Total Beginner: Questions About Soil For Outdoor Grow

• Thread starter TheDudeMan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan

So, total noob here, growing for the first time in Mass (newly legal). Got so much valuable info on here, sprouted seeds with paper towel method and am now hardening them in a small greenhouse (I've grown lots of veggies and other stuff). Anyway, I spent all day digging 4 thirty gallon holes outside, and was wondering if the soil I mixed seems ok for a first grow.

I used (for each hole) around 10 gallons native soil (it's not too bad, kinda clay-ey), 10 gallons aged horse manure (been aging for three years, its literally some beautiful shit), 5 gallons peat, and 4-5 gallons perlite (I started running out). I also added a heaping cup of FF Marine Cuisine (I've heard good things), a quarter cup of water retaining crystals, and a quarter cup of pelletized lime (to balance out low ph of peat and for a buffer). I top-dressed with a few hand fulls of marine cuisine and a bit more pelletized lime.

Anyway, gonna let this set for about a month and put in the plants around the first of June, since we sometimes have frosts up until the last week of May. I'm gonna be digging a few more holes over the weekend, planning on growing White Widow, Afghan Kush, and Heavyweight Monster Profit (all feminized seeds).

Was wondering if ya'll think I should I should add more amendments? I'm gonna be adding bat guano when they hit pre-flower. Also, do you think this soil is too heavy? I could pick up some more perlite and mix it into the soil already in the holes.

Last edited:
TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan

Oh, I'm also growing a strain I got from a local dude. He's been growing in this area for about thirty years, and its a crazy potent and hardy strain. He's combined several different strains over the decades and every year he picks out the biggest females to produce seed. Good stuff, wish I knew what the hell it actually is. Smoke is super smooth and the high almost feels like White Widow and Jack Herer combined. A few tokes knocks you on your ass.

GrowingGreen

GrowingGreen

How you doin brother
I would add some rice hulls, & some cropcover, let it grow til you transplant into them, then give the cropcover a trim leave clippings in pot then add a 6” layer of hay
@Ecompost, @GT21, @oldskol4evr, @Srenots ,

TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan

How you doin brother
I would add some rice hulls, & some cropcover, let it grow til you transplant into them, then give the cropcover a trim leave clippings in pot then add a 6” layer of hay
@Ecompost, @GT21, @oldskol4evr, @Srenots ,

Awesome, thanks! Haven't heard of using rice hulls actually, I'm assuming it aerates the soil like perlite? There's actually a local brown rice grower literally 5 minutes from my place. I'll stop in, he might have some he could spare. So you would put the hay on after transplanting into the soil? Or could I just do that now, and skip the cover crop?

Also, another noob question if you don't mind; the area I'm planting in is pretty wooded, but the plots I dug in are right beside the veggie garden (gets a ton of sun) and mostly populated with brambles. Hell of a job digging through all the bramble roots, and I was wondering if those roots will grow back and choke out the mj roots? Really don't wanna use any kind of herbicide that close to my babies.

GrowingGreen

GrowingGreen

Awesome, thanks! Haven't heard of using rice hulls actually, I'm assuming it aerates the soil like perlite? There's actually a local brown rice grower literally 5 minutes from my place. I'll stop in, he might have some he could spare. So you would put the hay on after transplanting into the soil? Or could I just do that now, and skip the cover crop?

Also, another noob question if you don't mind; the area I'm planting in is pretty wooded, but the plots I dug in are right beside the veggie garden (gets a ton of sun) and mostly populated with brambles. Hell of a job digging through all the bramble roots, and I was wondering if those roots will grow back and choke out the mj roots? Really don't wanna use any kind of herbicide that close to my babies.
You dont have to put cropcover, the reasoning for hay is to help keep your soil moist & promote humus layer! Yes I believe those roots would eventually takeover the mj roots, just my opinion though! Also if you can, grab some of the heavy duty plastic to put in the holes to keep bramble roots from takin over

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
So, total noob here, growing for the first time in Mass (newly legal). Got so much valuable info on here, sprouted seeds with paper towel method and am now hardening them in a small greenhouse (I've grown lots of veggies and other stuff). Anyway, I spent all day digging 4 thirty gallon holes outside, and was wondering if the soil I mixed seems ok for a first grow.

I used (for each hole) around 10 gallons native soil (it's not too bad, kinda clay-ey), 10 gallons aged horse manure (been aging for three years, its literally some beautiful shit), 5 gallons peat, and 4-5 gallons perlite (I started running out). I also added a heaping cup of FF Marine Cuisine (I've heard good things), a quarter cup of water retaining crystals, and a quarter cup of pelletized lime (to balance out low ph of peat and for a buffer). I top-dressed with a few hand fulls of marine cuisine and a bit more pelletized lime.

Anyway, gonna let this set for about a month and put in the plants around the first of June, since we sometimes have frosts up until the last week of May. I'm gonna be digging a few more holes over the weekend, planning on growing White Widow, Afghan Kush, and Heavyweight Monster Profit (all feminized seeds).

Was wondering if ya'll think I should I should add more amendments? I'm gonna be adding bat guano when they hit pre-flower. Also, do you think this soil is too heavy? I could pick up some more perlite and mix it into the soil already in the holes.
Are you really trying to amend it for water all the way through?

TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan

Are you really trying to amend it for water all the way through?

Not exactly water all the way through, but minimal maintenance. Don't exactly have room for an outdoor grow where I'm at, so my friend (who has a large property) is letting me grow on his land. I'll be able to come check it every other week or so, as it's a bit of a drive to his land. That's also why I added the moisture crystals, less chance of the soil getting too dry. He'll check it too, but I basically need to do all the work on it. Pretty good setup though, I think, I'll give him a lot of it if I have a good yield.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Not exactly water all the way through, but minimal maintenance. Don't exactly have room for an outdoor grow where I'm at, so my friend (who has a large property) is letting me grow on his land. I'll be able to come check it every other week or so, as it's a bit of a drive to his land. That's also why I added the moisture crystals, less chance of the soil getting too dry. He'll check it too, but I basically need to do all the work on it. Pretty good setup though, I think, I'll give him a lot of it if I have a good yield.
Can you run a dripper and timer? I put 50 bucks into 3 plants last year...they were ok size.

TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan

Can you run a dripper and timer? I put 50 bucks into 3 plants last year...they were ok size.

Honestly, I was thinking about drilling a few tiny holes along the bottom edges of a few 50 gal drums and placing them between my plants and filling with water and tea ingredients as needed so they drip really slowly. I've done that for veggies and it worked really well. Think that would work, or is it dumb for mj?
Also, what do you think GT21 and GrowingGreen, my holes are on the top of a south facing slope that's pretty covered in brambles (the top itself is pretty clear). There were a ton of bramble roots in the holes. Think I should just spray the slope with an organic herbicide? I found one that's vinegar and citrus concentrate based. Think it would hurt the babies?

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Honestly, I was thinking about drilling a few tiny holes along the bottom edges of a few 50 gal drums and placing them between my plants and filling with water and tea ingredients as needed so they drip really slowly. I've done that for veggies and it worked really well. Think that would work, or is it dumb for mj?
Also, what do you think GT21, my holes are on the top of a south facing slope that's pretty covered in brambles (the top itself is pretty clear). There were a ton of bramble roots in the holes. Think I should just spray the slope with an organic herbicide? I found one that's vinegar and citrus concentrate based. Think it would hurt the babies?
If you can get in and prep the place then great..spray for bugs and turn up your hole to add shit.. The drum will work maybe an on off valve. In the beginning out here before the plant gets going you have to watch the waters closer(the sun hits the ground). When the canopy fills it shades the dirt and it stays cooler down there. As far as location.. I bet itll grow a plant.

Where my od was last year was shit sandy dirt and water ph as high as 10 off the well. Still worked.

TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan

If you can get in and prep the place then great..spray for bugs and turn up your hole to add shit.. The drum will work maybe an on off valve. In the beginning out here before the plant gets going you have to watch the waters closer(the sun hits the ground). When the canopy fills it shades the dirt and it stays cooler down there. As far as location.. I bet itll grow a plant.

Where my od was last year was shit sandy dirt and water ph as high as 10 off the well. Still worked.
Thanks a ton GT21. That's sort of what I'm doing, a first year grow to try to get the hang of it, and then I'll modify as needed next year. Still be nice to get a decent yield though. Wow, that's pretty incredible, way high ph and it still produced.
I guess like the guy who gave me the local seeds said, "it's a weed. It grows like one."

Anyway, I'll update with pics and so on later in the season. Oh, this is kind of random, forgot to mention, I got a few free autos and just threw them in 5 gal buckets with compost, perlite, and aged horse shit. I put them out on the
porch all day and under a few cfls and a seed starter led at night. This baby is a little over three weeks old and growing like mad. Kinda encouraging.

Upload 2018 4 26 21 12 6

TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan

Also, if anyone is interested, here's my makeshift as all hell sprouting setup. I pop them in paper towels (there are a few seeds in the plates on the seedling mat). Then, I put them in Cowpots with some peat, perlite, and compost. I really love cowpots, they're made from pressed organic cow shit and they break down way better for me than peat pots (at least they have with other plants). And, they fertilize as they break down and seem to air prune the roots, so I don't get root bound problems.

I used an old lamp that was in the garage, duct taped it sideways inside a folded box, and set it on top of two other boxes. Then, I just screwed in a cfl, put a gallon baggie over the tops of the Cowpots and made a shade out of foil. It looks stupid, but I've had pretty close to a hundred percent germ rate with this setup and there's no need to transplant, just pop the Cowpots in the soil.

30859448_1928193823858743_1158797946_n.jpg

30964153_1928193743858751_907379617_n.jpg

30777029_1928193647192094_1916827032_n.jpg

Ecompost

Ecompost

I hope someone is there in between to check on the plants, a lot can happen in a day let alone 10-14 of um.
moisture crystals arent worth your money brother, save it and buy some humic acid instead. The clays wil hold lots of water. The best thing is to do a basic soil type test to see what you have before you amend it. i am not sure how people amend outside of guesswork otherwise.
lots of youtube vids on how to do basic soil tests buddy, i would get in to it, its beneficial for all kinds of planting.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Also, if anyone is interested, here's my makeshift as all hell sprouting setup. I pop them in paper towels (there are a few seeds in the plates on the seedling mat). Then, I put them in Cowpots with some peat, perlite, and compost. I really love cowpots, they're made from pressed organic cow shit and they break down way better for me than peat pots (at least they have with other plants). And, they fertilize as they break down and seem to air prune the roots, so I don't get root bound problems.

I used an old lamp that was in the garage, duct taped it sideways inside a folded box, and set it on top of two other boxes. Then, I just screwed in a cfl, put a gallon baggie over the tops of the Cowpots and made a shade out of foil. It looks stupid, but I've had pretty close to a hundred percent germ rate with this setup and there's no need to transplant, just pop the Cowpots in the soil.

30859448_1928193823858743_1158797946_n.jpg

30964153_1928193743858751_907379617_n.jpg

30777029_1928193647192094_1916827032_n.jpg
Thats a hell of a science project.... If it cracks beans then youre on it!!!

Ecompost

Ecompost

Also, what do you think GT21 and GrowingGreen, my holes are on the top of a south facing slope that's pretty covered in brambles (the top itself is pretty clear). There were a ton of bramble roots in the holes. Think I should just spray the slope with an organic herbicide? I found one that's vinegar and citrus concentrate based. Think it would hurt the babies?
over here people bury non glazed ceramic pots, one per three plants in a triangle,

bramble control https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?PID=256

Ecompost

Ecompost

stale seed bed practice might help you

Ecompost

Ecompost

also if its cold, use black plastic sheet to mulch rather than hay as this will warm you soil faster and limit slugs, snails and so on. if you have any of these around young MJ you are dead before you start, same as any other crops you might have experience growing

TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan

I hope someone is there in between to check on the plants, a lot can happen in a day let alone 10-14 of um.
moisture crystals arent worth your money brother, save it and buy some humic acid instead. The clays wil hold lots of water. The best thing is to do a basic soil type test to see what you have before you amend it. i am not sure how people amend outside of guesswork otherwise.
lots of youtube vids on how to do basic soil tests buddy, i would get in to it, its beneficial for all kinds of planting.

Thanks for the tips Ecompost, and yeah, the guy who owns the land will probably be checking on them about every other day. He's a pretty experienced grower of other things, but I'm still trying to set it up so that he doesn't have to do much. Honestly, I was practically raised on my uncle's farm (had to work my ass off) and have been growing veggies for a while. I'm just kinda nervous that this won't translate into doing well with mj, so I'm so grateful for all the advice.

TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan

also if its cold, use black plastic sheet to mulch rather than hay as this will warm you soil faster and limit slugs, snails and so on. if you have any of these around young MJ you are dead before you start, same as any other crops you might have experience growing

Yeah, I've already got the hay (guess you could consider it pre-horse shit) so I'm gonna give that a shot. The one advantage of growing in this area is that there's not much of a slug or snail problem. Damn short growing season though (hence the indicas). Also, how long are slugs and snails and larger insects, such as deer, a problem? (bit stoned at the moment). Most of my plants are gonna be around 8 weeks old when I put them out. Does the thc function as a predator repellent, like the nicotine in tobacco?

I'm also gonna try growing a few of the freebies right in the pile of aged horse shit. I basically have a ton of very cheap plants, so I'm gonna experiment like mad (always a fan of the scientific method). For some other holes I'm digging, I'm gonna do 1/4 native soil, 1/2 horse shit, 1/4 peat, 1/4 perlite. But for these, I'm gonna use Dr. Earth Pure Gold. Works well for tomatoes, so we'll see. Oh and I'm going to add worm castings to the tops of all holes before covering with hay.

Ecompost

Ecompost

Thanks for the tips Ecompost, and yeah, the guy who owns the land will probably be checking on them about every other day. He's a pretty experienced grower of other things, but I'm still trying to set it up so that he doesn't have to do much. Honestly, I was practically raised on my uncle's farm (had to work my ass off) and have been growing veggies for a while. I'm just kinda nervous that this won't translate into doing well with mj, so I'm so grateful for all the advice.
you will be fine bro. Just know you can and do grow, its the same, bit like growing annuals, bit like growing flowers. If you grow roses you will prune well, if you grow tomatoes you wont over water when plants are young,. IMO flavor is lost right at the start with over wet seedlings. This is true of tomatoes I know for sure so i grow my own MJ as I do tomatoes, but i prune as if i am growing flowers eg roses. I prune any crossing branches as i would citrus trees and so on to maintain airflow, I dont remove leaves as a rule, but I have been known to tuck them or interlock them to expose lower bud sites.
Growing with Mycorrhizal fungi will give you some buffers against weather and stressors. We tested our own Mycos at 1% media moisture, we got 6 days at 1% moisture past the time where non treated plants had died. we tested flowering MJ too and harvested 30% in tact buds at 10 days 1%, all non teated plants died every time. Humic acid is a long chain electron donor, it can swap its own ions to attract water, where it binds and holds it in the system. Both HA and Mycos offers over 40% more water holding capacity than soil devoid in either or or both

Latest posts

Top Bottom