What Nutrients Shall Is Use On A First Attempt??

• Thread starter Newbie987
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SMACKA

SMACKA

It's time for you to buy calibration fluid and re-calibrate your pen

they claim if it dries out it's toast. But either way like R said at least get some calibration fluids and calibrate. Then if the probe is indeed fried you know you need to grab another.

Thanks guys (gals?) - so... I thankfully had some calibration fluid, have re-calibrated it, and it's been in storage solution... the pen appears to still be accurate (recognizes each of the 4 and 7 solution accurately and water seems correct), so I've been using it with my seedlings. Seems to be "working".

But the fact that everyone is so cut & dry about when the probe dries out, it makes me worry whether it could become a huge source of issues. I'm going to put some more thought into it.

I appreciate your responses. Thanks.

P

Pimples

Is it really this straight forward? If the probe dries out, the pen's useless?

Have always heard this but mine dried out a while back but I've still been using it because it appears to be accurate.

Is this naive of me? Time for a new one?
Do you know of something for sure pH? Like your tap water maybe?

SMACKA

SMACKA

I spoke too soon - just went to re-calibrate it, and it managed to read the 7 properly, but when in the 4 solution it never calibrates, instead just dropped from 3.98, 3.97, 3.96... etc.

I'm using the HI 98129 which has a replaceable probe. Will I need a new EC and pH probe, or just the pH probe? Anyone know the place to buy one of these in Canada?

P

Pimples

I spoke too soon - just went to re-calibrate it, and it managed to read the 7 properly, but when in the 4 solution it never calibrates, instead just dropped from 3.98, 3.97, 3.96... etc.

I'm using the HI 98129 which has a replaceable probe. Will I need a new EC and pH probe, or just the pH probe? Anyone know the place to buy one of these in Canada?
Yer way over thinking this pH meter stuff broseph. If yer 4.0 calibration reads that then yer good. Its not an exact point by point micro decimal dealy. Hobby hydroponics meters aren't pin point accurate..nor do they need be. Your good. Just keep her calibrated with7 and4 solutions monthly. Adjust your nutrient tanks accordingly and dont worry about all of that.

P

Pimples

Thats why i like Blue Lab gear over the Hannah...Milwaukee..Oatkton type pens and stuff. They dont get into all the micro point decimal readings. I mean..its fine and all but not necessary and confusing to newish growers. Point being..but a meter or pen that has a replaceable electrode and stick with it. Keep it clean and calibrate often. Keep it moist always. Never in r.o. or deionized water. The best is kcl solution but normal tap will work.

P

Pimples

Keep of the mindset that hobby hydroponics pH pens and meters are more of a shotgun approach as compared to the pinpoint accuracy of a rifle and you will be ok.

P

Pimples

Litmus paper... good back up!
Or the old school Myron liquid test kits from way back. Even the General Hydro kit with the bromothymol blue indicator works but not with todays colored solutions especially with black as coffee humics and kelps as the standard additives

SMACKA

SMACKA

Keep of the mindset that hobby hydroponics pH pens and meters are more of a shotgun approach as compared to the pinpoint accuracy of a rifle and you will be ok.

You're totally right I'm over-thinking it.

Litmus paper... good back up!

For the price, I suppose it's worth having a stack lying around. Thanks for bringing it up!

JMcG

JMcG

Sunlight supply makes a small roll in its own little plastic case that dispenses it like scotch tape.
Also, does it matter if I use up Hannah calibration solutions with my new Bluelab? They are unopened satchels.

P

Pimples

Sunlight supply makes a small roll in its own little plastic case that dispenses it like scotch tape.
Also, does it matter if I use up Hannah calibration solutions with my new Bluelab? They are unopened satchels.
No it doesn't. The different brands dont have an exclusive calibration. They are all 4.0 7.0 or for you 3 point calibration geeks...a 10.0

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Hey guys,!
I have been getting ready for my first attempt at growing for about a month now. I've been getting my information from a friend that has had a few successful crops. The one thing I am struggling with is nutrition and what I should use. I've recently bought my base of canna coco a&b to go with my canna coco plus medium. As this is my first attempt I don't want to mess with all sort of fertilisers and additives. Can I use the coco A&B from veg till end of flower without additives? If not what additives can I get away with not using as I've been told I will need my a&b, boost, rhizotonic, cannazym and pk 13/14.

Thanks guy, in advance!

Blue planet nutrients

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Yer way over thinking this pH meter stuff broseph. If yer 4.0 calibration reads that then yer good. Its not an exact point by point micro decimal dealy. Hobby hydroponics meters aren't pin point accurate..nor do they need be. Your good. Just keep her calibrated with7 and4 solutions monthly. Adjust your nutrient tanks accordingly and dont worry about all of that.
I respectively disagree. My meter gets cleaned and re-calibrated every few weeks. And when i do, its hardly ever off more than a point.. Your 20 meter might not be worth shit, but there is meters that are, and lastly, their is a difference in being pin point on, and soso.....
Kinda like their is a differeance in weed that is pin point on, and some thats, well, soso.....
imo.....

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I respectively disagree. My meter gets cleaned and re-calibrated every few weeks. And when i do, its hardly ever off more than a point.. Your 20 meter might not be worth shit, but there is meters that are, and lastly, their is a difference in being pin point on, and soso.....
Kinda like their is a differeance in weed that is pin point on, and some thats, well, soso.....
imo.....
@Pimples ,,,,,I see after a few posts that i somewhat misunderstood your point... my bad... buy a meter worth its salt and keep it clean is I guess my thoughts...

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

LOL ,, who"s thread am i even in???
hahaha...
Is this my boy newbal gotti(newbie???) some shit with some girls in coco, with canna nutes a+b?
So what is the meter discussion about? Someone catch me up to speed since its evident i dont know wtf im talking about, harassing ole pimples and shit....
btw, if my thoughts serve me well, your not quite as old as dirt, but your getting there, so wtf was your thinking when you decided on pimples? Something i guess i would name my wife's ankle biter, if my grumpy ass had a wife, and she had a dog???
Purely theoretical and subjective, I know ....
Hi, Im EVENT :)

P

Pimples

imo.....
Huh? A pH of 5.875 or whatever is not going to make any difference to something 5.7....
5.8...5.9 or even 6.0 most of the time. Cmon. Way over thinking it all. Its basic horticulture folks...not lab grade equipment and rocket science. And it doesnt take an Einstein to tie shoelaces (think about that one for a minute). If you wanna ph shit down to pin point accuracy get a bench top model (thousands of dollars) and pH something till your hearts content...with a lab coat and laboratory. But it aint weed babe...it aint weed. Your cultivars (strains) you choose to grow is 85% of having top shelf buds. And you can take that to the bank.

Last edited:
Top Bottom