Spydrx Plus Vs Hlg550s Round 2

• Thread starter PassTheJ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PassTheJ

So last time I asked we went 6 pages and 80 replies. Most were either for COBs or HLG550S because of the price and supposedly the same diodes are used.
There wasn't any specs listed so everyone just spoke their mind.

Now I have uploaded the specs for both and there are some clear differences. Anyone care to take another go?

I'd really appreciate it. I'm beginning to catch gray hairs..
Spydrx plus vs hlg550s round 2
Spydrx plus vs hlg550s round 2 2
Spydrx plus vs hlg550s round 2 3

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

the charts are to dissimilar to be used to determine anything

that aside, I have an original BML SYDR 600 (6 bars) with spectrums of my choosing based on spectrum knowledge from way back in 2014. It's ~ 85% CW/NW/WW with the remaining 15% a combination of 450 and 630

The SPYDR bars can be squeezed together, spread apart, or angled, which will alter the readings

Here's 2 @ (from seed) under it and 2 under a CoB hybrid
IMG 4235
IMG 4234
5 week old girls

P

PassTheJ

Wow that's a substantial difference. The COBs look way smaller.

Well at least you reaffirmed my thoughts on COBs compared to QBs. Lol.

Just looking at the spectrum charts though, Spyderx Plus seems better then the 550s with every band.

sixstring

sixstring

Wow that's a substantial difference. The COBs look way smaller.

Well at least you reaffirmed my thoughts on COBs compared to QBs. Lol.

Just looking at the spectrum charts though, Spyderx Plus seems better then the 550s with every band.
well its 160w more power and twice the size so it makes sense . but it appears they took the spyder readings from 6 inches with a par/ppfd meter where hlg put theirs into a sphere for lab data.how much on that spyder fixture? seen some amazing grows with them

P

PassTheJ

well its 160w more power and twice the size so it makes sense . but it appears they took the spyder readings from 6 inches with a par/ppfd meter where hlg put theirs into a sphere for lab data.how much on that spyder fixture? seen some amazing grows with them

How big of difference between a sphere test and 6in?

The SpyderXPlus is $1500 compared to HLG550S for $1000...

If I'm converting a 8 x 8 room, I kind of like the fact the spyder can be widened to better fit your needs.

It's so hard.. everyone's trying to sell COBs but that's not for me and I'm not knowledgable enough on electrical terminology and all the variables involved when calculating the efficiency of light to make a knowledgeable decision based on the specs provided.

I hate being stupid. It's like you need to go to multiple trade schools to understand every aspect of growing indoors.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I would like to see a sphere test on the spyder also. Its seems to be the only way to honestly compare lights from a independent lab.

sixstring

sixstring

How big of difference between a sphere test and 6in?

The SpyderXPlus is $1500 compared to HLG550S for $1000...

If I'm converting a 8 x 8 room, I kind of like the fact the spyder can be widened to better fit your needs.

It's so hard.. everyone's trying to sell COBs but that's not for me and I'm not knowledgable enough on electrical terminology and all the variables involved when calculating the efficiency of light to make a knowledgeable decision based on the specs provided.

I hate being stupid. It's like you need to go to multiple trade schools to understand every aspect of growing indoors.

Well if you put a par meter 12in from the hlg 550 it would also read about 1500ppfd maybe higher.my custom qb x cob panel(800w total) is doing 1540ppfd at 18in under the center
But for a 8x8 area you get 4 hlg55p they will cost 850.00 not a grand each.
Also look at the plc6 Which is 800 and perfect for a 4x4 area,pulls around 600w maybe 590.

P

PassTheJ

Well if you put a par meter 12in from the hlg 550 it would also read about 1500ppfd maybe higher.my custom qb x cob panel(800w total) is doing 1540ppfd at 18in under the center
Also look at the plc6 Which is 800 and perfect for a 4x4 area,pulls around 600w maybe 590.
Plc6.2 @ $3k @ 605w..
VS.
spyders @ $6k @ 650w
VS.
Hlg550s @ 3.5k @ 510w

Bro.. You didn't make it any easier by adding another set of great lights I wasn't aware of.

P

PassTheJ

4 Spyder @ 650w in a 8x8 = 40w p sq ft.. So if I hit 1.2 - 1.5 gpw, I'd be looking at roughly 7 pnds @ $200/month electric bill.

Honestly, that's a pretty sweet deal.. Even if I'm dropping 6k for 4 of them.

@$200 per 8x8, theres actually room to expand before the electric company gets curious..

Freshone

Freshone

How much of what you just said was cynicism?
I'm sure plenty would see right through that.
If you can afford that nice website with big claims and fancy prices you can afford a simple sphere test.
Im pretty sure they have done it and it would be posted on there site if it was positive.Alot of companies like fluence have spheres in house for testing too,they know.
Just because you make a light that looks like the new deathstar and charge alot doesnt mean anything without proof to me,for 1500 a crack yeah im a cynic.

P

PassTheJ

If you can afford that nice website with big claims and fancy prices you can afford a simple sphere test.
Im pretty sure they have done it and it would be posted on there site if it was positive.Alot of companies like fluence have spheres in house for testing too,they know.
Just because you make a light that looks like the new deathstar and charge alot doesnt mean anything without proof to me,for 1500 a crack yeah im a cynic.

Ok.. I see what you're saying.. Wouldn't there be a problem on a practical level though?

Not everyone who buys is a novice shlob with money to spend like myself. I'm sure many professionals with alot of experience and knowledge have purchased and used these lights.

Considering we live in a free market society, it's a safe bet that if a company doesn't advertise honestly, or if their product isn't holding up to the competition, especially being twice as expensive, there would be message boards filled with this.. blogs.. reviews.. ect..

From everything I've seen, not a single complaint. Epic epic grows. Multilayer grows. Something I've only seen with 550s and spyders...

Basically, all I'm saying is that if the discrepancy of products would be that noticable, Fluence wouldn't be able to sell them at the rate.

Even if people had bought these lights because they think more $$ = better product 100% of the time, sooner or later this discrepancy would be blasted all over the internet and the company would die off..

I dont know how serious the difference between a sphere test vs a non sphere test would be regarding the sale price but I'm sure if the difference was that big, Fluence wouldn't sell it at that price.. The economy wouldn't allow it.. atleast not for long..

That's why I asked if it was cynicism..

Freshone

Freshone

Listen blurple,A sphere test is the industry standard to test light output,most big companies own integrated spheres for in house testing but send out to independent labs for unbiased numbers.I am not knocking what they make or saying their bad all im saying is prove it,no need to baffle us with bullshit about how your bars are patent pending,or you have some special spectrum that no one else in the world has figured out.
Sphere test or shut the fuck up.

DGP

DGP

Listen blurple,A sphere test is the industry standard to test light output,most big companies own integrated spheres for in house testing but send out to independent labs for unbiased numbers.I am not knocking what they make or saying their bad all im saying is prove it,no need to baffle us with bullshit about how your bars are patent pending,or you have some special spectrum that no one else in the world has figured out.
Sphere test or shut the fuck up.

I am just curious, how do you test a light fixture that big in a lab sphere? I have never seen a sphere that big. We tested diodes on the component level and plasma arc lamps etc. I can see the Quantum boards fitting I into a large sphere but a SpyderX? maybe I am outta the loop but I have never seen a lab sphere that big and I can't imagine how much a really big sphere like that would cost if available. Maybe a commercial test lab has something like that but IDK......

Dee

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Personally, Im more interested in the umoles at ~ on foot inside the lights footprint perimeter. SPYDR umole measurement should be more consistent with the measurement one foot directly under the center

That said, CoBs can be raised higher above the canopy ~ 28" to compensate for such hot spots, whereas SPYDR can be lowered to ~ 6" above the canopy

Top Bottom