Advanced Nutrients vs. General Hydroponics

• Thread starter sm0tp0k3r
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

treehugger

I am allergic to the hard-sell, so i stick with old reliable General Hydroponics. Any good grower will tell you that it's not the nutes...

Last edited by a moderator:
S

scottiegbuds

I honestly believe the grower is the #1 main factor when it comes to producing quality medication. Although I do believe that certain base nutes are better at maximizing your plants total potential. I personally hated advanced nutrients for first 9 months of my growing experiments. Advanced was overpriced diluted non-sense in my mind. Then after I smoked some of the best medicine in West Michigan about 2 months ago I got to become quite good friends with the grower of this killer. He then took me into his op and introduced into everything he uses. I couldn't believe what I saw, Sensi Bloom A&B with humboldt honey hydro, bud ignitor and snowstorm ultra/gravity combo.
So that week I went out and bought Sensi bloom, I am about 4 days from harvesting my first plant with AN. This is the best grow I have done yet, I have increased my yield a ton... My smell has enhanced, and they are much much milkier than ever. Truth is look at any Advanced bottle, they are all 100% Money Back Guarantee. You get what you pay for...
hope this helps

B

Bluenote

ive been using GH for awhile now but been kind of looking into using advanced... it costs more.. but the yeild is suppose to be more.. can anyone confirm this...?

Don't drink the Kool Aid , lotsa heavy metal content. Real heavy price , even heavier fibs at times.

I

ir0nLung

i have done very well with both sensi and gh flora in dwc. advanced needs more cal mag added, but might edge out gh slightly. i prefer canna over either. soon to be trying out jacks...great thread on here where guys are buying powder nutes for a fraction of the price of hydro store nutes and doing just as well or better. long as fuck but read every page and the thread is pure gold

S

stonedinthe902

after many years of seeing people try different things, and if you are a rookie grower (less than a year or two's experience with hydro) then i'd gladly recommend advanced's sensi grow and sensi bloom, with no additives (you don't need cal/mag or anything else with this base! - don't spread misinformation).

they make a ph-perfect/ppm-perfect formula which you can use with any tap water (assuming it is chloramine free, and ph falls between 4.5-8.5, which most water does). simply fill the rez with tap water (if you live in a city, i'd recommend letting the water sit out to disspiate any chlroine), add the nutrients, and hook it back up, no need to meter/adjust the ph,ppm, ec etc etc.

i understand people's distrust of advanced nutrient's marketing machine, and they really do push them hard (which i don't care for either), furthermore the price is a bitch! (tend to cost a little bit more than competitors, but worse, the products are diluted and won't last as long). that being said, they're product is the shit, especially the ph-ppm perfect, and you will save money/time with not having to use R/O water or adjust ph (and without any cal/mag or any other supplements).

yeah, advanced is more expensive, but honestly you'd have to buy some GH base products, plus a few supplements (and better water, and ph down, and a meter) and to get the same results, so it starts to balance out. plus advanced is owned by Canadians who are down with our cause, and i'd gladly pay a bit more to them and the Canadian economy, then to say a few bucks on GH and have my money goto some multinational corporate company with no support in the mary-jane industry.

do whatever you want, but if ya got $60 try out the sensi grow and sensi bloom ph-perfect and tell me if the ease of use and surreal results aren't worth it.

I

ibTheMan

GH is pretty much unbeatable, only base thats real good besides GH is AN Connie(not the new stuff, the original stuff they still sell)

Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper

i agree that Advanced Works well right off the bat if you follow instructions well and have no experience, but if you have experience with Gh, you can tweak 4 GH products that are 75% less expensive than AN's 10 Bottles, with the same results....also Environment, is just as much of a factor as Nutrients in my opinion.... and lets not even get into genetics... i'd say Nutes(root zone) = 33.3% Environment(light,temp,RH)=33.3% and Genetics= 33.3% IS the potential of a crops yield.....

I

ir0nLung

"(you don't need cal/mag or anything else with this base! - don't spread misinformation)."

i have grown with just sensi ab several times and done very, did better when i added cal mag during bloom. i also saw noticeably better results during veg when i started adding b-52. its not "misinformation" if its true. i almost always do a run of base only when i first try a fertilizer and the best results i got were using canna.

S

stonedinthe902

were you using RO water? The ph/ppm perfect stuff is ideal with tap water and I've never ever seen a cal/mag shortage this way.

I've seen lots of people do comparison grows with the various bases and have seen different winners, but most of the time AN wins the comparisons.. Google searches show similar results with most others tests

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Every test I have ever seen between AN and GH....AN blows GH away on not only yield but quality. Someone said it's all in the grower and I have to disagree. I think it comes down to a LOT of different factors. Environment, Genetics, Nutrients, and attention to detail.

Personally I switched from AN to Heavy 16. It's local to me and I seem to be getting great results with it.

I

ir0nLung

were you using RO water? The ph/ppm perfect stuff is ideal with tap water and I've never ever seen a cal/mag shortage this way.

I've seen lots of people do comparison grows with the various bases and have seen different winners, but most of the time AN wins the comparisons.. Google searches show similar results with most others tests

i have regular sensi ab as far as i know. i have asked the shop about the "ph perfect" line but have never seen it, i thought it was a myth. i ran gh and AN side by side a few times in a row, same strains, same lighting, stand alone dwc and using just the bases AN gave me what i believe was a slight increase in quality (lighter green, better trichome coverage) and while the AN plants stretched more, weight difference was negligible (# per 600 either way). this was with well water starting ec of .18, no cal mag. using AN with city tap water i saw deficiencies that were corrected with cal mag especially during early flower. i have since began doing side by sides with AN and canna aqua. so far im liking the canna. no matter what happens though when the AN runs out i'm buying jacks, cal nite,and epsom and running it against the canna till its gone.

S

stonedinthe902

well apparently the 'ph perfect' stuff is an improved formula, but who knows what that actually means and whether it counts for any discrepencies. the water here does tend to be a bit on the hard side as well, which may counteract any deficincies that might've been noticed elsewhere.

as for the original point of this post, what is better GH or AN, and i don't think either line is BEST all the time, they both fill different voids in the same market - and which one is best really depends on the grower and the situation. if you don't mind buying a few extra bottles (which will last longer anyway), and are good at tinkering with your formulas, then i have no doubt that GH (or any other brand) could be used just as well in the hands of the right grower....

but if you're a surrogate grower (someone with a bunch of plants in a location that isn't your residence), and you only get a span of an a couple hours a week to maintain everything, than being able to use direct tap water and not dick around with ph/ppm is ideal.

also if you are a new grower, who is still feeling out hydroponics, and you haven't already spent a money on ph-adjusters and a ph meter (and/or ppm meter), then i'd highly recommend the PH-perfect a&b, simply because it's still cheaper than buying a comparable competitors product and the meters/adjusters, and for someone new this will let them feel out hydro without the downside of playing PH god (which too many rookie growers do, they neglect PH, or they over-compensate checking it all the time, driving themselves and their plants crazy).

furthermore, sometimes there are people who are experiences growers, and they simply buy the AN stuff for the ease of use with a complete base, and no formula tinkering.

however, if you are doing a perpetual grow, are used to the plants you are growing (and the style of growing you are doing)... in other words you are 'dialed in', and can perform the same results with GH (or any other brand) for cheaper, than you'd be stupid not to.

but again, these products, at least in mind, fill in different gaps in growing situations. there is scenarios where i'd prefer to the ph/ppm perfect AN stuff to anything else, and there are other scenarios where i'd rather tinker with my formulas and save money using another product.

i think it's kind've like using an Apple PC vs a Windows PC, with advanced nutrients being Apple and GH being Windows. apple has more marketing, does work really well and is especially great for new-comers, there is little things you can do to fuck up an apple computer, but they are expensive. Windows is a bit more generalized, you can do just as much stuff on a windows computer, but there is a bit more troubleshooting, especially for rookie users.

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

First the question should be asked as to what makes AN better? Plants need NPK and other micro nutes ect. right? what's the difference in how the plant acquires them. now strain, lighting, co2 or proper ventilation should be most peoples concerns. If your getting your plants the right nutes then thats whats truly important. If your after an organic thing than you go that way, if your running hydro tables you go a different way, coco another. the point is, if you know how to grow than you now how to grow. You can tell what your plants and different strains need. GH is good that way cause you can tweek it a bit. comfort is key so use what you know.

I

ibTheMan

Every test I have ever seen between AN and GH....AN blows GH away on not only yield but quality. Someone said it's all in the grower and I have to disagree. I think it comes down to a LOT of different factors. Environment, Genetics, Nutrients, and attention to detail.

Personally I switched from AN to Heavy 16. It's local to me and I seem to be getting great results with it.

Well, BS. i do run Connie in flowern and AN addes, but i also run GH in Veg and it cant be beatn. need proof? just look at all my grow logs.

I bought some of AN's new PPM-PH perfect line Connie and Sensi and that new shit is Total TRASH, fn TRASH, GH blows um away.

Regular classic Connie is the best, AN addes are real good, but you cant be Dis'n GH cause as a Base with some AN addes it better then 95% of the other out there.(given the grower knows kinda what he's do n)
Even Jungle Juice isnt really exactly the same.

Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper

i think it's kind've like using an Apple PC vs a Windows PC, with advanced nutrients being Apple and GH being Windows. apple has more marketing, does work really well and is especially great for new-comers, there is little things you can do to fuck up an apple computer, but they are expensive. Windows is a bit more generalized, you can do just as much stuff on a windows computer, but there is a bit more troubleshooting, especially for rookie users.

good analogy! i totally agree...

used both, now I'm back to GH, funny thing is that was the firs nute i used!! :rock

Ganjafarmer562

Ganjafarmer562

GH all the way

General Hydro is way better for sure. Advanced Nutes continue to be pulled off the shelf by the ag dept for not having what is on their label in the bottle. They just spend a shit ton on advertising and say they do a bunch of research. Advanced used to be pretty decent, and they still have a couple good products, but too risky with all the shit getting pulled lately.

T

Thatgirl

I LOVE the AN! However its the only line I have used. I will soon be in a position where I can do side by side tests between AN and other brands.

justsomeguy

justsomeguy

my last run was gh flushed with AN final phase. incredible. I discovered powdery mildew the day of the flush and had to harvest only 4 days later. smoked some dry off the branch 3 days later and it was the smoothest bubba i've ever grown. I'm not itchin to try the rest of AN, but i will always flush on final phase. it actually makes it taste exactly like it smells.

Top Bottom