Sterile UC users, how do you keep your reservoir sterile?

• Thread starter Mr.Sputnik
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dizzy Weasel

Dizzy Weasel

Loves Eating Tacos
Supporter
Another big helper is vermi crop's vermi tea, used as a folier spray twice a week as fresh as possible, a lot of hydro stores brew it... It's 20 for a gallon and you don't need to hassle with adding another job to your regimen by brewing your own just call around and get it fresh I get it from 3diff stores depending on when I need it and who has fresh tea... it will make the plant more healthy and it will create a heathyer root zone, this is the thing that has made everything 100% for me

Dizzy Weasel

Dizzy Weasel

Loves Eating Tacos
Supporter
Is that bleach the reg strength 6% chlorine? Or the concentrated @ 8.25%
I read that 1ml/gal to sterilize water, then 1/2ml /gal every 3-4 days @6%
I cant find 6% chlorine anymore. What ratio would you run the 8.25%??
The pool chlorine is 10% btw and I mix it at 200ml into a 1.5g then same application rate

Last edited:
F

FooDoo

Last edited:
Owlfarm

Owlfarm

Hey foodoo thats some great info, can you just add 5 grams to a five gallon container with spigot and use it as needed? Does it need to be stirred or mixed because of settling? Whats your method?

F

FooDoo

5 grams to 5 gallons is perfect. I do 1 gallon or 2.5 gallon jugs so I can shake it up really well. My containers aren't clear so I can't see if it settles, however, since pool shock is meant to just be sprinkled into pool water my assumption would be that its very solubale and quick dissolving.

If you can shake that 5 gallon jug up somehow even just a bit I'm sure it'll be good enough

dieseldawg2480

dieseldawg2480

have u tried it @1g/gal?? Whats the % of chlorine in the pool shock?

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

Thanks for the info foodoo, do you just add 1ml a gallon of that solution to your res?

F

FooDoo

I do 2ml per gallon once a week.

For flush I do straight RO and 5ml per gallon of the solution.

For cleaning I do 30ml per gallon and run that for 24 hours.

For cloning I do 6ml per gallon every 3 days in my diy ez cloner because water temps get to 80

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

Hey ucmenow whatcha mean by exhale? Like exhale this is a bad idea, or exhale thats some great herb?

notpatient

notpatient

" I HAVE YELLOW ROOTS"
I hope to revive this post to get a better understanding of what bleach can do pros\cons . I'm 3 weeks into veg and have yellow roots I used zone and the problem continued I went to my local hydro store and he suggested that I drain the system fill with RO and use UC roots at a whopping 10ml per gallon, its been 48 hours and there's been NO change!! For you all using bleach can you speak on the gains and its stability. I dont believe its Root rot but theres an issue and I would love to make it thru .
Im using supernatual aqua @ 250ppm
water temp 66 degrees

DapperDon

DapperDon

" I HAVE YELLOW ROOTS"
I hope to revive this post to get a better understanding of what bleach can do pros\cons . I'm 3 weeks into veg and have yellow roots I used zone and the problem continued I went to my local hydro store and he suggested that I drain the system fill with RO and use UC roots at a whopping 10ml per gallon, its been 48 hours and there's been NO change!! For you all using bleach can you speak on the gains and its stability. I dont believe its Root rot but theres an issue and I would love to make it thru .
Im using supernatual aqua @ 250ppm
water temp 66 degrees

Try using 1 mL of Clorox Bleach regular unscented / not splash guard for every 50 gallons instead of UC Roots. As FooDoo pointed out, UC Roots is what as known as Hypochlorous acid/Pool Shock is a free chlorine.

Calcium hypochlorite (Ca(OCl)2), also known as HTH, is a solid which is mixed with water to form a hypochlorite solution. Calcium hypochlorite is 65-70% concentrated.

Although decent in its own right, it is limited when combined with organic matter (the plants root system.).
Swimming pool water generally contains three types of chlorine commonly known as Free Chlorine, Combined Chlorine and Total Chlorine. Free Chlorine is the type that we commonly test for to determine the proper chlorine levels in pool water. To understand the difference between the three types of chlorine, consider this simple formula: FC + CC = TC. Free Chlorine is the chlorine that is still available to sanitize your water. Combined Chlorine is the chlorine that has already been "used up” sanitizing your water. And Total Chlorine is the sum of the two.
Think of it this way: when a chlorine compound is added to swimming pool or spa water, it reacts with water to form the compounds known as hypochlorous acid and hypochlorite ion. Together, these compounds are known as "free available chlorine” or "free chlorine.” The primary reason for adding chlorine to swimming pool water is to disinfect or kill possibly harmful microorganisms. But once the Free Chlorine has joined with ammonia and nitrogen compounds to form Combined Chlorine, its ability to disinfect is hindered.
Bleach on the other hand is a similar type of chlorine otherwise known as a combined chlorine. Commercial bleach is the bleach which you buy in a grocery store. The concentration of commercial bleach varies depending on the brand - Clorox bleach is 5% chlorine while some other brands are 3.5% concentrated
  • Sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) comes in a liquid form which contains up to 12% chlorine.
Hypochlorites and bleaches work in the same general manner as chlorine gas. They react with water and form the disinfectant hypochlorous acid. In general, disinfection using chlorine gas and hypochlorites occurs in the same manner. The differences lie in how the chlorine is fed into the water and on handling and storage of the chlorine compounds. In addition, the amount of each type of chlorine added to water will vary since each compound has a different concentration of chlorine. Bleach has more chlorine concentration and does not break down when it encounters ammonia and nitrogen. Either will work for hydro applications, it comes down to knowing you ratios and frequency but I have found liquid bleach to be more reliable in my system. I hope that helps.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie50151a022

notpatient

notpatient

Try using 1 mL of Clorox Bleach regular unscented / not splash guard for every 50 gallons instead of UC Roots. As FooDoo pointed out, UC Roots is what as known as Hypochlorous acid/Pool Shock is a free chlorine.
Just so Im hearing/reading you correctly Im to add 1ml per 50g or was it 1ml per gallon.
Dizzy weasel had another formula[bleach works great too... 200ml to a gallon to make a "solution" then i use the mix at 2-4ml a gallon] could you help me understand the differences between the 2 and how there so not alike ?

DapperDon

DapperDon

The equation is 1 mL of Clorox Bleach / 44 Gallons to reach a bleach solution of 0.50 PPM ( I base this off of the chlorine that is already in my water to come up with 50 gallons.). You never want to put more than 1.0 PPM of Chlorine for large healthy plants. I would advise to keep a residual level of 0.50 PPM Chlorine at all times as a preventative measure against plant pathogens and future root problems. Be sure to add you bleach before nutrients because the ammonia in base nutrients and GH's pH down cause the bleach to immediately evaporate as Cl2 gas. Chlorine naturally disappears in 3-4 days so add in your Chlorine every 4 days as a preventative measure against future root and pathogen problems.

mojavegreen

mojavegreen

Get yourself an ORP/REDOX meter and end the guessing!:rolleyes:

notpatient

notpatient

Im conflicted , I ml of clorax per 44 gallons sounds like a disaster wating to happen. Foodoo if you drank a gallon of bleach and it works fine start drinking Ill pay for your flight. BRING THAT PEE DUDE !!

DapperDon

DapperDon

How is that a disaster? The bleach to water ratio I just described will give a final ppm of 0.50.

N

NWElite89

@DapperDon
Could you start the bleach regimen(1ml ~ 50gal) in a middle of a grow cycle?

Latest posts

Top Bottom