Urine is a great fertilizer

• Thread starter Onespark
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

tedsprogz

I read somewhere where urea nitrogen left a lasting urine(cat piss?) smell and taste even after flush...true?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
These lil beanlings were on the verge of death, dry as a bone and instead of let them go to the wayside I dropped trow...lmao

IMG 2387

fwiw, I drink a couple gallons of water a day

T

tedsprogz

something tells me it was in RC Clark's Cannabis Botany.

K

kolah

I don't see how that could happen, Tedsprog...as almost everyone flushes their weed nowadays. I use urine solutions on my veggie gardens and had never tasted or smelled cat piss on my produce. And I don't even flush my veggies.

I think the main problem with mis-info and dis-info regarding urine use on plants is that "they" often leave out the diluting of urine which is critical. And not to mention all the brainwashing we have been subjected to that pee is icky and toxic. But without a dilution, urine is just too damn hot and concentrated. Think of pouring out your trusted commercial liquid fertilizer straight out of the bottle and onto a plant. You'd never do it, right?

I am a frugal old fart and anything that cuts down my costs to grow good clean healthy plants weed is a welcomed addition.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I don't see how that could happen, Tedsprog...as almost everyone flushes their weed nowadays. I use urine solutions on my veggie gardens and had never tasted or smelled cat piss on my produce. And I don't even flush my veggies.

I think the main problem with mis-info and dis-info regarding urine use on plants is that "they" often leave out the diluting of urine which is critical. And not to mention all the brainwashing we have been subjected to that pee is icky and toxic. But without a dilution, urine is just too damn hot and concentrated. Think of pouring out your trusted commercial liquid fertilizer straight out of the bottle and onto a plant. You'd never do it, right?

I am a frugal old fart and anything that cuts down my costs to grow good clean healthy plants weed is a welcomed addition.
Def dilute it, for sure. I was just showing that even with undiluted how a plant can benefit and get nutrition from it...lol

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Whoa, I just noticed how much water you drink daily. Good LORD! Bet you can feed a BIG garden, cantcha?

Sir Puffs Alott

Sir Puffs Alott

:oops: :eek: I have been a urine-user for years, o_O What wanna fight about it? ;)
oh and bat, seabird, worm and steer pooh also.:confused::D
If I could, I would collect urine from around the world, to find the best of course.:rolleyes:
Foliar feeding is a wonderful use of urine, in a diluted mix, with other micro-nutes, even in full sun.:cool:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
SPA, I was foliar feeding just the other day when I had to pee. I thought about it, but then thought that perhaps the NH4 molecules might be too large to pass through the stomata.

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

Here is the outdoor hydro plant. It will be done mid oct. I moved it from a 5 gal bucket into the 20 gal tote about a week ago. 5g/ gal grow + bloom, .5g epsom/gal, ph 6.0. I have been using Cap's roots putting about 5g in a container of stilled water and shaking it up then dumping it into the tank. I'm pretty sure this girl can live on urine. I have copies ready to go but my ec meter was victimized by my memory and must be replaced or found before the game can commence.

8 17 12 002
8 17 12 003
8 17 12 001
Sir Puffs Alott

Sir Puffs Alott

SPA, I was foliar feeding just the other day when I had to pee. I thought about it, but then thought that perhaps the NH4 molecules might be too large to pass through the stomata.
Part 1
:eek:
No need to worry, spray away.
Some stuff I found on the old Intranet.

From Wikipedia :confused:
Agriculture

Main article: Fertilizer
Urine contains large quantities of nitrogen (mostly as urea), as well as significant quantities of dissolved phosphates and potassium, the main macronutrients required by plants, with urine having plant macronutrient percentages (i.e. NPK) of approximately 11-1-2 by one study[18] or 15-1-2 by another report,[19] illustrating that exact composition varies with diet. Undiluted, it can chemically burn the roots of some plants, but it can be used safely as a source of complementary nitrogen in carbon-rich compost.[20]
When diluted with water (at a 1:5 ratio for container-grown annual crops with fresh growing medium each season,[21] or a 1:8 ratio for more general use[20]), it can be applied directly to soil as a fertilizer. The fertilization effect of urine has been found to be comparable to that of commercial fertilizers with an equivalent NPK rating.[22] Urine contains most (94% according to Wolgast[18]) of the NPK nutrients excreted by the human body. Conversely, concentrations of heavy metals such as lead, mercury, and cadmium, commonly found in solid human waste, are much lower in urine (though not low enough to qualify for use in organic agriculture under current EU rules).[23] The more general limitations to using urine as fertilizer then depend mainly on the potential for buildup of excess nitrogen (due to the high ratio of that macronutrient),[21] and inorganic salts such as sodium chloride, which are also part of the wastes excreted by the renal system. The degree to which these factors impact the effectiveness depends on the term of use, salinity tolerance of the plant, soil composition, addition of other fertilizing compounds, and quantity of rainfall or other irrigation.
Urine typically contains 70% of the nitrogen and more than half the phosphorus and potassium found in urban waste water flows, while making up less than 1% of the overall volume. Thus far, source separation, or urine diversion and on-site treatment has been implemented in South Africa, China, and Sweden among other countries with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation provided some of the funding implemenations.[24] China reportedly had 685,000 operating source separation toilets spread out among 17 provinces in 2003.[25]
"Urine management" is a relatively new way to view closing the cycle of agricultural nutrient flows and reducing sewage treatment costs and ecological consequences such as eutrophication resulting from the influx of nutrient rich effluent into aquatic or marine ecosystems.[19] Proponents of urine as a natural source of agricultural fertilizer claim the risks to be negligible or acceptable. Their views seem to be backed by research showing there are more environmental problems when it is treated and disposed of compared with when it is used as a resource.[26]
It is unclear whether source separation, urine diversion, and on-site urine treatment can be made cost effective; nor whether required behavioral changes would be regarded as socially acceptable, as the largely successful trials performed in Sweden may not readily generalize to other industrialized societies.[22] In developing countries the use of whole raw sewage (night soil) has been common throughout history, yet the application of pure urine to crops is rare. Increasingly there are calls for urine's use as a fertilizer, such as a Scientific American article "Human urine is an effective fertilizer".[27]

Sir Puffs Alott

Sir Puffs Alott

Part 2
Urea structure:;)
150px-Urea.png

120px-Urea-3D-balls.png

Other names[hide]​
Carbamide, carbonyl diamide, carbonyldiamine, diaminomethanal, diaminomethanone​
Identifiers​
CAS number 57-13-6
7px-Yes_check.svg.png

PubChem 1176
ChemSpider 1143
7px-Yes_check.svg.png

UNII 8W8T17847W
7px-Yes_check.svg.png

DrugBank DB03904
KEGG D00023
7px-Yes_check.svg.png

ChEBI CHEBI:16199
7px-Yes_check.svg.png

ChEMBL CHEMBL985
7px-Yes_check.svg.png

RTECS number YR6250000
ATC code B05BC02,D02AE01
Jmol-3D images Image 1
SMILES
[show]
InChI
[show]
Properties​
Molecular formula CH4N2O
Molar mass 60.06 g mol−1
Appearance White solid
Density 1.32 g/cm3
Melting point
133–135 °C
Solubility in water 107.9 g/100 ml (20 °C)
167 g/100ml (40 °C)
251 g/100 ml (60 °C)
400 g/100 ml (80 °C)
Solubility 50g/L ethanol, 500g/L glycerol [1]
Basicity (pKb) pKBH+ = 0.18[2]
Structure​
Dipole moment 4.56 D
Hazards​
MSDS JT Baker
EU Index Not listed
Flash point Non-flammable
LD50 8500 mg/kg (oral, rat)
Related compounds​
Related ureas Thiourea
Hydroxycarbamide
Related compounds Carbamide peroxide
Urea phosphate
Except where noted otherwise, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C, 100 kPa)
Leaf

ligustrum-leaf-lab.jpg

Cross section of a typical dicot leaf. Note upper and lower epidermis, palisade and spongy mesophyll, veins, stomata.
Micrograph by John Tiftickjian
:D

Stomata

Stucture of guard cells

stoma-dic-lab.jpg

Stoma seen in epidermal peel (DIC)

Stomata open when guard cells take up water and expand

stoma-mechanism.jpg

Trichomes

Trichomes are appendages of the epidermis.

Most are hair-like are are commonly called plant hairs.

There is a large diversity of forms - examples:

trichomes.png

Types of epidermal trichomes.
Can be unicellular or multicellular

Can be simple or branched

May have secretory function (glandular hairs)

Epidermal "peel" with trichomes

pelargonium-epidermis-lab.jpg

Pelargonium (geranium) leaf epidermis, w.m. showing stomata and two kinds of trichomes.

Sir Puffs Alott

Sir Puffs Alott

Here is the outdoor hydro plant. It will be done mid oct. I moved it from a 5 gal bucket into the 20 gal tote about a week ago. 5g/ gal grow + bloom, .5g epsom/gal, ph 6.0. I have been using Cap's roots putting about 5g in a container of stilled water and shaking it up then dumping it into the tank. I'm pretty sure this girl can live on urine. I have copies ready to go but my ec meter was victimized by my memory and must be replaced or found before the game can commence.
:confused:

I wish mine were that big.;)
Great job, kant wait to see the buds.o_O

ttystikk

ttystikk

Back to the bunny turds for a moment- those rabbits ate eating alfalfa pellets, and the composted rabbit droppings 'did wonders for plant growth.' Well, OF COURSE it did; alfalfa is loaded with triacontanol, a well known and completely safe organic PGR, or plant growth regulator. This PGR speeds up plant growth, and alfalfa uses it to grow faster than is neighbors, allowing it to outcompete them.

The larger point I'm making is that much of what we eat and drink does indeed have plant active materials in them, and that many are beneficial.

The idea that we should not be recycling human waste into and through our food supply is a silly notion brought on by 'civilized' notions that it is all somehow dirty. It is- and if we keep doing as we are currently doing with it, we will poison ourselves. We need to put it where it belongs- into our plants!

Top Bottom