Things To Be Aware Of With Happy Frog Soil

• Thread starter Mr.jiujitsu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

I decided to give fox farms happy frog soil a try. I added nothing and am wishing I had added some periculite for drainage. That aside it looks great and was stored inside. No signs of bugs which I always look for when making my own.

What advise can people give, these are still vegging just transplanted from 2g containers to 7 gal airpots

Things to be aware of with happy frog soil

WhtChocolate

WhtChocolate

I decided to give fox farms happy frog soil a try. I added nothing and am wishing I had added some periculite for drainage. That aside it looks great and was stored inside. No signs of bugs which I always look for when making my own.

What advise can people give, these are still vegging just transplanted from 2g containers to 7 gal airpots

View attachment 830411

How do you like the air pots?

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Love them. These are a copy off of amazon but they work great. I would say they are the best pots I have ever used. I do super long veg stages as I can only flower two at a time and have 4 not flowering. These pots have done me well and I plan on going to the 3 gal ones for my starters

Monster762

Monster762

Love them. These are a copy off of amazon but they work great. I would say they are the best pots I have ever used. I do super long veg stages as I can only flower two at a time and have 4 not flowering. These pots have done me well and I plan on going to the 3 gal ones for my starters
Stupid question but how is the pot different than say fabric pot? It breathes better or? I grow soil in pots and seen these a few times. Always with good growth.

rootexcess

rootexcess

I added nothing and am wishing I had added some periculite for drainage.

Perlite you mean? lol sorry but I read that over a few times and thought I was going crazy. But yes, I would heavily recommend adding perlite in the future. What advise are you looking for exactly though? There is an endless pool of potential grow advise one could provide for growers.

I haven't used air pots, but I do enjoy Radicle Bags. I'm not a huge fan of fabric pots like Smart Pots, even though they are still a step above standard plastic pots.

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Perlite you mean? lol sorry but I read that over a few times and thought I was going crazy. But yes, I would heavily recommend adding perlite in the future. What advise are you looking for exactly though? There is an endless pool of potential grow advise one could provide for growers.

I haven't used air pots, but I do enjoy Radicle Bags. I'm not a huge fan of fabric pots like Smart Pots, even though they are still a step above standard plastic pots.

Yea you are dead on I do t know why I wrote that lol too much butter today

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Advise was on feeding..... but I’ll just go low strength and monitor

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Stupid question but how is the pot different than say fabric pot? It breathes better or? I grow soil in pots and seen these a few times. Always with good growth.
Sales ploy!

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I’ve been running happy frog for some time now. I always layer perlite at the bottom of the pot 2inches (20gallon) for my ladies. Then mix perlite 15% and 10% worm castings to the mix.
To add.....I use a mix of HF and other FF soils..Thru the years, I always find a few Gnats that hatch after I begin actually using the soil with water and plants..Now I open the bags, in the garage, and spray some Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew on the top of the soil..seems to eliminate most of the bastards..Any more that hatch usually get nabbed by sticky traps above all plants. Happy Frog is ok, but thick as Sh** and kinda twiggy....I add upwards of 25% coarse Perlite to my mix/ (also if they get out of hand..perlite as a top dressing keeps the babies from getting a grip..breaking the life cycle.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
To add.....I use a mix of HF and other FF soils..Thru the years, I always find a few Gnats that hatch after I begin actually using the soil with water and plants..Now I open the bags, in the garage, and spray some Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew on the top of the soil..seems to eliminate most of the bastards..Any more that hatch usually get nabbed by sticky traps above all plants. Happy Frog is ok, but thick as Sh** and kinda twiggy....I add upwards of 25% coarse Perlite to my mix/ (also if they get out of hand..perlite as a top dressing keeps the babies from getting a grip..breaking the life cycle.
Yes, top dressing is absolutely needed! I like to use the crumbs at the bottom of the bags. Seems to eliminate hatching bugs since my last infestation.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Agreed they are not very well draining . And yep knats are always , always in that sucker!!

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

No, not yet! Still snapping and biting!! View attachment 830421 boys are on gaurd!! View attachment 830422That’s his plant!! He won’t let me touch her!!
Love them..Mine are smaller but the Aussie is a real bastard and will eat an intrude for dinner..Fast AF, but if they don't get em..my 9 mm surely will!! Seriously.. Thems some mighty fine looking trees you have there..From the looks..you must be way farther north of me (Reno) since mine are about to get flushed.
Little brown gal is only 6 months old and still too sweet..Zipper (the Aussie will change all that shortly..LMAO)
6 13 18 2
7 26 18 4

9 16 18

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Happy Frog can be a bit alkaline, in my recent experience. I had to add some aluminum sulphate to get pH down to 6.5. Plants were much happier after I did that. Other than that, I have had fine results. It's a nutrient mild soil; regular feeding is recommended for best results, unlike Ocean Forest, which can be pretty hot out of the bag.

Therighthigh

Therighthigh

Ive added roots organic original and happy frog together for this recent grow outside and the plants love it. The shop had ran out of roots organic so i went two and two and mixed them.... but you’re not the first person to tell me that about it being hot. The alkaline i wasnt aware of thanks

Therighthigh

Therighthigh

But I’ve seen this other soil called mothers earth groundswell that ive been considering trying on my next grow for indoors. Might do a side by side

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
But I’ve seen this other soil called mothers earth groundswell that ive been considering trying on my next grow for indoors. Might do a side by side
Let us know how that works bro! I seen that batch and price point is great.!!

Top Bottom