water/feed/water v feed/feed

• Thread starter theTinker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

theTinker

Hey experienced farmers.

I recentily heard about a technique of watering I was unaware of.

Watering with water / watering with 100% nutes / watering with water.

My usual way is to water with nutes each watering.

Has anyone tried both methods and seen a difference?

In my mind, the first way of doing it would be far more likely to cause nute burn and require extremely frequent flushes.

I might be missing something here, but adding 100% nutes has twice the chance of nute burning the plant at each second watering. The time line i made out below, unless its mistaken shows at the same rates, this happens.
While 50% each watering would half this risk?

On a time line comparison in my head.
if a plant burns at lets say anything over 140% nutes. with each watering time meaning the plant eats up 40% of the nutes given.
contains 0% - 100% watering - high of 100% - plant uses 40% = 60%
contains 60% - 0 % watering - high of 60 % - plant uses 40% = 20%.
contains 20% - 100% watering - high of 120% - plant uses 40% = 80%
contains 80% - 0 % watering - high of 80% - plant uses 40% = 40%
contains 40% - 100% watering - high of 140% BURN)-plant uses 40%=100%

contains 0% - 50% watering - high of 50% - plant uses 40% = 10%
contains 10% - 50 % watering - high of 60 % - plant uses 40% = 20%.
contains 20% - 50% watering - high of 70% - plant uses 40% =30%
contains 30% - 50% watering - high of 80% - plant uses 40% = 40%
contains 40% - 50% watering - high of 90 - plant uses 40%=50%
contains 50% - 50% watering - high of 100 - plant uses 40%=60%
contains 60% - 50% watering - high of 110 - plant uses 40%=70%
contains 70% - 50% watering - high of 120 - plant uses 40%=80%
contains 80% - 50% watering - high of 130 - plant uses 40%=90%
contains 90% - 50% watering - high of 140(BURN) - plant uses 40%=100%

Twice as long before same toxic levels are reached.

There would be other benefits too infact, the plant has twice as long to grow accustomed to the levels and may not even burn at the same level. Might develop higher tolerance.

Would anyone care to share thier opinions?

thanks

tT

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

I don't think 100% nutes is what they had in mind. Unless that is specifically what you read. Usually you would feed the plant with the nutrient solution (however many ml of each nutrient per gal. of water or however you regularly mix up your nutrients) and then water with plain water and then feed with the nutrient solution again.

OGONLY

OGONLY

With my coco grows I feed 90% of the time. Many people say you must go plain water every third watering in coco but I found otherwise. I do flush with straight RO about 5 times from week 1 of flowering to week 6. Otherwise its nuted water at different dilutions.

I will start my res at say 900-1000 ppm. Water with that for a few days then dilute with RO to 700 ppm. Couple days later water down to 500 ppm. Works great for me...

T

theTinker

I don't think 100% nutes is what they had in mind. Unless that is specifically what you read. Usually you would feed the plant with the nutrient solution (however many ml of each nutrient per gal. of water or however you regularly mix up your nutrients) and then water with plain water and then feed with the nutrient solution again.

So do you mean. Water with nutes until run off. Then when it dries out a bit. Water with plain water flushing it somewhat, then immediately water with nutes until run off again?

I could understand this way yes, If the watering is used for flushing, its a feasible solution. Without flushing it though, it just seems crazy.

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

This is just what I did when I used roots organic soil less coco mix. I would mix up a batch of nutes, and water till run off. Then I would wait till the plants dried up a little bit and the next watering I just used plain pH'd water. And then the next watering is nutes again.

T

theTinker

This is just what I did when I used roots organic soil less coco mix. I would mix up a batch of nutes, and water till run off. Then I would wait till the plants dried up a little bit and the next watering I just used plain pH'd water. And then the next watering is nutes again.

ah then you are doing what i mean to describe in my first post.

Have you found this advantageous to watering with nutes each feed?
If you take the ml quantity of nutes you use during ur nute feed, and give 50% of that each feed instead. Would this not give a more stable regular medium and food supply to the plant? and reduce burn potential?

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

I think so because in my opinion, there's less of a chance of salt build up, because the plain water is basically like a flush

P

purplover83

when in soil i have always done a feed feed water feeding just to eliminate the chance of salt build up

S

southern

I've tinkered around with feed feed flush and feed flush feed. I'm currently doing feed feed flush, but at 100%/50%/Flush. This is working pretty well so far. I calculate by ppm though. so If I'm on week 4 of veg I feed 1000ppm then 500ppm then flush.

F

FarmerChuckles

It's alot to do with how much you feed.
If you keep ppms low like in the 800-1000 and have alot of runoff.
You might be able to feed everytime with an occasional flush..

I feed around 1600 ppm's so I feed water feed water...

Best way to see if your over doing it is to measure the runoff of your ppm's

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
Im running cocogro was feeding everytime .....got the claw bad and overgreen leaves some burnt tips so I switched to feed water feed water plants are bright green and taking off now look much healther (and yes I think they ment feed normal water feed normal ) highest my feed goes is 1100ppm 4th week of flower if theirs one thing I have learned from the farm is not to be preimtive let the plant tell you what she needs if you keep a close eye one them they will tell you alot and not get out of shape to fast (if you watch them)

:rollj:

S

snkrhd23

So do you mean. Water with nutes until run off. Then when it dries out a bit. Water with plain water flushing it somewhat, then immediately water with nutes until run off again?

I could understand this way yes, If the watering is used for flushing, its a feasible solution. Without flushing it though, it just seems crazy.

its not really flushing a plant tho, jus bc u give it straight water ur actually like reconstituting the nutes that are already in the soil more than ur flushing. i run assmix#4 (lol) and feed water water. my ppms dont get as low as u think. if i feed at 800 ppm then next time water my runoff ppm is about 600 then next watering around 300 or lower.

T

theTinker

its not really flushing a plant tho, jus bc u give it straight water ur actually like reconstituting the nutes that are already in the soil more than ur flushing. i run assmix#4 (lol) and feed water water. my ppms dont get as low as u think. if i feed at 800 ppm then next time water my runoff ppm is about 600 then next watering around 300 or lower.

I completely agree snkrhd23. Its more of a remoistening of the soil rather than a flush. So I dont see how watering it this way keeps the salt build up low/lower etc avoiding burn. Unless im mistaken its the run off and the physical energy of a flushing that is removing salts. So watering with plain water seems kind of useless to me. Very confused on this still.

I feed each water. and end of veg, and near end of flowering.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
well if you feed 1100 ppm the plant uses say 800 ppm and you feed 10x thats 3000ppm still in the medim and the un soulable nutes held by bacteria and fungus are also in there so if you add 225 ppm water a percentage of the bacteria and nutes left in medium say 3 to 500 ppm you can see where im going with this right 225ppm +300ppm is 525 ppm even on water kind of like if you dry out some nutes on an surface then put water on it and reconstitute it this happen in your medium to ( this is unless you do flush compleatley with 200ppm water and runoff gets down to 200ppm) then its like a reset button

Top Bottom