The Truth Finally Big Pharma You Sukk

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Heres a story straight out of AZ. When will they learn it takes the entire plant and not a synthetic for good medicine. We go to the voters box in Nov for Rec

Pharma Company Funding Anti-Pot Fight Worried About Losing Business, Filings Show
Lee Fang
Sep. 12 2016, 8:17 a.m.

Pharmaceutical executives who recently made a major donation to an anti-marijuana legalization campaign in Arizona claimed they were doing so out of concern for the safety of children — but their investor filings reveal that pot poses a direct threat to their plans to cash in on a synthetic cannabis product they have developed.

On August 31, Insys Therapeutics Inc. donated $500,000 to Arizonans for Responsible Drug Policy, becoming the single largest donor to the group leading the charge to defeat a ballot measure in Arizona to legalize marijuana.

The drug company, which currently markets a fast-acting version of the deadly painkiller fentanyl, assured local news reporters that they had the public interest in mind when making the hefty donation. A spokesperson told the Arizona Republic that Insys opposes the legalization measure, Prop. 205, “because it fails to protect the safety of Arizona’s citizens, and particularly its children.”

A Washington Post story on Friday noted the potential self-interest involved in Insys’s donation.

Investor filings examined by The Intercept confirm the obvious.

Insys is currently developing a product called the Dronabinol Oral Solution, a drug that uses a synthetic version of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) to alleviate chemotherapy-caused nausea and vomiting. In an early filing related to the dronabinol drug, assessing market concerns and competition, Insys filed a disclosure statement with the Securities and Exchange Commission stating plainly that legal marijuana is a direct threat to their product line:

Legalization of marijuana or non-synthetic cannabinoids in the United States could significantly limit the commercial success of any dronabinol product candidate. … If marijuana or non-synthetic cannabinoids were legalized in the United States, the market for dronabinol product sales would likely be significantly reduced and our ability to generate revenue and our business prospects would be materially adversely affected.

Insys explains in the filing that dronabinol is “one of a limited number of FDA-approved synthetic cannabinoids in the United States” and “therefore in the United States, dronabinol products do not have to compete with natural cannabis or non-synthetic cannabinoids.”

The company concedes that scientific literature has argued the benefits of marijuana over synthetic dronabinol, and that support for marijuana legalization is growing. In the company’s latest 10-K filing with the SEC, in a section outlining competitive threats, Insys warns that several states “have already enacted laws legalizing medicinal and recreational marijuana.”

Subsys, the fentanyl spray Insys makes, is used as a fast-acting pain reliever. Fenatyl is an opioid that has made headlines in recent years as the number of Americans overdosing on the drug has skyrocketed. Fenatyl is 50 times stronger than heroin and has been linked to the death of Prince earlier this year. Last month, two Insys executives pled guilty to a pay-for-play scheme to use speakers fees as a way to get doctors to prescribe Subsys.

Marijuana advocates claim that legalized pot has a variety of medical uses, including pain relief.

It’s not the first time pharmaceutical companies have helped bankroll the opposition to marijuana reform. The Community Anti-Drug Coalition of America, a nonprofit that organizes anti-marijuana activism across the country, has long received corporate sponsorship from Purdue Pharma, the makers of Oxycontin, and Janssen Pharmaceuticals, another opioid manufacturer.

J.P. Holyoak, chairman of the Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol, a group supporting the legalization ballot measure, released a statement condemning the Insys donation. “Our opponents have made a conscious decision to associate with this company,” Holyoak said. “They are now funding their campaign with profits from the sale of opioids — and maybe even the improper sale of opioids.”

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Hell yes and it is decades overdue. Fuck em and all their poisons. Leave America and go peddle your shit elsewhere or just go away and work on something that brings something positive to the people.
A lot of the animosity comes from them cheating taxes and workers... the people can only be fucked over for so long... they realize corporate America aint so good for america. Thats like the gov and weed. You cant own the patent to weed and then tell everyone its dangerous. The people IN TIME call bullshit

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

A lot of the animosity comes from them cheating taxes and workers... the people can only be fucked over for so long... they realize corporate America aint so good for america. Thats like the gov and weed. You cant own the patent to weed and then tell everyone its dangerous. The people IN TIME call bullshit
Yes, you can. Well, not you, but our government can, does, and will continue to do so. Awesome that kratom is schedule 1 now, I guess they have to make a super +1 scheduling for marijuana, as nothing in this world is more dangerous to our future, to our kid's futures, as the devil's lettuce.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Yes, you can. Well, not you, but our government can, does, and will continue to do so. Awesome that kratom is schedule 1 now, I guess they have to make a super +1 scheduling for marijuana, as nothing in this world is more dangerous to our future, to our kid's futures, as the devil's lettuce.
So the krantom is now a schedule 1 too... god i love our gov

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Not yet, go buy it all up, deadline for sales is 9/30/2016.
http://www.newsweek.com/dea-list-kratom-schedule-i-effectively-outlawing-herbal-supplement-495144
excerpt:

"...DEA spokesman Lawrence Payne tells Gizmodo that the move will allow research and the agency to catch up on kratom safety. “Temporary scheduling has been utilized quite a bit, particularly as the many designer synthetic drugs have made their way from China and other parts of the world so this is not uncommon,” he said. “This gives us up to three years to research whether something should be permanently controlled or whether it should revert back to non-controlled status.”

There’s not much evidence that kratom represents a grave danger to the country. In the notice, the DEA says that calls to poison centers relating to kratom have increased recently, with a total of 660 calls received from 2010 to 2015. To put that in perspective, as writer David Kroll notes in Forbes, there were 6,843 reports of young children eating single-load laundry pods in the first seven months of 2016.

The agency also notes that kratom has been associated with 30 deaths throughout the world, ever. None of these incidents appear to be solely due to kratom. This also pales in comparison to the number of deaths due to legal drugs like prescription painkillers, which kill on average 52 people due to overdose every day in the United States alone.

And there’s anecdotal evidence that kratom can help wean people off addiction to stronger opiates like heroin, according to a 2015 literature review in the International Journal of Legal Medicine. This review also noted that “kratom is considered minimally toxic,” and that there’s no good evidence of kratom alone leading to death."

Marijuana helps PTSD? OUTLAW THAT FUCKIN SHIT
Kratom anecdotally helps treat withdrawal from opiate addiction? OH HELL NAW NO WAY JOSE GET THAT ASIAN JUNGLE MAGIC VOODOO SHIT OUT OF THIS CUNT-RY
Morphine kills pain? But we have synthetic versions that cost much more and help our buddies at big pharma. MAKE THAT OPIATE SHIT SCHEDULE ONE TOO. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I'm sorry, that's what happens with our legislature in my mind. Or, pick the one who will write the biggest check and that's who they'll get behind.

Those no good fuckin potheads, think they have rights n shit.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
yes it will be soon bro...... absurd ..... but thats how the gov rolls, right the fukk over the little guy. Corporate merica enjoys their favor well above We the People. Half of them fokkers after they leave Congress or the prez's cabinet or any other branch typically go to work for the very organizations they helped in the 1st place.

Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey

Premium Member
Supporter
I was prescribed dronabinol during my cancer treatments earlier this year. It's no where close to marijuana. Then the cost of it is outrageous a month prescription will run you over $700. I was lucky in the fact that my insurance paid for all but $60 bucks. As time went on I stopped taking it because the real deal treated me 200% better. In fact I gave those meds to another patient who was terminal and could not smoke due to COPD. It did help her appetite but that's it.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Heres a story straight out of AZ. When will they learn it takes the entire plant and not a synthetic for good medicine. We go to the voters box in Nov for Rec

Pharma Company Funding Anti-Pot Fight Worried About Losing Business, Filings Show
Lee Fang
Sep. 12 2016, 8:17 a.m.

Pharmaceutical executives who recently made a major donation to an anti-marijuana legalization campaign in Arizona claimed they were doing so out of concern for the safety of children — but their investor filings reveal that pot poses a direct threat to their plans to cash in on a synthetic cannabis product they have developed.

On August 31, Insys Therapeutics Inc. donated $500,000 to Arizonans for Responsible Drug Policy, becoming the single largest donor to the group leading the charge to defeat a ballot measure in Arizona to legalize marijuana.

The drug company, which currently markets a fast-acting version of the deadly painkiller fentanyl, assured local news reporters that they had the public interest in mind when making the hefty donation. A spokesperson told the Arizona Republic that Insys opposes the legalization measure, Prop. 205, “because it fails to protect the safety of Arizona’s citizens, and particularly its children.”

A Washington Post story on Friday noted the potential self-interest involved in Insys’s donation.

Investor filings examined by The Intercept confirm the obvious.

Insys is currently developing a product called the Dronabinol Oral Solution, a drug that uses a synthetic version of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) to alleviate chemotherapy-caused nausea and vomiting. In an early filing related to the dronabinol drug, assessing market concerns and competition, Insys filed a disclosure statement with the Securities and Exchange Commission stating plainly that legal marijuana is a direct threat to their product line:

Legalization of marijuana or non-synthetic cannabinoids in the United States could significantly limit the commercial success of any dronabinol product candidate. … If marijuana or non-synthetic cannabinoids were legalized in the United States, the market for dronabinol product sales would likely be significantly reduced and our ability to generate revenue and our business prospects would be materially adversely affected.

Insys explains in the filing that dronabinol is “one of a limited number of FDA-approved synthetic cannabinoids in the United States” and “therefore in the United States, dronabinol products do not have to compete with natural cannabis or non-synthetic cannabinoids.”

The company concedes that scientific literature has argued the benefits of marijuana over synthetic dronabinol, and that support for marijuana legalization is growing. In the company’s latest 10-K filing with the SEC, in a section outlining competitive threats, Insys warns that several states “have already enacted laws legalizing medicinal and recreational marijuana.”

Subsys, the fentanyl spray Insys makes, is used as a fast-acting pain reliever. Fenatyl is an opioid that has made headlines in recent years as the number of Americans overdosing on the drug has skyrocketed. Fenatyl is 50 times stronger than heroin and has been linked to the death of Prince earlier this year. Last month, two Insys executives pled guilty to a pay-for-play scheme to use speakers fees as a way to get doctors to prescribe Subsys.

Marijuana advocates claim that legalized pot has a variety of medical uses, including pain relief.

It’s not the first time pharmaceutical companies have helped bankroll the opposition to marijuana reform. The Community Anti-Drug Coalition of America, a nonprofit that organizes anti-marijuana activism across the country, has long received corporate sponsorship from Purdue Pharma, the makers of Oxycontin, and Janssen Pharmaceuticals, another opioid manufacturer.

J.P. Holyoak, chairman of the Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol, a group supporting the legalization ballot measure, released a statement condemning the Insys donation. “Our opponents have made a conscious decision to associate with this company,” Holyoak said. “They are now funding their campaign with profits from the sale of opioids — and maybe even the improper sale of opioids.”

Opiate epidemic, mass deaths, but hey more junkies means more profits. Studies show huge cause of smack addiction starts with prescribed pills.

Prince dead. Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Belushi. Bradley from Sublime. Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon. Jerry Garcia, most likely. Countless others. Its evil.

Herb proven analgesic catalyst. It helps pain killers work better!

NOW kratom outlawed. Gee. Wonder who decided that??

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

The Dem crony fascist scumbags (who I used to vote for, always) fvcked Bernie and the millions upon millions who voted for him. Stole countless primaries. Proven. Stanford, UC Berkeley, both proved it was widespread.

He regularly spoke to decrim herb and arrest bankers, etc.

The entire media propaganda monopoly (6 corporations, all of which donated to HRC, none ever EVER disclaim it, CNN her #7 donor since day one, etc) painted him as crazy, communist, all that bullshit.

European nations have far stronger economies with far less resources, even per capita. And here the 1% rob the 99% and claim they can't pay taxes, etc.

Nearly 600k cannabis arrests last year, 2015, when half of states are at least medical. Those people are not only not contributing to the economy now, but are a huge drain on state legal systems.

Fk the war on drugs. And its couch. AND NOW Chelsea Clt0n LIES and says herb kills. Literally this week. Jesus.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Opiate epidemic, mass deaths, but hey more junkies means more profits. Studies show huge cause of smack addiction starts with prescribed pills.

Prince dead. Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Belushi. Bradley from Sublime. Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon. Jerry Garcia, most likely. Countless others. Its evil.

Herb proven analgesic catalyst. It helps pain killers work better!

NOW kratom outlawed. Gee. Wonder who decided that??
I don't think anyone can argue that there isn't diversion of these high dose opiod pain relievers to the black market, but I also don't think anyone can argue that chronic, severe pain exists and there is a need for these high dose opiates. Of course addiction is a potential threat but it's one that comes with the territory. Is potential addiction a valid trade off for potential cure or positive outcomes from treatment? What studies can you cite that say what you claim?

I would argue that weak parenting is the gateway drug, which turns into tobacco, which turns into alcohol, which turns into pills, which turns into meth.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with prescription drugs and how they are bought and paid for. The pills that end up on the street are likely diverted from people who have prescriptions from real doctors. The majority of Americans have insurance* through their employer, and most employer plans have copays for Rx. A patient filling a script at the pharmacy, then selling those pills illegally does not make more junkies, and it does nothing to affect the P & L of a major drug company.

I see stories about people like Siobhan Reynolds, and I believe that these drugs do have a place. Diversion is a problem but preventing people in pain from relief is none of my business, and it's none of your business either. If you disagree, tell me why I am wrong. I would love to be wrong on this one. I would encourage you to look at the names you have in your post, and then consider that their celebrity is more likely the reason that they had access to these meds. Whether they were administered properly or not is a question for the FDA and/or DEA, but that's a whole other can of worms.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/03/champion-of-pain-relief-siobhan-reynolds-dead-in-plane-crash/
I further encourage you to read about Siobhan, but if you don't click that link, at least read this:

"All of us are irreplaceable to someone—but few are irreplaceable in the public sphere. Siobhan Reynolds, 50, founder of the Pain Relief Network, who died in a plane crash Christmas Eve, was the exception. She tirelessly, compassionately and at huge financial and emotional cost to herself, worked to debunk myths about opioid treatment of chronic pain that continue to emerge even now.

The aspiring documentary filmmaker and mother of one was moved to activism by the overwhelming chronic pain suffered by her husband. Further spurred by learning that her son had inherited the same genetic disease, Reynolds was relentless.

Why, she asked, when opioids can help treat chronic pain, are they frequently only available to the dying—but not if your agony will last years? Why, when addiction to opioids is actually rare, do we treat them as though everyone who takes these drugs is likely to get instantly hooked? And why do we seem to see addiction—even in the dying— as a worse side effect than agony or even death?

To answer these questions, she educated herself in the intricacies of pharmacology, public policy, medicine and law. A master at simplifying complex stories for the media, Reynolds then used every means at her disposal to bring what she found to public attention." [more at link]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1156114

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

The Dem crony fascist scumbags (who I used to vote for, always) fvcked Bernie and the millions upon millions who voted for him. Stole countless primaries. Proven. Stanford, UC Berkeley, both proved it was widespread.

He regularly spoke to decrim herb and arrest bankers, etc.

The entire media propaganda monopoly (6 corporations, all of which donated to HRC, none ever EVER disclaim it, CNN her #7 donor since day one, etc) painted him as crazy, communist, all that bullshit.

European nations have far stronger economies with far less resources, even per capita. And here the 1% rob the 99% and claim they can't pay taxes, etc.

Nearly 600k cannabis arrests last year, 2015, when half of states are at least medical. Those people are not only not contributing to the economy now, but are a huge drain on state legal systems.

Fk the war on drugs. And its couch. AND NOW Chelsea Clt0n LIES and says herb kills. Literally this week. Jesus.
Fucking Nihilists! Can we be friends? Points for 'fascists' usage.
Nonsense

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

I don't think anyone can argue that there isn't diversion of these high dose opiod pain relievers to the black market, but I also don't think anyone can argue that chronic, severe pain exists and there is a need for these high dose opiates. Of course addiction is a potential threat but it's one that comes with the territory. Is potential addiction a valid trade off for potential cure or positive outcomes from treatment? What studies can you cite that say what you claim?

I would argue that weak parenting is the gateway drug, which turns into tobacco, which turns into alcohol, which turns into pills, which turns into meth.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with prescription drugs and how they are bought and paid for. The pills that end up on the street are likely diverted from people who have prescriptions from real doctors. The majority of Americans have insurance* through their employer, and most employer plans have copays for Rx. A patient filling a script at the pharmacy, then selling those pills illegally does not make more junkies, and it does nothing to affect the P & L of a major drug company.

I see stories about people like Siobhan Reynolds, and I believe that these drugs do have a place. Diversion is a problem but preventing people in pain from relief is none of my business, and it's none of your business either. If you disagree, tell me why I am wrong. I would love to be wrong on this one. I would encourage you to look at the names you have in your post, and then consider that their celebrity is more likely the reason that they had access to these meds. Whether they were administered properly or not is a question for the FDA and/or DEA, but that's a whole other can of worms.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/03/champion-of-pain-relief-siobhan-reynolds-dead-in-plane-crash/
I further encourage you to read about Siobhan, but if you don't click that link, at least read this:

"All of us are irreplaceable to someone—but few are irreplaceable in the public sphere. Siobhan Reynolds, 50, founder of the Pain Relief Network, who died in a plane crash Christmas Eve, was the exception. She tirelessly, compassionately and at huge financial and emotional cost to herself, worked to debunk myths about opioid treatment of chronic pain that continue to emerge even now.

The aspiring documentary filmmaker and mother of one was moved to activism by the overwhelming chronic pain suffered by her husband. Further spurred by learning that her son had inherited the same genetic disease, Reynolds was relentless.

Why, she asked, when opioids can help treat chronic pain, are they frequently only available to the dying—but not if your agony will last years? Why, when addiction to opioids is actually rare, do we treat them as though everyone who takes these drugs is likely to get instantly hooked? And why do we seem to see addiction—even in the dying— as a worse side effect than agony or even death?

To answer these questions, she educated herself in the intricacies of pharmacology, public policy, medicine and law. A master at simplifying complex stories for the media, Reynolds then used every means at her disposal to bring what she found to public attention." [more at link]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1156114
Ive survived massive reconstructive emergency life saving surgery, and Fentanyl kept me from screaming. Literally. I get it.

My point is the heavy over prescribing, mixing of pharma salesmen with doctors, pill factories, etc. Its an epidemic. Widespread, major problems. Not just kids. Ive read my share. Not here to disagree nor debate.

Point being, big pharma pimps Americans. Badly.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

You're outta your element, Donny.
I fixed your post.

Ive survived massive reconstructive emergency life saving surgery, and Fentanyl kept me from screaming. Literally. I get it.

My point is the heavy over prescribing, mixing of pharma salesmen with doctors, pill factories, etc. Its an epidemic. Widespread, major problems. Not just kids. Ive read my share. Not here to disagree nor debate.

Point being, big pharma pimps Americans. Badly.

Funk, I don't think there is much to debate, and I am not about to disagree with you about your own life experiences, and I don't care to debate a topic that I am not well versed in. There is nothing worse than being in real pain, and I don't think there are many people that have been through that pain like you obviously have. I haven't.

I see things from a different perspective on the insurance side, and I still don't disagree with anything you've said. I agree that over-prescribing medication is a widespread problem, from antibiotics to pain meds, and I think there are many factors that play into it. I think doctors over prescribe, over-test, and practice defensive medicine because they are afraid of getting sued in our lawsuit-happy population. For example, I am working with a client who told me she is healthy as a horse, doesn't smoke, doesn't drink. I am looking at a list of nine medications, the monthly cost with and without insurance is ridiculous. While I don't directly complain when drug reps come knocking it is obvious who they are selling to. Dirty old men listen and pay attention to tits and ass, because hey, tits and ass. "And hey, don't tell your patients but we'll give you X if you prescribe this drug. Is it hot in here? Let me take off my jacket."

Do you think the trend will reverse itself, or is big pharma becoming too big to fail? Not sarcastically, but do you think your doctors and drug companies are working together as opposed to working against each other? Do you think it's feasible to disrupt that process, or are we past the point of no return? Do you think there is a solution, or do their lobbyists have deep pockets and no gag reflex?

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

I fixed your post.

Funk, I don't think there is much to debate, and I am not about to disagree with you about your own life experiences, and I don't care to debate a topic that I am not well versed in. There is nothing worse than being in real pain, and I don't think there are many people that have been through that pain like you obviously have. I haven't.

I see things from a different perspective on the insurance side, and I still don't disagree with anything you've said. I agree that over-prescribing medication is a widespread problem, from antibiotics to pain meds, and I think there are many factors that play into it. I think doctors over prescribe, over-test, and practice defensive medicine because they are afraid of getting sued in our lawsuit-happy population. For example, I am working with a client who told me she is healthy as a horse, doesn't smoke, doesn't drink. I am looking at a list of nine medications, the monthly cost with and without insurance is ridiculous. While I don't directly complain when drug reps come knocking it is obvious who they are selling to. Dirty old men listen and pay attention to tits and ass, because hey, tits and ass. "And hey, don't tell your patients but we'll give you X if you prescribe this drug. Is it hot in here? Let me take off my jacket."

Do you think the trend will reverse itself, or is big pharma becoming too big to fail? Not sarcastically, but do you think your doctors and drug companies are working together as opposed to working against each other? Do you think it's feasible to disrupt that process, or are we past the point of no return? Do you think there is a solution, or do their lobbyists have deep pockets and no gag reflex?
Right on bro. Didnt want you to think I see no place for opiods or they're useless.

To add to your point, even worst that the T+A show? Study showed pharma salespeople can get most doctors to push their products for the grand investment of.... lunch.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

I wanted to post a pic with the full stfu but I thought that was a bit too much asshole since I haven't gotten to shake your hand.

I'm not surprised that the fun ends with lunch, no doubt those grey hairs have other thoughts, I imagine those sales reps have showers at work. I used to feel bad for them but hot girls have it easy. Get the old guys to chub up a bit and they'll agree to almost anything. Dick and brain but only enough blood for one. It's so dirty, but I am a hypocrite. I used to love getting my hair cut when I was young because the stylist had huge jugs and young me thought she was trying to push me out of the chair with those monsters. She must not have known that mom was tipping, not ten year old me.

What were we talking about again? I got distracted.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Was looking back thru old threads and feel this one in particular needed a bump to refresh and revisit this topic. With that said did anyone see the 60 Minutes expose with a former DEA whistleblower a few weeks ago concerning the opiod epidemic and the DEA and the 3 major distributors of prescription opiods nationally. Wow what a scandal that turned out to be.
How can anyone justify shipping 1.5 million doses of oxycontin to a small town in Virginia with a population of 3500 people?

If you havent seen the episode I speak of watch it if you can access it. It horrified me, but truly didn't surprise me one bit.

Here is the link for a portion of the investigative report.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minutes...cc3QFDwlPJ/meet-60-minutes-dea-whistleblower/

Top Bottom