What To Use For A Sticker/spreader With Foliar?

• Thread starter Natural
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Natural

Natural

When it comes to the Foliar Pack..will a couple of drops of DrBronner's Peppermint kill my bennies? Or should I just spray it without a sticker? Any suggestions?
This is for battling FG's in actual foliar spraying.

Last edited:
Tnelz

Tnelz

Using coco wet with all foliars. Even my tea foliars once a week.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
JMS Stylet oil is very good, as is a few drops of something like Dr. Bronner's. I don't usually foliar Cap's beneficials, though, I usually am using those as a soil drench. In this instance, I would lean towards a few drops of soap to break the surface tension here, rather than an oil which may smother the microorganisms. Of course... the functional difference between the soap and the oil is the lye that bonds with the fats, so there're still lipids in there, they just can't behave the same. Don't ask me to talk about the chemistry behind it, that's for the squigginator.

Tnelz

Tnelz

JMS Stylet oil is very good, as is a few drops of something like Dr. Bronner's. I don't usually foliar Cap's beneficials, though, I usually am using those as a soil drench. In this instance, I would lean towards a few drops of soap to break the surface tension here, rather than an oil which may smother the microorganisms. Of course... the functional difference between the soap and the oil is the lye that bonds with the fats, so there're still lipids in there, they just can't behave the same. Don't ask me to talk about the chemistry behind it, that's for the squigginator.
Hey sea can u talk about the chemistry in that.lol. Kidding!

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Not sure if the soap is safe to bennies. Have not tested under a scope.

Yucca extract makes sprays stick to crop foliage. Active ingredients are steroid saponins-complex sugar structures which help plants assimilate nutrients. Safe to "bennies".

@mastacheeser Indicate 5 or Kenetic will save you a ton of $$ over DM. Way better application rate and cost. Listed as being compatible with "bennies" like bactillus.

Indicate 5 has built in ph indicator. http://www.brandt.co/Portals/0/PDFs/IND5-BROCH-2007.pdf

@Tnelz Coco wet is not "Bennie" safe. I tested adding coco wet to aact. Checked the aact before and after under a microscope. Microbes went dormant after adding coco wet.

@Seamaiden, No chemistry involved. What is obvious to me when I think about the products purpose. IT is a a fungicide!
Cide = Death Stylet oil is a fungicide so there goes any fungi you brewed.

Tnelz

Tnelz

Not sure if the soap is safe to bennies. Have not tested under a scope.

Yucca extract makes sprays stick to crop foliage. Active ingredients are steroid saponins-complex sugar structures which help plants assimilate nutrients. Safe to "bennies".

@mastacheeser Indicate 5 or Kenetic will save you a ton of $$ over DM. Way better application rate and cost. Listed as being compatible with "bennies" like bactillus.

Indicate 5 has built in ph indicator. http://www.brandt.co/Portals/0/PDFs/IND5-BROCH-2007.pdf

@Tnelz Coco wet is not "Bennie" safe. I tested adding coco wet to aact. Checked the aact before and after under a microscope. Microbes went dormant after adding coco wet.

@Seamaiden, No chemistry involved. What is obvious to me when I think about the products purpose. IT is a a fungicide!
Thanks for the wisdom led! Pissed now. Lol. Looks like yucca is the move. Thanks again!

Natural

Natural

Thanks for all the input guys..I have a small aloe plant..but not big enough to futz with. I'll go the bennies only route, until I can locate something compatible.

Myco

Myco

I used coco wet for a very long time, with various applications. Shit!

Lately I've used Humboldt Sticky which is mostly yucca extract I believe, and for it's purpose, it works very well. Just hoping it doesn't harm microbes....?

I think I'm going to order some straight yucca extract either way... been meaning to for some time. Good info @leadsled!
To correct myself: no where on the "Humboldt Sticky" label does it say anything about Yucca, I was thinking of another product. The ONLY thing I see as far as contents is "also contains non-plant-food ingredients: organic saponins." Which would make you think it's microbe-safe... but... Not sure if this is the only ingredients, as in, with the presence of the word "also", you would expect an accompanied list of MAIN ingredients. Hm?

I would like to know how safe HS is though... hey, @leadsled :) lol...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Its activity is by physical barrier to fruiting bodies. If the beneficials are intended to get into the leaf cuticle then I'm not sure how they would kill the fungi and bacteria, but I believe that if they're locked up in a droplet of water they have about as much chance of making it into the cuticle. I haven't scoped it, and like I said, I don't really foliar the bennies that often, they're usually applied as soil drenches.

Saponins are called so because they are 'soapy', yes? ;)

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
I stated yucca extract as a sticker spreader wetting agent, because I know it is beneficial to plants.
Yucca is present in sea green and the microbes are not dormant. Testing it by scoping out what you use is prefered over taking my word for it. So many factors in place and we are talking about microbes that are delicate. Another thing to think about is cycling, I got some dormant microbes from the coco wet, then I apply more active microbes that consume the dormant ones.

My point of view is teaming with microbes, the goal is protecting against dieases by forming a biofilm on the leaves.
Thanks for mentioning aloe @Natural
I forgot to mention Aloe Vera as a wetting agent. There probably will be some die off with yucca or aloe vera. Since they are saponins, which is soap and anti microbial. Like to test adding to brew at first vs at end of brew as well.

I mentioned yucca over aloe since it does not contain Salicyclic acid. I you want to play it safe with SARS/ISR during flower could use Aloe vera for veg, then switch over to yucca for flower.
IME< Testing with a microscope is best.

Last edited:
leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Its activity is by physical barrier to fruiting bodies. If the beneficials are intended to get into the leaf cuticle then I'm not sure how they would kill the fungi and bacteria, but I believe that if they're locked up in a droplet of water they have about as much chance of making it into the cuticle. I haven't scoped it, and like I said, I don't really foliar the bennies that often, they're usually applied as soil drenches.

Saponins are called so because they are 'soapy', yes? ;)
Probably does not matter in your case. Since your approach is different.
I never said anything about bacteria only fungi. I probably should have not posted anything. The microbes can break down the waxes oils, if they were being applied.
Again does not apply to you since you do not foliar.

Reason I say that. I should have put a little more time thinking about it before posting.
bacteria are what is doing alot of the protection via a biofilm on the leaves. So my point about the fungicide is probably not important as far as building a biofilm of bacteria that is being brewed in a tea.
Yes, saponins are soaps.

The question was about a sticker spreader for foliar, yet you keep talking about what you use. Does not seem relevant. Or is it?

Natural

Natural

So, I let the foliar mix settle out and scooped from the top to avoid the talc. Talc was still present and now looks like the worst case of PM ever...lol. The fungus gnats freaked out! I gave them all plenty of soil drench..but wanted to kill some fliers. 24 hrs and I don't see any fliers at all..that's a good sign. It spread pretty even when I sprayed..but next time I do this I'm going to make a foliar tea...just a small bit of molasses and some EWC's.
Thanks for all the input guys..really appreciate it.
@ [URL='https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/members/leadsled.15120/']leadsled [/URL]man I wish I had a microscope...might be time to troll ebay.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Probably does not matter in your case. Since your approach is different.
I never said anything about bacteria only fungi. I probably should have not posted anything. The microbes can break down the waxes oils, if they were being applied.
Again does not apply to you since you do not foliar.

Reason I say that. I should have put a little more time thinking about it before posting.
bacteria are what is doing alot of the protection via a biofilm on the leaves. So my point about the fungicide is probably not important as far as building a biofilm of bacteria that is being brewed in a tea.
Yes, saponins are soaps.

The question was about a sticker spreader for foliar, yet you keep talking about what you use. Does not seem relevant. Or is it?
Indeed, the question was actually rather specific to foliars of beneficial microbes, not just foliars. I wasn't comfortable with my response after reading yours, so I did some digging and sought out some answers. First, I tried to find out if there's been any kind of study done on how JMS or true soaps affect soil microbes, and not having a whole lot of time, I really didn't find anything (if it's out there). I do use foliar applications, just not often, and ACTs are applied in this manner even less often.

So I contacted one of the cats who runs KIS Organics, they also work closely with Microbeman, and the elder of the father & son pair is cited by one Elaine Ingham in her book on AACTs, so I consider theirs to be expert recommendations. Remembering that I do *not* regularly use beneficial microbe foliar applications, here's the brief exchange.

Seamaiden said:
I have a question for you with regard to sticker-spreaders and beneficial microbes used on leaf surfaces. I've used a few drops of Dr. Bronner's soap, or JMS Stylet oil, when foliaring ACT. Am I undoing the work the microbes have just done by growing?
KIS said:
With ACT you don't need anything. The bacteria form natural glues. You're probably fine though.

Myco

Myco

@Seamaiden - interesting response from them, as I have in fact noticed that ACT and some teas tend to "spread" a bit without addition of a spreader, but IMO need some additional release of surface tension is very helpful in proper coverage.... :confused:

So, I let the foliar mix settle out and scooped from the top to avoid the talc. Talc was still present and now looks like the worst case of PM ever...lol. The fungus gnats freaked out! I gave them all plenty of soil drench..but wanted to kill some fliers. 24 hrs and I don't see any fliers at all..that's a good sign. It spread pretty even when I sprayed..but next time I do this I'm going to make a foliar tea...just a small bit of molasses and some EWC's.
Thanks for all the input guys..really appreciate it.
@ leadsled man I wish I had a microscope...might be time to troll ebay.
Haha... I passed some cuts to an acquaintance that had a small bit of this effect, and they kicked and screamed that I passed them cuts with PM, even after I'd explained what the spots were... Silly, ungrateful son of a gun.

Natural

Natural

Indeed, the question was actually rather specific to foliars of beneficial microbes, not just foliars. I wasn't comfortable with my response after reading yours, so I did some digging and sought out some answers. First, I tried to find out if there's been any kind of study done on how JMS or true soaps affect soil microbes, and not having a whole lot of time, I really didn't find anything (if it's out there). I do use foliar applications, just not often, and ACTs are applied in this manner even less often.

So I contacted one of the cats who runs KIS Organics, they also work closely with Microbeman, and the elder of the father & son pair is cited by one Elaine Ingham in her book on AACTs, so I consider theirs to be expert recommendations. Remembering that I do *not* regularly use beneficial microbe foliar applications, here's the brief exchange.

Thanks SM...good info!

Top Bottom