Age old question... burn or lockout??

• Thread starter N.commisso8
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N.commisso8

N.commisso8

Hey all, I'm new to the site, this is my first post so take it easy on me...

I'm a novice grower, with only one decent run under my belt. Currently have an outdoor run going in Western MA where average temps the last month have been 80-90 daytime and 60-70 night.

Two problem plants in FFOF, 2.5 gallon hard pots. Topdressed with worm castings. Supplemented with General Hydroponics Flora Nova @ 5 ml/gal every third feeding since start of flower, Rhizoflora Terpinator @ 10ml/gal every feeding since flower, Botanicare CalMag @ 1.5 ml/ gal every other feeding since problems started (week 1 of flower) (currently in week 4). Generally giving 3-4qta of water per feeding to small pots and 5-6 quarts of water to big pots per feeding. Pots are dry to an inch down just about daily so feedings have followed suit. Watering with 24hr dechlorinated tap water always ph'd to 6.2ish with or without nutes.

Pic #1 and #2 are from Buddha Berry Pie.

Pic #3 and #4 are from Head Banger.

I'm trying to avoid flushing, as that opens the can of worms as to what to reintroduce to get nute levels back up to snuff. The Head Banger is ahead in flowering time but Chlorosis is worsening. The Buddha Berry Pie is a bit further behind and has been steadily sad since flowering began. (I have been removing 3-10 Necrotic leaves per fay for the last 3 weeks.)

So I believe that is all the info I can muster. If anyone has some insight for me as to what I'm dealing with I'd be greatly appreciative!! Thanks in advance.

Age old question burn or lockout
Age old question burn or lockout 2
Age old question burn or lockout 3
Age old question burn or lockout 4
mancorn

mancorn

Looks to me like your pots are too small, which makes it really hard to control.

Do a “pour through” test () and check your pH & EC to see what’s going on. (You’ll need a TDS meter if you don’t have one. Can pick up a cheap one for $20.)

Your EC (or PPM) should be in this range
0D536ABC A002 4A63 83B6 2EAD610C1E61

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I read it, first observation looks like calcium deficiency or lockout

don't water when it's only dry an inch down let the whole thing dry out its called a wet/dry cycle you can search it on this website

I found Fox Farm ocean Forest wants it's pH to be 6.5 for best results

and your giving it all three parts of the flora nova right?

Plus when you say you're trying to avoid flushing does that mean you never water to run off?

N.commisso8

N.commisso8

Looks to me like your pots are too small, which makes it really hard to control.

Do a “pour through” test () and check your pH & EC to see what’s going on. (You’ll need a TDS meter if you don’t have one. Can pick up a cheap one for $20.)

Your EC (or PPM) should be in this range
View attachment 1022901
Thanks for the reply! You're absolutely correct the pots are too small. These were inherited already in these pots, and I suppose I didn't realize they would grow this big in these pots. I have several others in 5 gal smart pots on the same feeding schedule and all seem very healthy to my untrained eye. I'll get right on the pour through. This is something I just started reading about today (runoff PH/EC). I've only ever tested ph after mixing nutes prior to watering.

N.commisso8

N.commisso8

I read it, first observation looks like calcium deficiency or lockout

don't water when it's only dry an inch down let the whole thing dry out its called a wet/dry cycle you can search it on this website

I found Fox Farm ocean Forest wants it's pH to be 6.5 for best results

and your giving it all three parts of the flora nova right?

Plus when you say you're trying to avoid flushing does that mean you never water to run off?
Hey, thanks for the input. I have certainly not been allowing the pots to fully dry out, I notice the plants get quite saggy/droopy before the pots have a chance to dry out, so they remain fairly moist consistently.

I'm totally comfortable upping the PH on my water, it comes off tap at 7.4ish so I can make that adjustment easily.

Regarding the FloraNova, I've only introduced the Bloom, as I acquired these plants just a couple weeks before they began flowering. Just followed the advice of my local hydro store clerk on that one...

Finally, what I meant by avoiding flushing is I am trying to avoid having to do a full nute flush as I'm worried I don't have the competence to return all of the correct levels of notes moving forward. That being said, no, I have not been watering till runoff at all. My understanding was that watering till runoff washes nutes out of the soil which is not desirable.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Certainly calcium and magnesium deficiencies. That wont go away now though even after correcting the issue, it will just stop it from progressing.

N.commisso8

N.commisso8

Certainly calcium and magnesium deficiencies. That wont go away now though even after correcting the issue, it will just stop it from progressing.
Thanks! I was 99% positive of the cal/mag deficiency on the BBP (spotty, gangly one)

You think the Head Banger is also cal/mag for sure?

I understand anything that has been damaged can't be reversed, I guess the next question is is the potash (potassium) in the Terpinator causing the cal/mag lockout? I've read that excess potassium can cause calcium lockout... would it make sense to remove to Terpinator or reduce it?

Moshmen

Moshmen

Hey, thanks for the input. I have certainly not been allowing the pots to fully dry out, I notice the plants get quite saggy/droopy before the pots have a chance to dry out, so they remain fairly moist consistently.

I'm totally comfortable upping the PH on my water, it comes off tap at 7.4ish so I can make that adjustment easily.

Regarding the FloraNova, I've only introduced the Bloom, as I acquired these plants just a couple weeks before they began flowering. Just followed the advice of my local hydro store clerk on that one...

Finally, what I meant by avoiding flushing is I am trying to avoid having to do a full nute flush as I'm worried I don't have the competence to return all of the correct levels of notes moving forward. That being said, no, I have not been watering till runoff at all. My understanding was that watering till runoff washes nutes out of the soil which is not desirable.
Watering till 10-20% runoff washes excess salts/ nite build up in the medium some growers successful water without run off but I don’t lrast 10% run off every time fir me

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Thanks! I was 99% positive of the cal/mag deficiency on the BBP (spotty, gangly one)

You think the Head Banger is also cal/mag for sure?

I understand anything that has been damaged can't be reversed, I guess the next question is is the potash (potassium) in the Terpinator causing the cal/mag lockout? I've read that excess potassium can cause calcium lockout... would it make sense to remove to Terpinator or reduce it?
You want a balance, I'd be aiming for about 60-70ppm Calcium and 200-250ppm Potassium total.
And you could reduce the terpinator a bit and supplement a bit more calcium and magnesium if your numbers are low.

Here is a link to a handy nutrient calculator to see what your ppm numbers are for each nutrient. Scroll way down, it's at the bottom of the page.

N.commisso8

N.commisso8

Watering till 10-20% runoff washes excess salts/ nite build up in the medium some growers successful water without run off but I don’t lrast 10% run off every time fir me
Understood, I'll check into this further as well.

N.commisso8

N.commisso8

You want a balance, I'd be aiming for about 60-70ppm Calcium and 200-250ppm Potassium total.
And you could reduce the terpinator a bit and supplement a bit more calcium and magnesium if your numbers are low.

Here is a link to a handy nutrient calculator to see what your ppm numbers are for each nutrient. Scroll way down, it's at the bottom of the page.

Solid, I'm understanding more that nute manufacturer recommendations do not take into account what other nutes are being introduced and the impact they have on each other. Thanks for this.

Top Bottom