Storage After Cure Question

• Thread starter h4ppyf4rmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I went through the search and really didn't get any conclusions for longer term storage (6 to 18 months).

right now, I'm about a month into my cure, all in quart mason jars with the rh between 55 and 60 in the jar. At this point, I've been burping them every 4 or 5 days for a few minutes just to circulate the air and feel it's time for a longer storage solution.

1. I could just leave them in the jars and just check/burp less frequently and store in a dark cool area. If I do this, how long is this good for?

2. I have an inexpensive foodsaver that I could use to seal them up. If I do this, how long is this good for and where do I store the sealed plastic bag, the freezer, fridge, dark cabinet in a cool place?

I don't what to buy any gadgets, gear, gas, I just want to use what I have to keep the bud as fresh as possible.

Thanks

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I bring the rh to 55% at least before I put in long term storage. I also vac seal my hard as needed.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I bring the rh to 55% at least before I put in long term storage. I also vac seal my hard as needed.

I only have three 1-Qt jars and I think one of them is spoken for. My next harvest (I'm hoping) will be bigger and better so I think I'm going to need a strategy for storage going forward. I might try to seal some with my foodsaver and see how that works.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I like wide mouth half gallon mason jars. A little more jar room is better than being stuffed and squished. The key is getting that rh to a good number so mold cant set in and ruin the meds. Why i shoot for 55% max. 50% minimum

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

so... I was correct, my current harvest is going to be pounds, not ounces. I'll definitely need some longer term storage. I did purchase 1/2 gal wide mouth mason jars. My Aurora Indica dried to 10.5 ounces from two plants. I'm currently drying my one White Widow and three blueberry. The Blueberry produced a crap lot more than the Aurora Indica.

My Question is: What unit amounts do you store for long term? Do I store individual ounces? 1/4 pound units? does it matter?

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

I like wide mouth half gallon mason jars. A little more jar room is better than being stuffed and squished. The key is getting that rh to a good number so mold cant set in and ruin the meds. Why i shoot for 55% max. 50% minimum

Yup - I can store larger, complete colas. Each gets a dedicated humidity meter. I use the quarts for trim shake, pints for kief. I do have an intermediate step after hanging to be sure the water content is in range for the jar - less than ~ 62% while in a covered plastic tub. The result is cured 12" or so flowers on a stick. I'll post photos next chance I get.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I do have an intermediate step after hanging to be sure the water content is in range for the jar - less than ~ 62% while in a covered plastic tub.
excellent idea, what size tubs do you use?

BudBogart

BudBogart

so... I was correct, my current harvest is going to be pounds, not ounces. I'll definitely need some longer term storage. I did purchase 1/2 gal wide mouth mason jars. My Aurora Indica dried to 10.5 ounces from two plants. I'm currently drying my one White Widow and three blueberry. The Blueberry produced a crap lot more than the Aurora Indica.

My Question is: What unit amounts do you store for long term? Do I store individual ounces? 1/4 pound units? does it matter?
Congrats on the abundant harvest. we use about 200 quart wide mouth mason jars to store our buds. We store the jars inside closed cardboard boxes, inside a bedroom closet that gets normal room air conditioning in the summer. The jars hold an oz, more or less, so it's a good size for using once opened. We might have 4-5 mason jars sitting out so we can keep different strains handy.
The weed remains perfectly smokable for a couple of years this way.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Glass > plastic
I agree, but I don't think it makes that much difference if you use the plastic bins for the transition between drying and curing just to see where the rh is. I've had everything jarred up too soon and had to dump it all out to open dry another day... kinda sucks, lol

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

My local ambient humidity is typicall y 50% or higher but rarely lower than 50% and that presents a problem in the fall harvest. Since the large colas still have a stem, I have to proceed slow and careful with evaluation before the jar. I take them from hanging just about the same time as most ( radial stems break when bent ) but there is a bit more water there in the branch - hence the week or two in the plastic bin to prevent a humidity bloom in a jar. Shake and trim bud I handle pretty much like everyone else since they lose too much water if left in a leaky plastic bin.

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

Glass > plastic

I agree. It just isn't leaky enough to suit the intended purpose. By the time they finish that step, I can decide if the beauty is there to save or do I trim it off stem or consider the concentrate path because the density is unsatisfactory for decent buds.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

hmm, after talking with someone today, I may not need as long a storage as I thought... I may end up with the opposite problem of running out before the next cycle is ready... I'm getting great feedback on my quality... I know, not a bad problem to have };-)

Poor dirt

Poor dirt

Long term ? Like burrying a few 5gal hommer buckets ? Buried 5 last fall... in vac sealed bags ... caulked around the lid then went around that in duct tape works great and I had the killa everyone still wanted in April or was it may ... when ever I was able to break ground ... don't forget about that frost lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom