Thoughts, Lights Too Intense, Nitrogen Deficient?

• Thread starter Phylex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Phylex

Phylex

What's up everyone, hopefully all is well. My girls are starting week 3 of flower. The new upper growth of the top flowers is growing out yellow. My first thought is either the lighting being too intense and its bleaching. My second thought is possibly nitrogen deficient. (They're still stretching)

My 1000w HPS is approx. 16" from the tops. I've kept it at this distance throughout the grow and they've been doing fine up until now.

I've continued running the veg nute schedule (emerald harvest) for the first week of flower. I switched to the bloom schedule three feeds ago. (Feed Bloom - Water - Feed Bloom)

Temps, RH, and soil PH are fine.

I raised the lights today to 21" above the tallest top and now range between 21-24"+ across the entire canopy. Any thoughts?

Here's some pics. They're not the best because the lights are pretty intense and I didn't have enough hands to hold the filtered lens, blocking out the yellow light. I tried shading the light with my hand so you could see what I see.

Thoughts lights too intense nitrogen deficient
Thoughts lights too intense nitrogen deficient 2
Thoughts lights too intense nitrogen deficient 3
Thoughts lights too intense nitrogen deficient 4
Thoughts lights too intense nitrogen deficient 5
Thoughts lights too intense nitrogen deficient 6
Phylex

Phylex

I'm more concerned about the tops. Some of the yellowing fade of the lower leaves in the pics are mainly from the yellow HPS lighting combined with my hand shading. These are taken in the areas of the most intense light. maybe a night pic with flash would be better to show whats true?

walkndisastr

walkndisastr

If youre taking the pic with ur phone, I just turn my video on with my phone and record and there's a feature on my phone that you can take pics while ur recording video. The reason for this is that the video recording will turn the flash on and keep it on while its filming and then as i hit the shutter button to take the picture, because the light has been on the lens has time to adjust and the pics are actually of a higher quality than they would if I took the image with the flash on only. Of course yhou got to turn the grow lamps off while you do this. This is to get no colored pix when you only have the grow lamps as ur light source...just an FYI an how I get better non colored pics of my plants and that way these guys on here who can help with this thing have the best images possible...hope this helps and if its not what the problem is, I apologize for the interruption...WD

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Wow those are bleached. Its either light burn or possibly a deficiency of some micro element like iron. I would get the lights even higher at this point. Like 36” maybe to see if that helps.

Phylex

Phylex

Wow those are bleached. Its either light burn or possibly a deficiency of some micro element like iron. I would get the lights even higher at this point. Like 36” maybe to see if that helps.
Yeah, it's crazy. It just started showing the last couple of days. It's hard to believe it's deficient considering I just hit it with full strength the day before yesterday. Run Off was 6.4-6.5 with an EC of 1.6.

The only potential deficiency I could think of was the nitrogen because I recently switched to bloom feeding and it's stretching, but I thought that would be unlikely. But what do I know. I'm still new to this. I'm using the full Emerald Harvest line. But I don't know. I'm not sure if I have a full 36" inches left. But I can try to go to the maximum height if this keeps up.

Phylex

Phylex

I was told 12-16" is fine for the light height. And it has been until now. But from what little I know, it does look like they're bleaching. Quite the conundrum

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I was told 12-16" is fine for the light height. And it has been until now. But from what little I know, it does look like they're bleaching. Quite the conundrum
Ideally with that wattage, 23” at a min, but if you have a par meter that number can be more accurate based of output. Bulbs do fade over time and ppl lower em to get more out of it. But if it’s a new bulb, go for the tried and true method, 20-22” from canopy

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Yeah, it's crazy. It just started showing the last couple of days. It's hard to believe it's deficient considering I just hit it with full strength the day before yesterday. Run Off was 6.4-6.5 with an EC of 1.6.

The only potential deficiency I could think of was the nitrogen because I recently switched to bloom feeding and it's stretching, but I thought that would be unlikely. But what do I know. I'm still new to this. I'm using the full Emerald Harvest line. But I don't know. I'm not sure if I have a full 36" inches left. But I can try to go to the maximum height if this keeps up.

Nitrogen is mobile starts at the bottom usually. These are bleached, probably because of the light intensity. I havent personally ran into serious micro element problems yet but it also looks like one. I wouldn’t try to correct at this point because we are not sure and i suggest you do a slurry test instead of taking ph from runoff. Take some soil from the rootzone, mix with distilled water, stir really well, let it settle for 10-15 minutes and take the reading with your meter. You’re gonna annoy them a bit but necessary imo.

Phylex

Phylex

Ideally with that wattage, 23” at a min, but if you have a par meter that number can be more accurate based of output. Bulbs do fade over time and ppl lower em to get more out of it. But if it’s a new bulb, go for the tried and true method, 20-22” from canopy
Yeah, it’s a brand new bulb. I don’t own a PAR meter

Phylex

Phylex

Nitrogen is mobile starts at the bottom usually. These are bleached, probably because of the light intensity. I havent personally ran into serious micro element problems yet but it also looks like one. I wouldn’t try to correct at this point because we are not sure and i suggest you do a slurry test instead of taking ph from runoff. Take some soil from the rootzone, mix with distilled water, stir really well, let it settle for 10-15 minutes and take the reading with your meter. You’re gonna annoy them a bit but necessary imo.
I actually forgot that I have a kit to test the NPK in the soil. I could always take a gander using that if necessary. If testing PH, I have the soil blue lab ph meter

Top Bottom