Switching From Hps

• Thread starter MegaSuiter
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MegaSuiter

MegaSuiter

So it's getting closer to Summer, meaning A/C time! And I so happen to need new 1000w bulbs. So I thought instead of spending $700 on a mini split 12k btu, and $300 on (3) bulbs, I could use that money on Meizhi 1200w LEDs. I know you get what you pay for, but they sound promising. I can't find anyone actually stating their yields anywhere! I was getting roughly 20 Oz's/1000w (strain dependent). That's in a 5X5 area. I really don't think those LEDs can cover an area like that. Just hoping someone chimes in with real info, not a paid reviewer.....
Thanks!

Switching from hps
Switching from hps 2
DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I would get one of these if I had 1k to spend, or probably just the kit and build the frame to save a few bucks.

MegaSuiter

MegaSuiter

I appreciate that and those are nice set ups. Maybe down the line. I just know there are a couple cheaper LEDs, Viparspectra and Meizhi, on the come up. I have seen the par readings on YouTube. I'm just concerned about the footprint.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

So it's getting closer to Summer, meaning A/C time! And I so happen to need new 1000w bulbs. So I thought instead of spending $700 on a mini split 12k btu, and $300 on (3) bulbs, I could use that money on Meizhi 1200w LEDs. I know you get what you pay for, but they sound promising. I can't find anyone actually stating their yields anywhere! I was getting roughly 20 Oz's/1000w (strain dependent). That's in a 5X5 area. I really don't think those LEDs can cover an area like that. Just hoping someone chimes in with real info, not a paid reviewer.....
Thanks!

MegaSuiter

MegaSuiter

Yeah I get it, I'm answering my own questions. I'm going to buy one. Have a 1000w hps vs 1200w led. Over the same strain, same area, same everything. Worst case scenario it will make a decent veg light.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

You'll never beat that HPS with a 1200 watt LED. Of course if you buy a black dog, advanced Platinum or California light works you'll get better results than with your lower end units. To be honest galaxyhydro makes a pretty good light lots of red and they throw in UV and IR as well. I'm using two galaxyhydro 600 and some 3000k Cree cobs. My grow is a lot smaller than yours but it is still killer.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Yeah I get it, I'm answering my own questions. I'm going to buy one. Have a 1000w hps vs 1200w led. Over the same strain, same area, same everything. Worst case scenario it will make a decent veg light.
You might like those DIY Cree cobs. The only reason I use a low-end galaxyhydro is because it pumps out a ton of red and all the best NM

MegaSuiter

MegaSuiter

From what I am seeing from youtube, the meizhi 600w led produces 850 PAR at 18", the Galaxy hydro advertises around 600 PAR at that range. The Meizhi also has IR bulbs as well. Like I was saying it looks semi promising.

MegaSuiter

MegaSuiter

In my mind if I were to get (2) 600w panels, that would equal around 1700 PAR, and that's competing with 1000w HPS on paper.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

From what I am seeing from youtube, the meizhi 600w led produces 850 PAR at 18", the Galaxy hydro advertises around 600 PAR at that range. The Meizhi also has IR bulbs as well. Like I was saying it looks semi promising.
You're going to find there is a lot of BS out there about all those lights. Blue and red is your best bang for buck. Heavy on the red. Then if you want some full spectrum just use a cob

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

In my mind if I were to get (2) 600w panels, that would equal around 1700 PAR, and that's competing with 1000w HPS on paper.
It doesn't really work that way. It won't necessarily double your par it depends on the angle of the Lens a higher par may just mean more concentrated well a lower par could mean a wider spread. Or you could have a widespread with a super high par. The big question is how much do you want to spend

MegaSuiter

MegaSuiter

I get where you are coming from and that was on my mind. Like I said I'll probably just get one and if it doesn't work out then it's just over 1/3 of my plants. So win or lose I'll know and you guys will know.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

I get where you are coming from and that was on my mind. Like I said I'll probably just get one and if it doesn't work out then it's just over 1/3 of my plants. So win or lose I'll know and you guys will know.
any light will benefit you. Keep in mind light intensity is just as important as Spectrum. I am using the galaxyhydro because it uses 3 watt LEDs sits electricity and produces almost no heat. LEDs will produce a lot of heat equivalent to your HPS especially when you're using 5 and 10 watt LEDs. So from what you told me your main concern is heat. Platinum LED makes the coolest running unit I have first-hand experience with.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

I appreciate that and those are nice set ups. Maybe down the line. I just know there are a couple cheaper LEDs, Viparspectra and Meizhi, on the come up. I have seen the par readings on YouTube. I'm just concerned about the footprint.[/QUOTE don't get too caught up in all this par and footprint and all that junk they really give you a lot of false information. My best advice would be ask yourself two questions how much area do I want to cover and how much money do I want to spend.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Don't get too caught up in all that par and information a lot of it is lies anyway and misinformation to get you to buy a product. You need to ask yourself two questions how much area do I want to cover. You're looking at about a dollar per watt for your lower end stuff but you can get some decent stuff still. Or $2 and up for the best

Top Bottom