Another germination ?? Need help asap...

• Thread starter JH420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JH420

JH420

I soaked 5 seeds (elite's bubba kush x ultimate chem) for 24 hours then yesterday morning I put the seeds into jiffy pucks and under t5's...I already have 3 that have broken soil, weird thing all 3 of those have a significant root coming out the jiffy puck already...does this mean I should transplant to bigger pots already? I'm worried the effects the light will have on the roots, one is coming out the side of the jiffy puck. Really weird since none of these are even showing any leaves yet just breaking soil at the moment.

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds like a health bean to me.. Usually wait until the roots are about an inch outside the jiffy minimum before transplanting. I think you got some winners there!!

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
I would , seems like your tap root wants to dig deep fast . I might be wrong though .

JH420

JH420

Fabman, why wait til they're an inch? No offense but I'm off to plant them...I have to leave the crib for several hours soon and these may well be that long by then...one or two are already 1/2 an inch I think.

As a newb I am curious what this vigourus early root growth indicates? It would seem like a positive to me...but I have no idea what it really means.

This sounds like a killer cross to me.

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
What that root does is shoots straight down to the bottom of you soil and kind of acts like a anchor .

JH420

JH420

Interesting stuff...never seen them roots sprout that quick.

P

Potorlando

As soon as you see roots you can transplant. Root sometimes emerges even before Cotleyons, but you want the tap root to grow down as far and as large as possible. Letting it get to an inch or more you run the risk of letting it dry out. Plus all the tiny hairs get squashed if you replant later. If you have strong taproot, you're gonna have a nice plant, replant!!

H

highroller

Premium Member
Supporter
Years back, in his grow books, Ed Rosenthal claimed one could influence the sexual outcome of a seedling somewhat...by giving the taproot ample room to grow down without interference by the bottom of the pot, one could expect a higher ratio of female plants. My guess is that line of reasoning is an extension of the thought that, the more favorable the environment is for the plant, the higher ratio of females one can expect. When grown in a harsh environment, a group of plants will show more males to ensure propagation of the species, as one female can make hundreds if not thousands of seeds, but only if there is ample pollen to ensure pollination.
In any case, yeah JH, go ahead and plant them IMO. Best of luck with the grow. :smiley_joint:

JH420

JH420

Thanks for the replies...how sensitive is the tap root to light? My primary reasoning for transplanting was to protect the root from light, one was coming out the side of the jiffy puck...the other two out the bottom but they'd probably be long enough to be exposed to light in no time.

hubcap

hubcap

What that root does is shoots straight down to the bottom of you soil and kind of acts like a anchor .

....and in dryer enviorns, it seeks out the 'ground water table' by instinct.....by growing down longer....

as far as light hitting roots....
sure, its not preferred, but, if roots are exposed to light only a couple of days, while young, doesnt do much harm at all. heck..we use clear cups to germ/start.
...light penetrates those.....
no harm done. just dont over do it and let the roots dry out and/or get 'bark-like' or stiff. direct, strong light is a no-no, but, under fluros, they'll be fine, imo.

i, too, like to transplant as soon as roots start to leave the bottom of the lil square trays....simply beacuse im a clutz and i dont wanna damage roots in the transfer......
really ez to rip/shred new root growth.....

make any sense? i smoked black domina and im a wee bit foggy.....
-hubcap-

Top Bottom