Why The Hate For Cheap Leds?

• Thread starter OldManRiver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Irietime

Irietime

160.00 galaxy hydro 600w. I've done four rounds with it this year. It works great, not huge yields, but chronic as f@@k!peace
IMG 6397

gwheels

gwheels

It is longevity of the light. And quality and production ability. But if you are a regular joe that needs a bit maybe they will do the trick.

I equate it to tools. I work on cars a lot. I do not have cheap tools because they fail on Sunday when the parts stores are closed.

But I started growing with a mars 48 (100 watts) and I got my first 2 zips from that light. The light is still working i just never run it because I have way better lights. One day i will sell off but its hard to part with history :D

sixstring

sixstring

It is longevity of the light. And quality and production ability. But if you are a regular joe that needs a bit maybe they will do the trick.

I equate it to tools. I work on cars a lot. I do not have cheap tools because they fail on Sunday when the parts stores are closed.

But I started growing with a mars 48 (100 watts) and I got my first 2 zips from that light. The light is still working i just never run it because I have way better lights. One day i will sell off but its hard to part with history :D

Its exactly like tools,you can buy the cheap china shit from harbor freight and get the job done and probably strip a few bolts along with crackin yer fuckin knuckles on some shit
Or you can buy the good shit like snap on or crap-man and they last forever and you get to keep the skin on yer knuckles lol

CallmeTex

CallmeTex

100 5779

So I spent a little over 5 hundo for this light which is around 500 watts. Pleased so far, nice warm bright color coming off her. It's an hlg 480-2100 driver, paired with four QB288's and a frame out of 3/4" angled aluminum.
No bloody knuckles this time. :D

There is a post on here and the guy nailed a jack herer scrog with a viparspar LED. They work for growing. :D

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...eeds-in-dwc-scrog-under-700w-led.88123/page-2
So just to point out the obvious. @Tomcat did really well with this grow. Only had one foul up when the A/C went out for a couple days. And even so pulled around 228 grams with a 326 watt viparspectra, which is around .7 g/w
With cob lighting the lowest I've gotten so far has been 1.1 g/w and the higher around 1.5 g/w. Lots of people are getting the same results. I really have no interest in people buying one light over the other. I just want people to be well informed.

Tomcat

Tomcat

View attachment 731317
So I spent a little over 5 hundo for this light which is around 500 watts. Pleased so far, nice warm bright color coming off her. It's an hlg 480-2100 driver, paired with four QB288's and a frame out of 3/4" angled aluminum.
No bloody knuckles this time. :D

So just to point out the obvious. @Tomcat did really well with this grow. Only had one foul up when the A/C went out for a couple days. And even so pulled around 228 grams with a 326 watt viparspectra, which is around .7 g/w
With cob lighting the lowest I've gotten so far has been 1.1 g/w and the higher around 1.5 g/w. Lots of people are getting the same results. I really have no interest in people buying one light over the other. I just want people to be well informed.
Not to mention, I am not a professional by any means. I am really just winging it. Lol

CallmeTex

CallmeTex

Not to mention, I am not a professional by any means. I am really just winging it. Lol
Right on, it looks like you know what your doing though.. Your well on your way to Pro status:cool:

C

ChunkySkunky

It isn't less power consumption. Its about the same power consumption for more yield. If you don't need the yield, there isn't much savings.

For example, I'm running two Higrows, for a wall usage of about 375 watts. Let's say I get .5 gr per watt for the grow. That will be about 180 grs, or about 6 ounces. We smoke about an ounce a month. Over the four month cycle, we produce more than we consume. I don't sell, so the excess is simply free weed; no actual savings.

If I get the timber grow lights 300 Watt COB setup, I'm out $579 bucks. Yeah, I'll get more yield, but again, the excess doesn't really do me any good; I don't sell. I'll spend $300 more than I'm out now. My electric rate is $.07/kwh, so the electric savings is minimal. I'll save about 75 watts/hour over the grow, or about 11 bucks over the crop.

I get that COBs are better. But they are pretty expensive to get that better. I'm gonna see what the higrows will do. The reviews by the actual users on Amazon remain more positive than the reviews by the non-users here, and my past results were quite successful as far as they went. I remain cautious about what the budding will be like, but we'll get that knowledge soon.

I started out with the Mars Blurples and they do work absolutely fine, but I think they lack in penetration compared to cobs. Not really an issue for me as I run a scrog, just an observation.

If I were in your situation (I would start selling some pot :) jk), I would look at it slightly differently.

If I (like you) had a yield that I wanted to hit and no more, then I would still go for the cobs, and run them dimmed and adjust the dimming level until I hit the yield I needed.

The more you dim, the more efficient the cobs run, the less power you use, the greater the longevity of the lights. Yes it's an investment, but if you plan to keep going for a couple of years, you will keep getting the same yield AND save power. They will pay for themselves in lower power bills over a couple of years.

You don't have to run cobs balls to the wall, in fact the softer you run them the bigger the savings are.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

But I LIKE growing pot. Its one of my favorite hobbies. I just don't need to grow mountains.

Really, at the end of the day, its angels dancing on the head of a pin. I'm trying to reconcile the reviews of over 50 users on Amazon, with actual experience with the lights, with the opinions here, which, to be blunt, seem largely experience free as reagrds to the current crop of available lights. I think the only resolution is to complete my grow, and get actual experience. I may be a timber lights customer in 4 months.
I bought a temt for 200 on Amazon.
The inside zipper lining started frazling..
I complained.. Nothing..
Left a review...
They contacted me and said If I WOULD CHANGE MY 2 STAR TO 5 STAR they would semd me a whole nother tent cover...
I agreed thinking thats a good deal...
After a week i started seeing pin holes here and there..
I went back and changed the rating again to 3 stars since they at least sent me a new cover...
They begged and pleaded with me to at least raise it to a 4 star... Said Amazon frowned on 3 star ratings..
I ignored there emails...
They wete pissed..
I beleive in Amazon ratings about as much as I beleive in Santa...

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Well, I'm 40 days into my grow with the cheapos, as you can see on my grow diary thread, and thus far the plants are doing well. I have a jones for some COBs, but I'm gonna continue the experiment all the way through. The plants are healthy, vigorous, and aren't stretching.

stonestacker

stonestacker

Well, I'm 40 days into my grow with the cheapos, as you can see on my grow diary thread, and thus far the plants are doing well. I have a jones for some COBs, but I'm gonna continue the experiment all the way through. The plants are healthy, vigorous, and aren't stretching.
Try putting a link to your grow in your signature you might get more peps to drop by.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

tag me brother.. let me come check it out..

MW7945

MW7945

I bought a temt for 200 on Amazon.
The inside zipper lining started frazling..
I complained.. Nothing..
Left a review...
They contacted me and said If I WOULD CHANGE MY 2 STAR TO 5 STAR they would semd me a whole nother tent cover...
I agreed thinking thats a good deal...
After a week i started seeing pin holes here and there..
I went back and changed the rating again to 3 stars since they at least sent me a new cover...
They begged and pleaded with me to at least raise it to a 4 star... Said Amazon frowned on 3 star ratings..
I ignored there emails...
They wete pissed..
I beleive in Amazon ratings about as much as I beleive in Santa...

I work for a company that does well into the six-figures in sales on amazon monthly. I can tell you this, companies will do ANYTHING to get rid of 1-2 star reviews. Leave 1 star review and you'll likely be offered a new product within 24 hours. Reviews are everything on there as it helps you immensely on the ranking system.

I got a fairly cheap tent off there and it probably does have pin holes, but the room my tent is in barely gets any light the way it is so I'm not too worried about it. Gonna have to order a 4x4 tent here pretty soon as the 3x3 isn't going to be big enough for my next grow. That being said I'll probably just stick with a cheaper one. They're all the same thing with a different logo printed on them for the most part

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I work for a company that does well into the six-figures in sales on amazon monthly. I can tell you this, companies will do ANYTHING to get rid of 1-2 star reviews. Leave 1 star review and you'll likely be offered a new product within 24 hours. Reviews are everything on there as it helps you immensely on the ranking system.

I got a fairly cheap tent off there and it probably does have pin holes, but the room my tent is in barely gets any light the way it is so I'm not too worried about it. Gonna have to order a 4x4 tent here pretty soon as the 3x3 isn't going to be big enough for my next grow. That being said I'll probably just stick with a cheaper one. They're all the same thing with a different logo printed on them for the most part
Its the zipper features inside the tent that is the cheap part and metal locking support bars...
I got pin holes in every tent and they never caused 1 single issue...
and i agree totally with what you said!

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

So, I have a complete crop under my belt with the lights now. I grew ChemDog and Green Crack. For anyone who searches up this thread, let me offer some conclusions that are actually experience based:

As has been said, these work fine, even great for vegging. The plants grow quickly, nice squat form, very healthy. After the flip is a different story. When the plants reached the stretch, they stretched far more than useful. Internodes were six to seven inches, and leaf petioles stretch to 8 or 9 inches. This caused the plants to stretch three feet over the SCROG screen even though I trained them for a full two weeks after the flip; I ran out of room to raise the light. This cramped things, and of course the bottom of the plants were light starved, reducing yield. There is something missing in either intensity or spectrum to control height.

That said, while I haven't weighed it yet, it looks like at least a QP of weed (green crack isn't down yet, so don't know how much is there, but it looks like two oz, and the chem dog is about 3). I have less than $300 in the whole setup. The buds are tight, sticky, and excellent smoke, better than my outdoor crop (which was a different strain). At current pot store prices here in Washington, that's easily $1000 worth of weed. Frankly, the ChemDog is the best I have smoked in a long while, better than my outside white widow which everyone agrees is excellent. The grow kit (lights and everything) got paid for three times over.

I conclude that the lights are fine, if inferior to COB's or sodiums/halides. They are very low heat, which is excellent for a closet grow. I have designs on a COB setup in the future, but don't have the funds right now. I'm gonna keep using these.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Ended up with 186 grams between the two plants, or very close to a gram per watt. The quality of the weed is excellent. I continue to conclude that these lights will do until I can afford something better.

Top Bottom