Sulfur Burner Caused Leaf Damage. What Should I Do, If Anything?

• Thread starter sorrel23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sorrel23

sorrel23

Hey everyone. I did a sulfur burn on the 17th for six hours in my 12x12 veg room, treated for PM. I made the mistake of not waiting long enough after exhausting to turn the lights back on, and I think this is why they look like this, after a week. They're under 600w HPS lights that I think also were too close, they were about 2 feet away or less, I raised the up to about 3 to see if that would stop the progression of the damage. From what I've read, there's not much to be done for them except spray the leaves with some water to get the remaining sulfur off.. is this true? I'm mainly concerned because the damage looked worse today (1 week after spraying) after being gone for 36 hours, and I am wondering if it will progress further along this path. They look healthy otherwise and it seems the newest growth is fine on most of them. These are some of the worst, most of them don't look nearly as bad. Is there anything to be done? They do look really shitty. But my intuition is that they'll be fine?

Sulfur burner caused leaf damage what should i do if anything
Sulfur burner caused leaf damage what should i do if anything 2
Sulfur burner caused leaf damage what should i do if anything 3
nomdeplume

nomdeplume

They look healthy otherwise lol. Why were you using sulphur? Mold? Insects? Who recommended this to you? If you have mold you can try to cut it back and find and fix your humidity problem. The desired range is 40 to 60 percent ideally as close to fifty percent as possible. If you are dealing with insects use safers soap or a fogged like dr. doom. I think you should cut the shit parts out and let them grow back healthy or start over and don't do anything that extreme without testing what you are going to do on one part of one plant so you don't fuck your shit up. I would chalk this up as a learning experience.

nomdeplume

nomdeplume

Okay so was it powdery mildew? That's a bitch because it's systemic so you have to kill the plant to kill the disease. If you think you have a handle on it then certainly try to save it but you risk continuing the problem in perpetuity. Ideally you need to wash your space with a dilute bleach solution especially the places where a fungus could grow, try to eliminate them entirely. I would start over but I can understand if that doesn't work for you in that case do the above, cut out the damage and only the damage if you havr half leaves that's okay it still has chlorophyll which fuels growth, just the shit parts. I don't know if washing them is smart considering the mildew. Ultimately you have to deal with humidity and moisture or you may be plagued by this. You don't leave standing water post feeding or some other source of humidity like a reservoir? Do you have a way to measure humidity? The PM is usually symptomatic of another deeper issue.

sorrel23

sorrel23

that looks like bug damage not sulfer damage.just my op though
it's definitely the sulfur,
Okay so was it powdery mildew? That's a bitch because it's systemic so you have to kill the plant to kill the disease. If you think you have a handle on it then certainly try to save it but you risk continuing the problem in perpetuity. Ideally you need to wash your space with a dilute bleach solution especially the places where a fungus could grow, try to eliminate them entirely. I would start over but I can understand if that doesn't work for you in that case do the above, cut out the damage and only the damage if you havr half leaves that's okay it still has chlorophyll which fuels growth, just the shit parts. I don't know if washing them is smart considering the mildew. Ultimately you have to deal with humidity and moisture or you may be plagued by this. You don't leave standing water post feeding or some other source of humidity like a reservoir? Do you have a way to measure humidity? The PM is usually symptomatic of another deeper issue.
Yeah I just did a sulfur burn in all my spaces because their was a bit of PM and I wanted to nip it before it got bad. There's no PM problem now! I just wish I didn't cause another problem..

MeJuana

MeJuana

Sulphur dioxide mixed with water leads to sulphuric acid. I have never used a sulphur burner I am working from theory. I assume enough sulphur dioxide in the presence of dampness makes sense as the cause. Less sulphur burning and a stable humidity sounds logical try Googling that, I didn't it could be nonsense altogether.

Some strains/phenos are more prone to Powdery Mildew. Growing shouldn't be this hard. Don't let this be a reason you throw in the towel my shit grows itself now. When I started I had PM and I can cure your strain with harsh chemicals not meant for food crops but it will come back in 3 months regardless. Find another version of that strain or a different strain because breeders look for pm resistance qualities pointedly breeding that trait in but sometimes it doesnt always get picked up. Also clean your room with many things, rinse between washings. If you sulphur burn rinse with water and a mop the water will react with the acid harmlesly. Well ventaliated and with ppe is recommended.

P.S. typed on my phone hope it's readable I can't see what I've weitten lol

sixstring

sixstring

Yeah looking back at the pics it still dont look like sulfer,looks like a bug.but maybe its sulfer, you burned 2.5 times longer than i do and your space is 3/4 the size of mine.maybe just just used so much it did that but idk.my plants turn green and lush any time i use the burner.i run 2 hours for a 12 x 20 x 10h room.like @stonestacker said i would def scope some branches for bugs.
Looks like snail damage on a hosta lol

sorrel23

sorrel23

Thanks for all the replies! I am fairly sure it was caused by the sulfur as it happened right after I burned and my room is well taken care of, no bugs, clean, etc.. but I will check with my scope anyway. I'll let you know if I see anything! Mainly I am wondering if the damage was done, and this is just the result of it taking a few days to really show the extent of the damage because it took the plant tissues a while to die, or if this is going to continue because of the sulfur still being on the leaves, and if that's the case wondering if I should spray the leaves with something to get the sulfur off. My guess at this point is that it's the former situation but I figured I'd see if anyone else had been through this and knew either way. Like I said before I turned the lights on almost immediately after I burned and I don't think it got enough time to vent out. I also noticed the most severely damaged leaves are the ones closest to the lights, so... that's about all I got.

sixstring

sixstring

Yes you should do your burn at lights out and vent an hour or so before the lights come back on.were the plants closest to the burner worse than plants farther away?

sorrel23

sorrel23

Yes you should do your burn at lights out and vent an hour or so before the lights come back on.were the plants closest to the burner worse than plants farther away?
I did it with the lights out, I only exhausted the room for about 10 minutes before I turned the lights back on, and the plants that were directly under the lights are the ones that seem the most damaged. And I didn't spray anything on them before. :)

sorrel23

sorrel23

Again, mainly wondering if anyone knows if this damage is going to continue because the sulfur is on the leaves or if it has already been done, and I don't need to spray the leaves to get the sulfur off..

sixstring

sixstring

Yes if its from the sulfer it needs to be rinsed off.and that means spray with water and let dry before tossing them back under the lights again.that would be the first time i seen sulferdo that to a plant,any plant.and i have used burners in large scale greenhouses as well as my own garden for about 20 years or more.

sorrel23

sorrel23

Yes if its from the sulfer it needs to be rinsed off.and that means spray with water and let dry before tossing them back under the lights again.that would be the first time i seen sulferdo that to a plant,any plant.and i have used burners in large scale greenhouses as well as my own garden for about 20 years or more.
Thank you for your help, I appreciate your input. Good to know that you have never seen sulfur do that before.

nomdeplume

nomdeplume

50% relative humidity will stress the plants... And powdery mildew is not a systemic disease.
Okay epiphytic, might as well be systemic with the problems it causes and it's practically semantics at that point. I disagree with that assessment of humidity entirely. Cannabis is not, never has been, and never will be, a plant that thrives in high humidity and that website is junk science. I have, in twenty six years, never seen even a hint of the stresses you and the author of that article seem to believe are inevitable. I personally am not growing cannabis to be a medium for fungal diseases, it's only a matter of time if you follow that advice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom