Watering Cans !!!

• Thread starter mittenmedgrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

This thread is for the fascinating all important super interesting watering can. Post your pics of your favorite can and tell me what makes it your favorite. Over the years I have gone through many different watering cans, some good and a lot that sucked.
At the moment this is my family of cans.
Watering cans

My favorite for big plants when I'm really trying to put the water to them. She's a fisKars and does her job well.
Watering cans 2

This next little beauty is my favorite when I want to be nice and gentle to my seedlings and freshly planted cuts. Shes a southern patio and really nows how to get the job done right.
Watering cans 3

This last one is a haws long neck and I had high expectations for her but when it came time to take care of business she really let me down. This can doesn't flow well and needs to be tipped excessively to get her to give up her goodness. I thought she would work well for getting into tight places but not so much.

Watering cans 4
Last edited:
fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I have a Behrens galvanized watering can(made in the usa!).Ohnestly dont use it much though,i use a pump and watering wand with a brute for a res in flower but i still handwater veg using a party cup and a 5 gal bucket.My wrists are kind of jacked since my motorcycle wreck and the weight of tipping a full watercan fucks with them bad.Nice thing about the behrens though is you can just hold the handle(it pivots)and tip the can fairly easily.
watering-can-350x350.jpg

Nice clean room by the way.

Last edited:
mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Nice can fish, too rich for my blood. I'm looking for a long reach can like the haws but doesn't need to be tipped almost vertically to get the water out. Over the years I have gone back and forth between cans and the hose , wand and pump setup. I have never had a problem with the latter but I don't like how the trash can gets slimy and there's always a little left at the bottom. Does your brute get slimy? How often do you clean it? I was using a 3/4 horse sump pump from menards, what you using for a pump? Do you ever forget to unplug your pump when done and then you come in the next day and your reservoir is steaming and the water inside is near boiling? I have never done that but I can see how it could happen, I never forget anything. This thread was kinda meant to be a joke but I am seriously looking for the perfect can. I have spent hours looking online but haven't found the one yet. I spent more than 2 hours today pouring about 120 gallons of water through a can, an average day for me. If the bed needs water I can tack another 40 gallons. I'm about to head back down to the shop for my evening watering session probably another 30 gallons through the can. I have a very intimate relationship with my watering can she spends more time in my hands than any other tool I have except maybe the tool God gave me. That sucks you were injured on the scooter I had a wreck a few years ago but got off lucky with a busted ankle. I have a little gimp in my walk but no pain from it. Had the wife helping me clean today for the first time while the kids were at school, that was nice. She swept up and mopped floors for me. Damn that was a long post

K

kolah

I enjoy watering by hand. Those metal ones are great, FW...think I'll grab a few. ...as those god-dang plastic ones don't last for shit.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I use a little giant sump pump,cant remember the size but its on demand so it doesnt run until you squeeze the wand trigger so it wouldnt come on to get hot,you could also put it on a digital timer so you dont forget.I have 2 brutes that i change back and forth so waters in it a day or 2 and then it gets shopvaced and dryed out for a couple days so nothing grows.Keep your wand,hose and pump clean by running a bleach/water solution(1/4 cup per gallon)through it after watering,throw your pump into a small bucket with a gallon or 2 and pump it thru.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

@kolah I enjoy watering by hand to a point. Why would you need to pick up a few cans? How many arms you got? If I find one I like I will buy the galvanized version.
@fishwhistle
Thanks for the info, I will be checking into that for sure. Never knew there was an on demand pump. As much as I like walking back and forth 50 times from water supply to plants it's taking too long.
Couple more pics of my watering/workstation and a pic of part of my shop, still a little room for expansion. City approved and inspected.
20151214 215305
20151214 215331
20151214 215516

K

kolah

I carry one in each hand.

I'm off grid, no running water and very limited electric which run a few lights and my laptop.

I haul in water and fill my horse troughs and dip my water jugs from there. I've thought about gravity feeding/watering but I prefer doing it all by hand. It's a smalltime greenhouse grow, nuttin' fancy,

Last edited:
mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Fish I checked out the pumps but confused as to what makes it on demand. Is there a specific wand or pump?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I use a little giant sump pump,cant remember the size but its on demand so it doesnt run until you squeeze the wand trigger so it wouldnt come on to get hot,you could also put it on a digital timer so you dont forget.I have 2 brutes that i change back and forth so waters in it a day or 2 and then it gets shopvaced and dryed out for a couple days so nothing grows.Keep your wand,hose and pump clean by running a bleach/water solution(1/4 cup per gallon)through it after watering,throw your pump into a small bucket with a gallon or 2 and pump it thru.
I want a sump pump like that! I use a sump pump, it's now in the AP system so I need another sump pump. Linky link?

@mittenmedgrow -- looking at that space, I don't know how you're finding the time just to water. But I'm one of those "work smarter, not harder" kinda gal with a bad back, so I love me a pump and wand.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

@Seamaiden it's faster for me to dip cans and do like kolah , one in each hand. More work for sure but takes a little less time. Very interested in fish's on demand setup. I'm a one man show over here at this point. I did 95% of the build out myself including electrical. I have material here to build one more room but haven't had time to do it. I did have a certified electrical contractor who is a friend of mine plan my electric and get permits. Between trying to raise 4 kids under 8 , keeping the wife happy , helping other locals get their show going , running my own garden and feeding my thc farmer addiction there is not much time left for me. My next major evolutionary step would be to automate my watering but I have no experience with that and now is not the time for experimentation. At this point I think I need to stick to what's been working, heavily invested at this point and failure of any kind would be devestating.
@Smokey503ski
Good idea, I have not seen that before thanks for the info.

Last edited:
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

no pics, but I modified my 2gal watering can. I unscrewed the spout (rain drop type), fitted some 3/4" hose with a double threaded male fitting in the hose, 2x hose clamps, then fitted a watering wand (2') to the double threaded end. kinda hard to describe. but works great.

str8smokn

str8smokn

The only on -demand pump I can think off would be a well pump of some kind.
Hey @fishwhistle do you have a model #or something.
STR8

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

The on demand pumps im talking about are boat/marine wash down pumps,johnson,shurflo blasters,jabsco's etc.They sense pressure,when you open the nozzle/wand pressure drops and pump comes on,close it pressure builds and turns itself off.I still turn the pump off when im done but its not a deal breaker if i dont or i get distracted for awhile.They dont make the little giant bilge pumps anymore but the others are basically the same.

str8smokn

str8smokn

The on demand pumps im talking about are boat/marine wash down pumps,johnson,shurflo blasters,jabsco's etc.They sense pressure,when you open the nozzle/wand pressure drops and pump comes on,close it pressure builds and turns itself off.I still turn the pump off when im done but its not a deal breaker if i dont or i get distracted for awhile.They dont make the little giant bilge pumps anymore but the others are basically the same.

Cool thanks for the link and reply .
STR8

Latest posts

Top Bottom