Yellow Tips On Seedlings

• Thread starter jinxjj
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jinxjj

I have some seedlings that are about a week old. My best one just started showing yellow on the tips of the leaves. Also noticed this on a few of the others.

I started the seeds in jiffy peat Moss pucks which I am guessing this the issue. I transplanted them into Humboldt nutrients soil today and tried to pick off as much peat as I could. I did notice that on a good amount of the pucks the roots were starting to grow out the side. The pucks were on the dry side too.

Pics attached, these were under cfl and I just moved under LED.

Yellow tips on seedlings
Yellow tips on seedlings 2
Yellow tips on seedlings 3
Yellow tips on seedlings 4
Yellow tips on seedlings 5
Tnelz

Tnelz

Probably pH related. Or needs some calcium. Anytime my tips yellow in soil I check the pH of my runoff and it's usually low. Seeing u were in peat that would be my bet. I wouldn't be overly worried if u already transplanted. Get ur pH to the proper levels bro and u should b cool.

J

jinxjj

Soil and water pH are good so hopefully the peat will flush soon and the seedlings can thrive. Doesn't look like they are hurting too bad.

Tnelz

Tnelz

Soil and water pH are good so hopefully the peat will flush soon and the seedlings can thrive. Doesn't look like they are hurting too bad.
Def doesn't. They r young enough to be fine. I'd give it a few days. If ur pH is on point and it persists I would up my CA. Levels.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Does the seedling have Skunk #1 in the genetics?

J

jinxjj

Not sure at all, they are all from bag seed. They should all be indica "Ogre" is what i was told it was but looking that up online it didnt match up. There may also be a sativa or 2 in there that had a nice purple to it which was also bag seed. They were both some really nice bugs so hopefully these will produce similar results :)

J

jinxjj

So it's 2 days later and seeing some more changes. The seedling with the most yellow is now curling it's jagged leaves down. More pics attached. Does it look like they around going to die on me or just going to take a bit for them to shake out of whatever they are doing?

Also, i tested my water pH last night and its a little on the high side around 7. Having a hard time really putting a figure on it since the colors are so damn close on the test chart. I played around a little with some pH lowering stuff and just a single drop lowered my pH a significant amount. I need to get a empty 2L bottle today and do some tests to figure out how many drops i need to add to get around 6.5 pH.

20141130 092239
20141130 092246
20141130 092201
20141130 092153
Last edited:
J

jinxjj

These ones were planted straight into my good soil and appear to be doing the best out of all of them. Accidentally dropped 2 seeds into one of the cups lol.

20141130 092307
3G Labs

3G Labs

could be over watered. let the soil dry up Are you "feeding" them? seedlings only need water, nutes can kill them. what's their air/soil temp?

J

jinxjj

Not giving them anything aside from tap water. I did soak the soil in the cups before i transplanted so that might be why, but i have holes drilled all in the bottom so they can drain any excess water. When i transplanted them the jiffy pucks were dry and roots were starting to poke out the side of some of them. They are inside a 6'x3'x7' tent right now and temp is being kept around 80*F with a small heater on a temp controller. Soil temp is right around air temp, 76*. I have a large heat mat i can place them on if soil temp is too low.

When i started these seeds out they were on a heat mat and i kept the soil at 80*F and the air temp was around 75-77*F under CFL.

Last night i switched the light to 18/6 and will keep it that way thru veg unless you think that's a bad idea.

Last edited:
J

jinxjj

pH pics attached, think i need to start lowering it for my future waterings...

20141130 1109371
20141130 1109481
20141130 1110031
20141130 1111251
PH Scale
J

jinxjj

Lost another one, looks like the stem got all stretchy and it fell over. I have been told this is most likely over-watering?

20141201 101102
J

jinxjj

I did some research on "Ogre" which i was told this bag seed was, and it appears that does descend from Skunk #1, i am also curious why you ask that now too! :)

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I grew Skunk #1 for 20 years or so outside. In the SSSC catalog from 1989 or 1990 the description of Skunk #1 says that some plants will have lime tipped leaves that can look like (but are not) a nitrogen deficiency. I always got a few lime tipped seedlings and they would turn out to be the best ones.
I didn't know about cloning back them. I wish I had because some of them were better than many elites I have today.

I would make some seeds. Sometimes the cross seedlings would look like the one in this thread. They are not as yellow as the original Skunk #1 seedlings with the trait but you could tell Skunk #1 is in the mix.
That catalog can be found on a few sites and you can see the original description of Skunk #1 from Neville himself.

J

jinxjj

Thats insane man, i really hope these will be some kick ass plants. The one that turned yellow like that was also my best one at the time. The bad these came from was some incredible smoke and the nugs were huge so hoping this is a blessing is disguise. :)

Top Bottom