maybe. Soil takes years to develop the humus needed to drive a living soil system with no assistance. It why we use fulvic acid to feed. Magnesium also just sits in the soil. Iron oxidized without proper humic acid.

Steelerdrew

Steelerdrew

Hello All.

I am new to posting to these forums, although I am not new as a visitor, and appreciate the wealth of information available on here :)

I am currently starting my second grow, and am looking to up my soil game a bit. For my first grow, I was able to manage a 5' tree using only a 300w full spectrum LED, MiracleGro potting soil, and some basic fox farm nutrients (big bloom for full life and tiger bloom for flower).

I recently purchased fox farms light warrior, fox farms ocean forest, perlite, and dolomite lime. I want to combine these together and have a soil that I can use from seed to harvest.

My question is...
1. Is this feasible?
2. Do I need to purchase any additional mix for my soil?
3. What ratios would I want to follow for the above highlighted ingredients?

NOTE: I plan on using the fox farm trio of nutrients - Grow big throughout veg, big bloom from late veg to end of flower, tiger bloom for all of flower
- Please let me know if this is ill-advised as well. I have not experimented with grow big yet, but the other two worked wonders on my first grow.

Grow Specs:
- 300w galaxyhydro full spectrum LED
- 3x3 grow tent
- FF nutrient trio (grow big, big bloom, tiger bloom)
- Some combo soil with FF Light warrior, FF Ocean forest, Perlite, and Dolomite Lime powder (added cal/mag)
- plan on two plants in the tent (MK Ultra and Girl Scout Cookies)

Steelerdrew

Steelerdrew

Here is what I do this works for me it may not be the "right" way but ive not seen any issues. I use fox farm ocean forest soil 3bags 1 bag organic soil I look for one with alot of worm castings, bat quano, and other things like peat moss but NO!! Vermiculite or perlite. Then 1 small bag perlite. (Bear with me here just follow along.) 1 container of canna rhizotonic (root booster of your choice) and I full strength feeding of all your nutis. Pour 1 bag fox farm ocean forest soil 1/2 bag if the organic no perlite, 1 half cup perlite. mix soil up untill well blended. Repeat 1bag fox farm ocean forest soil and 1/2 bag of the organic no perlite . Mix. No more perlite needed. Take the root booster mix at 1/2 strength ph down to 6.3 to 6.8 mist generously the top and mix soil add last bag of fox farm ocean forest mix and spray root booster mix. You dont want mud here just a simi damp soil mix. After boosters and all soils are mixed well feed your soil with your full strength nuits in 1 gal water mix and let it run off. Take soil and set in your grow light open and able to dry up let sit 2 days mixing up as many times as u want. Then when moist not mud but moist use as u would normaly but do not ad nuits for the first 2 waterings on the Third watering use 1/4 strength. Then increase 1/4 strength untill at full. I use 5gal smart pots. I do this because 1. Fox farm ocean forest soil is awesome but its alittle hot (full of micro nuits ) i like to cut it down with the organic bag and the perlite (i add it separate cuz the perlite will soak up the nuits in the soil) i treat the soil with root booster and full feeding to give the fully rooted clones or hardened rooted seed and kick start roots grow fast as the nuits start to fade with plain water roots will griw out looking for food. By the time your giving nuits again little by little your girls will havea huge root system and be sucking up the nuits let your soil dry up more than normal too the roots will grow out looking for water just use common sense and dont completly dry em up. ive never had burns never had a ph.lock. only thing ill say to be careful of is mold. mixing regularly and low humidity should help keep this a non issue. And that took way to much time to wright lol hope this helps does for me.

Top Bottom