What Constitutes A "digital Ballast"?

• Thread starter Budzy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Budzy

Budzy

Hi gang,
I bought a new timer for my light but it says "NOT FOR USE WITH DIGITAL BALLASTS".

I have an adjustable 300w/450w/600w mh/hps light and ballast but there is no digital display or buttons on it anyplace. not even and on/off switch. Just a dial-type knob to adjust the power.

Do I have a digital ballast and what is the harm in it even if it is?

Thanks guys.

*EDIT - it says right on the thing "digital ballast". duh... smoke another.
So what is the problem with using the timer with it?

Last edited:
Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Personally I've never paid attention to what timer I've plugged my ballast into and Never Had an issue. But maybe I've been lucky. I didn't even know there could be a problem with the timer...

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

As a matter of fact I've just used the timers that come with the ballast and no issues ever. Just find one that come with a digital and buy it not difficult.

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

That timer looks identical to the one sold by Hydrofarm and both are selling these specifically for use with these set-ups. I have to believe that the timers are rated for handling what they need to handle. It's probably more about the company selling them wanting to clear themselves of any liability, some people will do some pretty stupid shit with their set-ups, creating some gnarly fire hazards.
I've never seen that on any of the timers I've used but, never looked too hard either. Never had any trouble with any of them.

Budzy

Budzy

The one that came with the light/ballast just looks like a $10 wal-mart timer to me. Problem with it is, besides being hard to set with those push-down things, it doesn't have a battery backup and i been having power outages screwing up light schedule. Will be a miracle if she don't hermie as many times as that light has been off/on and she was vegged under 24/0 lighting and i think that makes them more susceptible to it but not sure.

With just one 600w hid on it i think it will be ok... maybe they mean multiple ballast's, i dunno.

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

I don't believe that vegging under 24/0 makes them more susceptible to herming, I've known people that have done it for a long time and don't have trouble with it.

Budzy

Budzy

that's good news, no signs of it so far...
I found this, from an electrician:

when shopping for a plug in timer, for ultimate safety you have to get one that is rated for inductive loads and horse power like a pool or A/C time switch, if it is not mentioned then assume it's a resistive load timer.

And the cheap looking one that came with the light says "1/2 HP" on the back label but nothing about being "inductive". Guess I better stick with that one since it has a horsepower rating.
So now we know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom