Sst - Barley Seeds With Long Roots

• Thread starter Kalikush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kalikush

Kalikush

Everything I've read says to use the seeds once they have roots about 1/4" long. I soaked them for 12ish hours, then rinsed them every 12 hours for a few days, they now have roots from 3/4" to over an inch, are these still usable?

J

jsv1027

Everything I've read says to use the seeds once they have roots about 1/4" long. I soaked them for 12ish hours, then rinsed them every 12 hours for a few days, they now have roots from 3/4" to over an inch, are these still usable?
How are your babies doing?

Irietime

Irietime

Plant them and find out. I would make a little deeper hole so the taproot can go in straight and the seed about quarter inch under the soil. Hope all works out for ya

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
They should be, but if you've waited several days you're probably missing out on some of the growth hormones most people are after. That said, I was using malted barley extract before anyone was talking about using barley for SSTs and it worked a treat. If you know what malting barley is then I think you'd be as surprised as I was.
Plant them and find out. I would make a little deeper hole so the taproot can go in straight and the seed about quarter inch under the soil. Hope all works out for ya
SST = sprouted seed tea. He's not going to plant them, he's going to harness the goodies held in the seed for other plants. :)

Irietime

Irietime

They should be, but if you've waited several days you're probably missing out on some of the growth hormones most people are after. That said, I was using malted barley extract before anyone was talking about using barley for SSTs and it worked a treat. If you know what malting barley is then I think you'd be as surprised as I was.

SST = sprouted seed tea. He's not going to plant them, he's going to harness the goodies held in the seed for other plants. :)
Thanks seamaiden, I realized after I posted that I was thinking he was talking about cannabis seeds, somehow I totally over looked the barley references:):smoking:ooops. Thanks for the sst definition, i was in the dark on that one, and now I'm in the light!

Kalikush

Kalikush

That's what I was worried about, it's tough to get the timing right since this organic stuff is all new to me. I'm having trouble with overwatering too, I didn't realize how much of my IPM spray (neem, agsil16h and aloe) the other day when directly into the soil and now my clones are definitely drooping. I've got the heater in the room now to try and dry the smarties out and hopefully get on track with wet/dry cycles. I'll see if I can time it out correctly for my root drench but I might have to sprout a couple batches of barley seeds. I'll look up malting barley too, thanks for the tip!

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Lift the pot, if it feels bottom heavy dont water, if it feels light then its time to water.

Kalikush

Kalikush

Lift the pot, if it feels bottom heavy dont water, if it feels light then its time to water.

I tried that but with seedlings in red cups, it was tough to tell. Ive sinced switched to 9oz clear cups about 2/3 full and have a small kitchen scale so I think I've got the watering down with these but now I've got another issue. I'll have to post a pic when I get a moment. I'm about to switch to fox farm soil and bottles lol this organic learning curve is getting the best of me at the moment..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Maybe if you can, put a heating pad or seedling mat underneath. That should help them dry out.

Kalikush

Kalikush

Maybe if you can, put a heating pad or seedling mat underneath. That should help them dry out.

I'll try that too since my seedlings keep dying! Can you please look at the post I'm going to type up now @Seamaiden?

Have you ever tried freezing the SST? I forgot I read a while back that you can freeze it for later use and that could be an option for me while I work out the timing.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No I haven't ever done that, but I don't see why it wouldn't work given what I've observed with the malted barley extract. It was even this 3 year old stuff my husband had left over from brewing, wouldn't use it to make another wort and there was a whole quart there, so I figured, Hey, might it work like molasses? And it pretty much does. It's tasty, too!

Anyway, if the old MBE helped in similar ways to using molasses and SST, I don't see why you can't freeze part of the batch and still get good effects. I certainly could be wrong, I don't know enough about the actual enzymes and such and how they may be affected by freezing. But being cooked didn't seem to do 'em in. So... yeah.

Kalikush

Kalikush

No I haven't ever done that, but I don't see why it wouldn't work given what I've observed with the malted barley extract. It was even this 3 year old stuff my husband had left over from brewing, wouldn't use it to make another wort and there was a whole quart there, so I figured, Hey, might it work like molasses? And it pretty much does. It's tasty, too!

Anyway, if the old MBE helped in similar ways to using molasses and SST, I don't see why you can't freeze part of the batch and still get good effects. I certainly could be wrong, I don't know enough about the actual enzymes and such and how they may be affected by freezing. But being cooked didn't seem to do 'em in. So... yeah.

I guess I can try it and use it if my timing is off when I need to water.

Top Bottom