Top Feed Diy Dtw System.

• Thread starter bankcee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bankcee

bankcee

Okay, so me and a buddy doing a build out and I have a question on some video I've watched from growmau5. The questions rose because we plan to make the switch from ebb to top drip. Also at the same time switching from soil to rockwool. Well this growmau5 has a really nice vid of what seems a very basic res/pump/off setup for top feed.

here's a link to the video. and at one point he talks about doing a slight up pitch when building his pvc lines from the rest so no stagnant water builds in the pipes. and drains back into the rez. is that a good idea? red should always almost be full with a ball valve to stop in just worried about the excess feeding going back into the rest and causing problems.. it should be a very little bit but I won't know til i try it. what are your thoughts on it causing issues? am I being overly nervous?

Also he never shows he waste setup, and I've never had a waste setup and need some idea. my aim is to build something almost identical to his rez system with pvc and all and just need ideas on my waste options. do the tables need slight pitches to drain all water in tables? or...

thanks in advance y'all!

stonestacker

stonestacker

You will need a siphon break in your feed line. I put mine inside res at the top. Just a small hole in a 45* fitting.
I did put 1/8" pitch in my lines just so I could flush them good. Either end will work.
I put pitch on my tables because I want as little water on my table as possible. I like a clean ship and water sitting around to me is just asking for trouble.

Good luck on your adventure and keep us posted.

bankcee

bankcee

You will need a siphon break in your feed line. I put mine inside res at the top. Just a small hole in a 45* fitting.
I did put 1/8" pitch in my lines just so I could flush them good. Either end will work.
I put pitch on my tables because I want as little water on my table as possible. I like a clean ship and water sitting around to me is just asking for trouble.

Good luck on your adventure and keep us posted.

a 1/8th pitch? every so many feet or... my line will be running along a 10 foot wall. and also unsure as to how the siphon break works? read a little on it get the idea a little but would you be able to elaborate more on this?

stonestacker

stonestacker

I'm sorry 1/8" per foot.
So the siphon break needs to be in the res, because it will shoot a small stream of water back into the res. It does not take a very big hole so when the pump shuts off insted draining your hole res it suckes air and prevents the siphon.

bankcee

bankcee

I'm sorry 1/8" per foot.
So the siphon break needs to be in the res, because it will shoot a small stream of water back into the res. It does not take a very big hole so when the pump shuts off insted draining your hole res it suckes air and prevents the siphon.

that feed water coming back into the res from the 1/8 pitch won't be enough to mess things up would it? after refilling with ro til I mix another feed. I intend to have an air stone always running. just for precautions.

I somewhat understand what this siphon break does now.. but still a little lost lol any videos i should be watching or links? so I don't want my pump to clear my res completely. it shouldn't anyways I don't think 36 sites should be taking 100 gallons unless I'm wrong. I'm gonna get a fill for it first then by a res that's just enough water for their life cycle. that way I always have a fresh batch of nutes. not topping off.

stonestacker

stonestacker

You can always pitch it to the plants if you are that worried. but it shouldn't affect your res.
I don't know off any videos. In my case I pump my nutrients up higher than my res then it's down hill to my plants. So if I didn't have a siphon break it would literals siphon my whole res out. With a small hole it sucks air instead of my nutrients. (path of least resistance)

Enforcer

Enforcer

I just set my timer to pump enough nutes to flush out any stagnant solution in the lines, or the media. IMO, as long as you get about 20% run off you'll be fine.

I also use a 90* elbow in the res with a small hole for a siphon break. I decided I didn't want to come home to my entire res drained to waste.

Uckemfup

Uckemfup

I just set my timer to pump enough nutes to flush out any stagnant solution in the lines, or the media. IMO, as long as you get about 20% run off you'll be fine.

I also use a 90* elbow in the res with a small hole for a siphon break. I decided I didn't want to come home to my entire res drained to waste.
Can you explain how you did the 90 degree elbow thing?

Top Bottom