Timing your water and feed applications

• Thread starter ftwendy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ftwendy

ftwendy

We were discussing this in Cap's Tea thread, and it started to jack things a bit. I think its an important discussion...
kushtrees said:
This seems like a dumb question but what the heck...

Is there any less benefit from watering with tea during the night cycle? I dnt have time to do it during lights on and was just curious
ftwendy said:
Watering at night is generally a bad idea, ime... inviting humidity spikes and drowned roots. Sometimes you just have to be a slave to the plant. :)

Capulator: There are some very good growers that swear by watering with only water at night, no nutes. So, nutes during the day, only water at night. Plants do drink at night, so yes you can apply tea at night. You do want to be careful with over watering, but when you water should not be a consideration

Ftwendy: No fooling? Wow.

I never knew that you could water at night as part of a regimen... I've only done it in emergency situations. I have an automatic setup that applies fresh water three times during the lights on (I manually apply feedings daily in a dtw setup). I've always gone through a few days of interrupted sleep while waiting to dial in the timing of waterings when I transfer plants from veg into the flower area... all so I could avoid applying water during the dark. Seems like wasted effort now. I've been doing that for years. :)

Do you apply water at night?

squiggly: I mean just think about it dude. Does it rain at night?

I am like a super nerd scientist, but more often than not the people I see having any kind of trouble are the people who have thought the most about shit.

Seed in dirt, and get out of the way. It has always worked for me (but then I again I'm organic soil and mostly worry about keeping the soil alive).

budboy229:

watering with a timer...I used to do it at night.
but if you hand water...its really easy to accidentally get some light in and potentially hermie the plant, or stall their budding substantially

If you think about it...when you water in nutes, they don't suddenly become only water at night. That nute soaked medium is sitting there all night too. Also with DWC the nutes are all over the roots day AND night. The plant simply does not use nearly the amount of nutes at night as it would during the day when photosynthesis is occuring. But it certainly does not seem to hurt the plant in any way directly.
ftwendy: LOL... does it rain at night? Sure it does. It also snows occasionally. :)

I've always sought to time my 'good night' plain water applications so that there was apx. 50-75% of my final dose remaining in the root zone when the lights went out. Closer to 50% is what I shoot for. That way the ladies have water, are not starved for oxygen, and are ready for more wet goodies when the lights click on the next am.

It's easy to understand fresh water applications at night being a major benefit during late veg and the first few weeks of bloom (esp to increase stretch) -- however, do these dark waterings happen throughout the entire flowering period?

What is your water and feeding schedule? When, what, and how much are you applying?

Thanks! ftw

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

jalisco kid touched base on this a while ago. He claims plants are still growing which is very true but a backed down ec maybe 60% for night time feeds. He also states he never grows with one res. Eccentric killer grower with skills a plenty and little info drops if you catch them worth weight in gold.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I do believe "lights off" is when most of the horomone production is happening in the plants - that is why light leaks fuck everything up, they mess up the conversion of flower hormones. Plants will store nutrients in their roots and use the dark hours to synthesize the stored nutes into different compounds that the plant will use. That being said, the plant is still drawing water at night to facilitate the mobilization of nutrients, but I would be surprised to find out a plant is still feeding at night since no photosynthesis is happening.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Well if you read jk's posts youd find that he has about every meter youd want or hadnt heard of. Im pretty sure he knew if it was correct and if uptake exists.

Plants grow the most at night in my gardens.

ftwendy

ftwendy

I've had out of control growth in flood tables/recirc where the pump was left on during the dark period... it was a mistake when it happened, but I've always considered adding the single night of flooded roots at the beginning of my flowering just to catch the massive growth spurt it induced. The trouble is that now I'm in a setup designed around drain to waste....

Maybe I'll try an experiment in the new space this summer. I imagine thids would be especially effective in warm and/or 'dep flip' conditions (dark period is warmer than light)... but that could just be me overthinking this.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

what if you hooked drippers to the setup that were to the seperate res? so you could potentially rock ebb flo and with the added drippers for night time.

ftwendy

ftwendy

Thanks for the input fellas. I appreciate the chance to bounce ideas around.

I'm considering the addition of another res for automatic feed applications -- I'll mix manually, and then add to the 'feed' res. and let the irrigation system do the distribution.

I could also mix a very light nute mix in the fresh res. and run that until it was gone... 1/3 strength or so sounds right. Just thinking out loud.

ftwendy

ftwendy

And back to one of the original questions: are these night time waterings continuing throughout flowering, or are they sporadic and only at the beginning? Cheers.ftw

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

jk grows in mpb with top drip hooked up im sure to a couple of rez which he stated he ran a seperate res for night time feeds bc the plant doesnt uptake as much but still he thinks some food was needed.

waayne

waayne

It's been awhile since I grew in hydro
but when I was running hydro gardens I occasionally let plants get too large for their container or/cube and I would need to irrigate during their nite cycle,sometimes several times during
their nite cycle.....

I definitely had the best results using a separate reservoir which was running a nutrient solution at about 25%-35% of the strength of the reservoir they fed out of during their day cycle

This reservoir definitely used nutrients ,but not at the rate of their Day cycle reservoir
H2o consumption was less with the nite time reservoir as well

J

Jalisco Kid

jalisco kid touched base on this a while ago. He claims plants are still growing which is very true but a backed down ec maybe 60% for night time feeds. He also states he never grows with one res. Eccentric killer grower with skills a plenty and little info drops if you catch them worth weight in gold.
Eccentric killer grower, What the fuck does that mean? Are you trying to say I kill my girls in an unusual way. Just measure your tanks ppm at night before the lights out and measure their water level. Look at them in the morning. If their not eating and drinking their not at their best. JK

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Eccentric killer grower, What the fuck does that mean? Just measure your tanks ppm at night before the lights out and measure their water level. Look at them in the morning. If their not eating and drinking their not at their best. JK
no disrespect at all intended. thanks for your contributions.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

eccentric meaning deviating from a usual pattern or style, which you have done by creating your own systems.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

This is for dirt farmers.

Of course you can water anytime and if you are outside knock yourself out. Doing the same indoors is not the best thing to do for many reasons, MOLD , BUGS and smell, all of them bad. Indoors not everyone has good control over their environmental and some people just want to plant and grow and not do much else. So to those people I say don't do it.

The people who are doing it Likely have everything in place to make it work for them, if you don't it could set you back.

There is nothing wrong with top watering, unless your doing it wrong, just make sure you give them enough, I put a saucer under my dirt plants to catch the run off and what they don't suck up in 24 I remove by stepping on the side of the saucer and on the floor it goes.

This is for Hydro users

We use a different medium than them ^^^^^^^^^ so the rules are a little different. You do have water cycles at night to keep your medium wet bal bal abl, if your in water you should know what your doing as far as feeding them. But sloppy practices will cause you problems like above and also root rot.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
It seems to me that when I have my plants getting 20 seconds on and and hour off top feed they really kick ass. I have this theory that plants really like consistent waterings. It's like they come to expect it. Like how you feed a dog. When I go from hand watering to 20 sec/hour on a timer, I see a HUGE difference.

I also do 5 min on and an hour off in my ebb flows. They are also kickin ass. Doesn't matter what media. coco, rockwool, hydroton, pumice, perlite etc...

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
^^^^^^^^ agree with that, the more consistent, the better. My best runs are when I can get the wet dry cycle into a very predictable pattern across the whole garden. YM last few runs I have been experimenting with different soil mixes, so this has been kinda difficult.

outwest

ftwendy

ftwendy

Re: consistency - that's the circadian cycle, correct? The plant adapts to its environment, and begins to 'anticipate' waterings... thus, 24 hour cycles. That's what I've always told myself

C

cctt

It seems to me that when I have my plants getting 20 seconds on and and hour off top feed they really kick ass. I have this theory that plants really like consistent waterings. It's like they come to expect it. Like how you feed a dog. When I go from hand watering to 20 sec/hour on a timer, I see a HUGE difference.

I also do 5 min on and an hour off in my ebb flows. They are also kickin ass. Doesn't matter what media. coco, rockwool, hydroton, pumice, perlite etc...
How dry does the more water-holding media (eg rockwool) ever get when being watered hourly? I would tend to worry about overwatering in these types of setups, but I like the idea of frequently refreshing nutrients, hydro style.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
How dry does the more water-holding media (eg rockwool) ever get when being watered hourly? I would tend to worry about overwatering in these types of setups, but I like the idea of frequently refreshing nutrients, hydro style.

I did my rockwool cubes this way (6" cubes), and I will see if I can find the pic. It's floating around here on the forum somewhere. Basically as long as it's top feed it's all good. So in my experience it works with 50/50 chow, 50/50 peat perlite, 50/50 coco perlite, and rockwool croutons and cubes.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I also use the same exact schedule for 12 gallon containers and 1 gallon ones. DOesnt make adifferece.

Latest posts

Top Bottom