Update On New Grow Room. Air Exchange/co2 Help.

• Thread starter Diesel21
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Diesel21

Diesel21

Update on new grow room air exchangeco2 help 2
Update on new grow room air exchangeco2 help
So this is what I have so far in my basement. The walls and floors are completely sealed. The ceiling is subfloor and hardwood on top of that. That being said the room is not 100 percent sealed. I’m sure air is passing through the ceiling somehow. I would like some help with an exhaust setup please. The air outside the room is damp basement air. I also have an old cellar window that Is boarded up that I could use for outside air if need be. Right now the room is 73 degrees and the outside temp is 88. Also I am in the northeast so I could use outside air in the winter to cool the room if it gets too hot. I could also pull air from inside my house through the ceiling. Also looking for the best co2 setup for the room/tent. Would a burner be a waste because the whole room won’t be full of plants? Sorry for the long post. Any help with exhaust/ co2 setup would be greatly appreciated.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Id watch drying in the basement.

Can be humid, and low airflow. May mold. You can do it, but think it out thoroughly.

Id ditch the flowering tent, and get a tent for Veg, or enclose in a small area, so light cant get out. You could even use black plastic, or 4 x 8 sheets of foam to make a wall, or a small maze to diffuse light ect, and put black screen hanging at the entrance, and another 3 feet behind that and have the veg light further back into the area, and the screen will allow for good airflow.

Id use the window, and pull air down from the ceiling. Get all the air possible. Use 3-4 really good high velocity fans to keep the air moving. You wont need CO2, if you can get decent airflow.

If your tent isn't 100% Sealed, the CO2 will be wasted.

Last edited:
Diesel21

Diesel21

Can be humid, and low airflow. May mold. You can do it, but think it out thoroughly.

Id ditch the flowering tent, and get a tent for Veg, or enclose in a small area, so light cant get out. You could even use black plastic, or 4 x 8 sheets of foam to make a wall, or a small maze to diffuse light ect, and put black screen hanging at the entrance, and another 3 feet behind that and have the veg light further back into the area, and the screen will allow for good airflow.

Id use the window, and pull air down from the ceiling. Get all the air possible. Use 3-4 âreally good high velocity fans to keep the air moving. You wont need CO2, if you can get decent airflow.

So basically put an exhaust fan in the window to pull the upstairs air into the grow room and exhaust outside? So I will be venting the whole area not just the tent itself right? Are you are saying to just flower in the existing room with no tent then?
F9C58B1F 4882 4D38 B501 864B5FB97533

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

View attachment 819926 View attachment 819924 So this is what I have so far in my basement. The walls and floors are completely sealed. The ceiling is subfloor and hardwood on top of that. That being said the room is not 100 percent sealed. I’m sure air is passing through the ceiling somehow. I would like some help with an exhaust setup please. The air outside the room is damp basement air. I also have an old cellar window that Is boarded up that I could use for outside air if need be. Right now the room is 73 degrees and the outside temp is 88. Also I am in the northeast so I could use outside air in the winter to cool the room if it gets too hot. I could also pull air from inside my house through the ceiling. Also looking for the best co2 setup for the room/tent. Would a burner be a waste because the whole room won’t be full of plants? Sorry for the long post. Any help with exhaust/ co2 setup would be greatly appreciated.
might think about insulation in floor and then put the 4x8 stryfoam board mentioned on the floor truss,i cant help but think smell or the co2 you plan to use will go threw floor,you dont want that,with that big area i wouldnt even use co2,increase the humidfirer and dehumidifeir,outside air any chance i could get

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

So basically put an exhaust fan in the window to pull the upstairs air into the grow room and exhaust outside? So I will be venting the whole area not just the tent itself right? Are you are saying to just flower in the existing room with no tent then?View attachment 819938

Yep.You may not need a fan in the window. Just leave cracked/open as much as possible/needed, and if it gets to cold, it will have to be closed, cracked smaller, but if you have fresh air coming from upstairs, it wont matter.

It really doesn't take 1 whole heck of a lot of fresh air. Just as long as theres freshair, and it doesn't get to hot.

Diesel21

Diesel21

Yep.You may not need a fan in the window. Just leave cracked/open as much as possible/needed, and if it gets to cold, it will have to be closed, cracked smaller, but if you have fresh air coming from upstairs, it wont matter.

It really doesn't take 1 whole heck of a lot of fresh air. Just as long as theres freshair, and it doesn't get to hot.

Ok. I would imagine the air would never get above 75 upstairs because there is ac up there. As for the window it is boarded up and spray foamed over. All I would need to do is cut a hole in it for duct work. I have an 8” back draft damper that I can use.

Diesel21

Diesel21

Ok. I would imagine the air would never get above 75 upstairs because there is ac up there. As for the window it is boarded up and spray foamed over. All I would need to do is cut a hole in it for duct work. I have an 8” back draft damper that I can use.
I have an 8” in-line fan and charcoal filter so there won’t be any smell down there also

Diesel21

Diesel21

Id use the window, and pull air down from the ceiling. Get all the air possible. Use 3-4 really good high velocity fans to keep the air moving. You wont need CO2, if you can get decent airflow.

I would be drying in the same temp/humidity controlled room. I think that would be ok correct?

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Optimally the drying room should probably have less humidity vs growing area.

Many people prefer to dry at 60 degrees, 45%-55%% humidity for at least 2 weeks, with fans ect. But I understand thats impractical for most. Me included.

Not saying you cant do it, just be aware of your humidity, airflow. Id hate to see you get a nice crop through, only to mold.

What size area, and what lights???? Weed Strain???? Looking?? Sativa? Indica? Hybrid??

Diesel21

Diesel21

Many people prefer to dry at 60 degrees, 45%-55%% humidity for at least 2 weeks, with fans ect. But I understand thats impractical for most. Me included.

Not saying you cant do it, just be aware of your humidity, airflow. Id hate to see you get a nice crop through, only to mold.

What size area, and what lights???? Weed Strain???? Looking?? Sativa? Indica? Hybrid??
One more question. What

I’m running 2 600watt quantum boards. I have some Jack Herer green crack incredible bulk and sour diesel at the moment.

Diesel21

Diesel21

One more question. What about the smell transferring upstairs when the fan is not running after the room gets to temp? Will I have to get another fan to pull air outside and use the 8” charcoal filter as an air scrubber in the grow room?

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Id have fans running 24 hours a day regardless, and this includes flowering. I keep wind on my plants even with lights out. They get wind outside 24 hours a day, and it makes for stronger stalks, and branches. like to see a bit of movement on all my plants. Don't beat them to death.

Still consider if you have a strain that really reeks?? Ive seen them defeat concrete walls, and scrubbers both.

Diesel21

Diesel21

Id have fans running 24 hours a day regardless, and this includes flowering. I keep wind on my plants even with lights out. They get wind outside 24 hours a day, and it makes for stronger stalks, and branches. like to see a bit of movement on all my plants. Don't beat them to death.

Still consider if you have a strain that really reeks?? Ive seen them defeat concrete walls, and scrubbers both.

I’m thinking About putting board foam on the ceiling between the joists and foaming everything in except for my intake hole. Would a 12” round hole be enough? I have about a 14x20 opening I can use. Or should I just put a filter over that opening? I was thinking about using a filter box with a 12” round duct on it from Home Depot. This way if I decide to have a sealed room in the future I only have to plug up 2 holes and install ac.

Diesel21

Diesel21

Ok so I got some board foam and will be installing on the ceiling and foaming the cracks. Then I’m gonna plastic over that. Making the room completely sealed except for the intake opening. How should I control the exhaust fan? Should I just have a charcoal scrubber running 24/7 in the room and then a separate fan controlled by a thermostat to pull the air outside when the temps get high? I need smell control and I was just worried about the room getting to cold if I’m pulling air outside 24/7. The indoor air is only 68-72 degrees

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Id think if it stinks, you will have to run the charcoal scrubber running all the time. The plants wont stop stinking ect.

You will also have to think about how to heat the air, if its to cold with lights off. As they sill need air.
Any way to pull warm air from upstairs.
Maybe if you have some kind of adjustable louvers in front of the fan to further control air inflow.

What type lights will you use? If you use 1000w HID this will help keep the room warm, when its cold out.
With a 4 x 8 I would use 2 x 1000w Hortilux HPS/Sodium/Blue Enhanced. I would also run flowering lights at night, when its coldest outside, and use the HID for heat.

When lights are off, you can all but shut off the louvers, just leave them barely open if tis really cold, and if its warm enough. Open them for full airflow.
If it gets to cold, completely shut them.

Diesel21

Diesel21

Id think if it stinks, you will have to run the charcoal scrubber running all the time. The plants wont stop stinking ect.

You will also have to think about how to heat the air, if its to cold with lights off. As they sill need air.
Any way to pull warm air from upstairs.
Maybe if you have some kind of adjustable louvers in front of the fan to further control air inflow.

What type lights will you use? If you use 1000w HID this will help keep the room warm, when its cold out.
With a 4 x 8 I would use 2 x 1000w Hortilux HPS/Sodium/Blue Enhanced. I would also run flowering lights at night, when its coldest outside, and use the HID for heat.

When lights are off, you can all but shut off the louvers, just leave them barely open if tis really cold, and if its warm enough. Open them for full airflow.
If it gets to cold, completely shut them.

It stays around 72-75 in there all the time with no airflow. I am running 2 hlg 600qbs. So they don’t put out too much heat. There are some heat pipes that run through the room so that might help a little. I think the room will be fine as long as I controll the exhaust fan. The room that I am pulling indoor air from has heat/ac so I should be all set year round. I think I’m gonna run an 8” scrubber 24/7 and a 10” fan with filter to pull air outside that’s controlled by a thermostat. That way if I every want seal the room and put ac/co2 in there I only have to plug up one hole and I’ll use the 10” fan as the scrubber. Does this sound like a good plan? I’m anxious to finish this room!

Top Bottom