Soil Questions

• Thread starter Thegatorade
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Thegatorade

Grown dwc never done soil but the maintenance on multiple dwc buckets is getting to be too much heavily considering soil just no very little. Maybe some experienced growers can weigh in with tips or things I need to know before starting ?
Main questions I already have
What is the progression preferred for transplanting and to what size pots?
I won’t be making my own super soil was thinking about using ocean forest or happy frog but what methods are people using to know when they need to start feeding with added nutes? Also when using a pre made soil what amendments are required/ recommended?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Grown dwc never done soil but the maintenance on multiple dwc buckets is getting to be too much heavily considering soil just no very little. Maybe some experienced growers can weigh in with tips or things I need to know before starting ?
I won’t be making my own super soil was thinking about using ocean forest or happy frog but what methods are people using to know when they need to start feeding with added nutes? Also when using a pre made soil what amendments are required/ recommended?
ocean and happy frog are great choice,you shouldnt need to feed them until last few weeks of veg,IF you are gonna veg for a month,as with all nutrients start 1/4 strength if you dig ,i start my seeds in half a solo cup,as the plant begin to grow long legs ,i add a little more soil to the cup,when my roots hit the bottom of cup and i see the root at bottom holes,i transplant into 1 gal pots,in the 1 gal pot,i put the cup in the pot and build soil on the sides,on the bottom of pot build it to at least 2in of soil ,then put a empty cup in there and build your soil around it,dont pack it but firm it if you dig,lift empty cup out and sprinkle some myco or rooting powder in the hole and then take transplant and drop in the hole,if you have room and plan for bigger pots do same method for next transplanting,i only go from solo to 1 gal pots for a final,im only in a 2x4x5 tent right now,but when i wont some product i go 5 gal buckets,so 2 transplants from seed,if you ph test that soil you will come out to 6.5,i know this cause i just ph some salamandor from fox,and it was dead on the spot,run your nutrients at 6.5 also and you gold friend,with those soils you dont need to amend they will go all the way,when i run big pots and veg longer usally about 5 to 6 weeks of veg i have to start feeding nutrients

T

Thegatorade

ocean and happy frog are great choice,you shouldnt need to feed them until last few weeks of veg,IF you are gonna veg for a month,as with all nutrients start 1/4 strength if you dig ,i start my seeds in half a solo cup,as the plant begin to grow long legs ,i add a little more soil to the cup,when my roots hit the bottom of cup and i see the root at bottom holes,i transplant into 1 gal pots,in the 1 gal pot,i put the cup in the pot and build soil on the sides,on the bottom of pot build it to at least 2in of soil ,then put a empty cup in there and build your soil around it,dont pack it but firm it if you dig,lift empty cup out and sprinkle some myco or rooting powder in the hole and then take transplant and drop in the hole,if you have room and plan for bigger pots do same method for next transplanting,i only go from solo to 1 gal pots for a final,im only in a 2x4x5 tent right now,but when i wont some product i go 5 gal buckets,so 2 transplants from seed,if you ph test that soil you will come out to 6.5,i know this cause i just ph some salamandor from fox,and it was dead on the spot,run your nutrients at 6.5 also and you gold friend,with those soils you dont need to amend they will go all the way,when i run big pots and veg longer usally about 5 to 6 weeks of veg i have to start feeding nutrients
Honestly best response I’ve ever gotten on here usually people divert from answering and just babble haha thank you I appreciate it!

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Honestly best response I’ve ever gotten on here usually people divert from answering and just babble haha thank you I appreciate it!
any time,i love the soil,it's were we all come from and go back too,i enjoy what i will lie in one day hahahah,what type nutrients you gonna run?i have found from experience,best nutrients are what the soil like not the plant,feed them microbes and all good,i take my garden plants and ferment and feed it right back to them,since your new to it,look into KNF methods,chris trump has some great instructional videos on making all these items,give it a check

T

Thegatorade

any time,i love the soil,it's were we all come from and go back too,i enjoy what i will lie in one day hahahah,what type nutrients you gonna run?i have found from experience,best nutrients are what the soil like not the plant,feed them microbes and all good,i take my garden plants and ferment and feed it right back to them,since your new to it,look into KNF methods,chris trump has some great instructional videos on making all these items,give it a check
I will forsure thanks and I ran blue planet in hydro not sure if I want to carry over to soil a lot of people on here talk about fox farms line for soil what are your thoughts or recommendations

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I will forsure thanks and I ran blue planet in hydro not sure if I want to carry over to soil a lot of people on here talk about fox farms line for soil what are your thoughts or recommendations
ive run with both,blue planets is straight up shit imo,i dumped a whole line up on my fence to kill weeds ,that it does well very well stains are still on the fence 4 yrs later,fox farm trio would be my choice,you can just run the trio,and produce good bud,i only use the cha ching and the trio,all the other is sales hype imo,i still have the kelpme kelp you,that good stuff,the microbes,kangaroots root drench,and sledge hammer from 3 yrs back fell for the hype and there it sits on my shelf,probally aint no good hahah,if you go that route,the trio and cha ching for the flower stage

T

Thegatorade

ive run with both,blue planets is straight up shit imo,i dumped a whole line up on my fence to kill weeds ,that it does well very well stains are still on the fence 4 yrs later,fox farm trio would be my choice,you can just run the trio,and produce good bud,i only use the cha ching and the trio,all the other is sales hype imo,i still have the kelpme kelp you,that good stuff,the microbes,kangaroots root drench,and sledge hammer from 3 yrs back fell for the hype and there it sits on my shelf,probally aint no good hahah,if you go that route,the trio and cha ching for the flower stage
Yeah bp may be why I’m deciding against hydro now even with the full line it seems I keep gettin deficiencies and I can’t do anything about them or I will get nute burn from nutrients and lock it out I’ve lost a ton of seedlings to this once they first hit buckets

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Yeah bp may be why I’m deciding against hydro now even with the full line it seems I keep gettin deficiencies and I can’t do anything about them or I will get nute burn from nutrients and lock it out I’ve lost a ton of seedlings to this once they first hit buckets
i even talked with the rep from there,he was a co owner of the dank den website,all i got was snow job,like i say sales hype,it was a serious lesson learned for me,when my wife and girl friend plus myself really truely need the herb for meds,and that stuff even a 1/4 strength tore the shit up,only answer was guess your just not using it right,well difrent topagraphic areas need what adapt to that area,so told him never again and even told me oi could send it back for another lineup and of course i pay shipping back,so fuck um in the neck and went back to what i love organics,never turned back,i have never had any issues with fox farms,folk even say it to hot for seeds to germ,that a damn lie that the only way i do um so,the decision is yours friend

Tomn8r

Tomn8r

Fox Farms is good stuff! I'm running About 50/50 Ocean forest & cocoa coir with some pearlite. The cocoa & pearlite provide micro spaces in between for the benaficial microbes to grow! The cocoa coir has a neutral ph as well!

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Fox Farms is good stuff! I'm running About 50/50 Ocean forest & cocoa coir with some pearlite. The cocoa & pearlite provide micro spaces in between for the benaficial microbes to grow! The cocoa coir has a neutral ph as well!

I do the same. About 1/3 of each (little less perlite) but pretty close. Its a hard combo to beat IMO. Similar to supersoil but a lot less complicated. I see stores selling it premixed like this around here.

T

Thegatorade

Question when growing in soil how often do you water with nutrient solution and with just ph’d water? I’ve seen things range from nute solution every watering to nutes once every 3rd watering

eastcoastjoe

eastcoastjoe

If your not going to make your own soil or don’t care about it being all organic, pro mix or something similar like sunshine mix might be a easy transition for you.

It is basically a inert media so you could start feeding your plants right away, similar to how you use nutrients in a hydro grow. It should be much less maintenance than the buckets your doing and your nutrient program would be similar to what your doing now.

If your trying to get away from all the maintenance I would really consider trying no till. It’s so much easier, mixing nutrients and PH adjustments would be a thing of the past. You wouldn’t know what to do with yourself with all the free time you would have hahaha.

Check out this guys IG feed. These are the kinds of results you can get with no till gardening

Rcubed

Rcubed

If your not going to make your own soil or don’t care about it being all organic, pro mix or something similar like sunshine mix might be a easy transition for you.

It is basically a inert media so you could start feeding your plants right away, similar to how you use nutrients in a hydro grow. It should be much less maintenance than the buckets your doing and your nutrient program would be similar to what your doing now.

If your trying to get away from all the maintenance I would really consider trying no till. It’s so much easier, mixing nutrients and PH adjustments would be a thing of the past. You wouldn’t know what to do with yourself with all the free time you would have hahaha.

Check out this guys IG feed. These are the kinds of results you can get with no till gardening
Totally agree. I made the move to no-till this year for my outdoor grow. Here's three. I haven't touched them with any nutes or amendments since I mixed it.
IMG 20180617 131552 1

Top Bottom