What kind of filter on your chiller?

• Thread starter SodaLicious
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I just purchased the 1/4 hp hydrofarm chiller. I am not sure what I should do for a filter. I was hoping to get some info from other people running chillers. My res is aprox 40 gallons, and I top feed my plants in a RDWC type system. I feed with 1/2 inch lines at the top, and have 1" returns. I bought one of these in hopes it will work any thoughts??

http://www.discount-hydro.com/products/In%2dLine-Water-Filter.html

RollinEndough

RollinEndough

It's just like the one you linked to. I took it off after a week.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

The Chiller I have says to use a 600 gph pump, but it came with 2 different sizes for in and out fittings. Because I am only trying to chill 40 gallons or so should I use a smaller pump?

guyonthecouch

guyonthecouch

The filters have a tube inside made of really fine mesh. They can become clogged easily and slow down the water flow. You have to clean them pretty often. I ran my chiller for a long time with no filter. It's not going to hurt the chiller or anything. It's present on the UC mostly to stop roots from getting into the pump. If you use media that floats, it could have a chance to get into the pump as well. Use the "Rocks" instead, they don't have that problem.

On the question about the pump size, use the size it recommends. The speed of the water has a lot to do with how efficient the chiller operates.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

The filters have a tube inside made of really fine mesh. They can become clogged easily and slow down the water flow. You have to clean them pretty often. I ran my chiller for a long time with no filter. It's not going to hurt the chiller or anything. It's present on the UC mostly to stop roots from getting into the pump. If you use media that floats, it could have a chance to get into the pump as well. Use the "Rocks" instead, they don't have that problem.

On the question about the pump size, use the size it recommends. The speed of the water has a lot to do with how efficient the chiller operates.

Thanks alot guyonthecouch for responding! Is there a better type of filter to use, or am i stuck just cleaning it daily?

guyonthecouch

guyonthecouch

If you are going to run a filter on the system, use that one. It's not too bad to clean, you just have to do it often. Put shut-off valves on either side of it so you can pull the filter with water still in the system.

Top Bottom