what nutes are good for aeroponics?

• Thread starter willy led wonka
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

willy led wonka

Curious to know from "hydrorocks" or other members what they recommend for a total aeroponic system and what rates nutrients are used in these types of sytems---roots suspended in air only. They get bathed and then water drains back to resivior under a root mat so the roots dont get into the run off. I just finished my first round with this system and im really happy. But ive been around long enough to know im missing something here. Thanks for your help in advanced....wonka

ttystikk

ttystikk

Okay, so I'm the first to admit I'm not an aeroponic expert, but from what I've read and what I know from other activities, I'm going to lay out some basic assumptions and then from those I'll make a few recommendations.

Assumptions:
1. Anything that goes through a fully aeroponic system must be fully dissolved, no solids, period. This helps avoid clogged emitters and buildup on roots.

2. Any nutrient must therefore be fully water soluble, preferably chelated to remain in suspension and be fully available to the roots on contact.

3. Due to the extreme aerobic environment, it's not helpful to have a lot of microbial activity going on, so microbes and mycchorhizae, etc would be counterproductive, lest something end up causing root rot.

Soooo, based on the above assumptions (and if you think any of them are suspect, feel free to point it out), I'd recommend a NON-organic nutrient system, something that fully and completely dissolves. Coincidentally, these are similar conditions to what you might want for an RDWC system, even though the roots in such systems are floating in the water full time.

I use Jacks Hydroponic nutrients, epsom salts, and calcium nitrate. I bet it would work well in your situation, too. BE CERTAIN you start with a very, very low EC dose of whatever you use, since the aeroponic system tends to concentrate nutrient salts on the roots.

link:

Hope this helps. Let me know what you try, and how it works out for you!

W

willy led wonka

so far, thats roughly the same information im coming up with. I used AN this round to see how it did. I didnt have any issues with clogged emitters, salt build up or anything like that. Im just trying to learn as much about this aeroponics as possible. I did get thru this round without any issues. So far, so good. Im learning that its better to use synthetics in this system also. Due to the nature of it, i read somewhere that beneficials arent necessary to aero because of the highly oxygenated root zone and the roots feel like they are almost being fogged, the mist in there is so fine. My nutrient formula for rdwc worked ok,,,,,but i did have to add more cal/ mag which was unusual for me. Like i said, its still a learning process for me with the aero. Its got my canna senses tingling though...lol.

I

IVIars

I've used gh 3-part, h&g, and dutch master. They all work good, h&g prob the better of the 3

W

willy led wonka

thanks for you input. The aqua flakes im assuming?/

MyAeroponics

MyAeroponics

I have been running my home made aeroponic system for a year now. The results have been good. I use BMO nutrients, no clogs. I have been afreaid to try anything else. I do know that my plants respond best to fresh water. I keep the tank full all the time and change out the water every month, no matter what. All i do is check my ppm every day. The plants eat about 10 to 20 ppm everyday. So I keep it around 225 ppm. I have not added epson salt or mag. What would I gain from it? Do those things help and what would I notice a differnce? I averrage 2 to 3 inches of growth everyday and they are green.

SweetTooth

SweetTooth

I have used GH 3 part, sensi 2 part, and hydro fuel 2 part with sucess. The sensi 2 part seemed to be the better of the 3 when I was growing aero.

mauiinfinity

mauiinfinity

Check out cutting edge!! I have been using them for a year now and love them... I might check out the Technaflora though that legitfrog recomended those look pretty nice too

Top Bottom