Aqua Mans method to cure root rot (live systems only)

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deforced

Deforced

So, here is my feedback. First, filters are great for growing colonies. They put structure right where the water is flowing, allowing the bacteria to hang on to something and stay right there.

The bad thing about filters is that they trap organic matter. This concentration in one spot, if there is a lot of decaying things in the system can actually overwhelm the bacteria in that spot. Again - my opinion only - but it's better to have those organics spread more evenly throughout, giving the bacteria lots of room to make colonies and convert the organics into ammonia, then nitrite, then nitrate.

Think of it this way - drop 50 mL of ammonia into the res. It's then spread through the whole system and bacteria on every surface takes a bite. IF there is a lot, those bacteria will grow exponentially to eat as fast as they can. This happens everywhere in the system.

If you put all that in one spot (your filter) the colony has less coverage, less area to reproduce, less everything.

The only reason I see to put a filter in a RDWC system is to protect the pump(s). I've never had a pump break because of detritus in the res personally.

It's just one more thing to maintain too.

All that said, it will be fine if you want to leave them on. Especially if you don't really have much organic waste in the system. But then what do you need them for?
This is the answer ive been looking for, awesome response! All it does it adds more time to maintaining the res, I've had them block up so much before the flow is reduced enormously throughout the system. So thankyou for your response.

Deforced

Deforced

thats why they need cleaned… bacteria will grow on everything… pumps, tubing walls etc… filters are a means to remove the organic matter. Sponge filters actually act like a hone for bacteria… all biomedia will have a large surface area for that reason.

but a mechanical filters primary job is to catch particulate… organic or not. Thats why i say in terms of biological aid they wont help or hurt. But they will allow the removal of particulate
Thankyou!

Deforced

Deforced

Hey dude, filled res up with 250litre added 65ml southern ag, now is it okay to use the res water to run a litre over my rockwool cubes in the netpots? They are 4inch cubes in the netpots no pebbles. Thanks

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey dude, filled res up with 250litre added 65ml southern ag, now is it okay to use the res water to run a litre over my rockwool cubes in the netpots? They are 4inch cubes in the netpots no pebbles. Thanks
Yup thats exactly what you want to do. While treating mix up a gal of double dose. rinse roots for 3 days with temp adjusted tap water. Pour over from the top. After that minimum use rea water once a week to do the same

Deforced

Deforced

Yup thats exactly what you want to do. While treating mix up a gal of double dose. rinse roots for 3 days with temp adjusted tap water. Pour over from the top. After that minimum use rea water once a week to do the same
Cheers. You see how you mention about that southern ag is 1ml-20gal of water? Is that right? I added 65ml to 250litre, or is that what I drop back to after 65ml to 250litre? Thanks

Deforced

Deforced

Cheers. You see how you mention about that southern ag is 1ml-20gal of water? Is that right? I added 65ml to 250litre, or is that what I drop back to after 65ml to 250litre? Thanks
I bought a 8oz bottle so not a great deal in it, I was thinking of going to orca after as its easier to get ahold of.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I bought a 8oz bottle so not a great deal in it, I was thinking of going to orca after as its easier to get ahold of.
If your in the US go with defgaurd… in Canada orca is prob the best bet for hydro tyoe grows.

SAG is 1ml per gal. So 250/3.785= 66gall

and thats where i messed u…. you are correct it ahould be 1ml oer 20 gal so 12 to 13ml for your system…. Im sorry for my mistake man. It should be ok but if you see any issues id do a water change. Again sorry for the mistake

Deforced

Deforced

If your in the US go with defgaurd… in Canada orca is prob the best bet for hydro tyoe grows.

SAG is 1ml per gal. So 250/3.785= 66gall

and thats where i messed u…. you are correct it ahould be 1ml oer 20 gal so 12 to 13ml for your system…. Im sorry for my mistake man. It should be ok but if you see any issues id do a water change. Again sorry for the mistake
Cheers dude, I'll just let the system run. I don't see no issues at the moment but I'll drop back to 13ml after. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom