Supersoil

• Thread starter Tearsofshiva
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tearsofshiva

Hey everyone!
Was wondering if anyone out there has any experience using supersoil as a medium?

Last year I did both my grows using supersoil in 5 gallon smart pots, with roots organic as the base soil in the top half of each pot and subcool's supersoil mix in the bottom half. I transplanted my seedlings in light warrior to smart pots the beginning of week 3 and by week 4 my plants seemed happy growing over an inch a day. However, week by week 5 it was a different story...

On about 50% of my plants began to develop weird symptoms of "taco-ing" where the leaves would fold up in half along each finger and the tips would curl over and downwards. Other plants among the group were completely healthy. By mid flowering all the signs of "taco-ing" had disappeared but on some of the plants that suffered badly there was discoloration sat the tips of the leaves that started yellow and eventually faded to brown and crispy. My total yield was just around .6 gram/watt of lighting which isn't great and I feel this is where my grow definitely underperformed.

A couple factors to consider:

Last season I wasn't running co2 in my room just exhale mycelium bags and this could be the biggest factor contributing to lower yields.

I didn't have my room outfitted with enough dehumidification and a.c. capabilities which led to large variations in humidity, which from what I understand can affect your vapor pressure deficit causing symptoms similar to nutrient deficiencies to occur.

I was happy with the potency of my harvest however I felt the flavor and yield weren't 10/10.

Any advice offered or experience with supersoil would be much appreciated!
Peace and positivity!

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

Sounds like your environment is a problem and possible bugs?? Scope your plants for spider mites. Been running super soil for awhile with great success. What's were your temps? Humidity?

T

Tearsofshiva

I examined carefully under the leaves and saw no evidence of spider mites or any pests for that matter, but my grow is in a basement so that's a constant concern.,,

My temps were low to mid 80's a tad on the warm side and as far as humidity goes I was all over the place! Not good, as I understand this is one of the biggest factors affecting g transpiration rAte which essentially controls how much nutrients your plant can access? Some rainy days it was up around 70 and I had two dehumidifier going which would raise the temp over 90.

For this year I installed a nice standing 12000 BTU AC unit, and plumbing for the whole room so as soon as I water all the runoff is pumped directly out of the room without being exposed to air. Between these two measures I hope to have the humidity on absolute lockdown lol.

Do you personally ever worry about pH when using the Supersoil??

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

The temps in the mid 80s can cause the taco effect. Do some research on VPD, but 90% is way to high. No! First rule in Organics I live by is, Never PH anything! It's counterproductive IMO, if you build your soil correctly, there should be plenty of buffers to control the PH. I only Tea and Water my plants.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

If you have good Air flow then 70% may not be to bad and if you never experience PM. Like I said do some research into VPD chart.

T

Tearsofshiva

The temps in the mid 80s can cause the taco effect. Do some research on VPD, but 90% is way to high. No! First rule in Organics I live by is, Never PH anything! It's counterproductive IMO, if you build your soil correctly, there should be plenty of buffers to control the PH. I only Tea and Water my plants.
I meant 90 degrees not 90 rh

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If the ambient temp is in the mid 80's the leaf surface temp may be much higher. That will cause the plant to transpire too much and it tacos the leaves to try to trap moisture. And then the burn starts.

Fans blowing in between the lights and canopy can help keep the heat away.

Top Bottom