Basics: Planting a proper sprout.

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I sprout in napkins, Use a pinch of azomite, ph around 6.5 and very mild mix of rapid start solution ie. (ammonium molydbate, ammonium nitrate solution). They help create the conditions for increased root hairs,(early on) which are critical for early growth spurts. Also, don't wrap too tight, you still want a bit of air to create rapid root growth, without becoming dry, too fast. There is a equilibrium to be maintained. Dark area, cool is obviously better.

About oxygen to the root zone. This is why I use only napkins, cardboard cups, then eventually either throwaway "tree" planters, or Aeration Fabric type containers. I have used them ALL, and cloth is far superior to anything, and it's light, doesn't take up much use when not needed, and reusable. It's the perfect solution, to a very important issue.

I can not stress enough, how important starting out with good sprouts has improved my game plan. Getting a good start means virtually everything.

Basics planting a proper sprout
Basics planting a proper sprout 2
Cabi

Cabi

I sprout in napkins, Use a pinch of azomite, ph around 6.5 and very mild mix of rapid start solution ie. (ammonium molydbate, ammonium nitrate solution). They help create the conditions for increased root hairs,(early on) which are critical for early growth spurts. Also, don't wrap too tight, you still want a bit of air to create rapid root growth, without becoming dry, too fast. There is a equilibrium to be maintained. Dark area, cool is obviously better.

About oxygen to the root zone. This is why I use only napkins, cardboard cups, then eventually either throwaway "tree" planters, or Aeration Fabric type containers. I have used them ALL, and cloth is far superior to anything, and it's light, doesn't take up much use when not needed, and reusable. It's the perfect solution, to a very important issue.

I can not stress enough, how important starting out with good sprouts has improved my game plan. Getting a good start means virtually everything.
Wow. That’s awesome. So you use regular cheap napkins. Do you use them because the throwaway napkins don’t cling to the root?? Don’t quite know azomite and his rapid start just better than the others? I noticed the price is certainly higher. Thanks again mate. Haven’t seen a taproot that long before come out of a seed🧐

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Wow. That’s awesome. So you use regular cheap napkins. Do you use them because the throwaway napkins don’t cling to the root?? Don’t quite know azomite and his rapid start just better than the others? I noticed the price is certainly higher. Thanks again mate. Haven’t seen a taproot that long before come out of a seed🧐

Yea, any cheap napkins will do, even toilet paper. the cheaper the better, as "bounty" or whatnot is going to be stronger, and that can present a problem. Single layer stuff is better, but if you peel away the double layers (sometimes the sprout goes between) you simply need to use great care picking it apart, or leave parts of the napkin intact, as it doesn't matter if it get's buried with the roots.

Yes, the azomite is probably the biggest factor in the root starts, it works wonders. The rapid start helps a lot also, but be careful with it. You can't overdo the azomite, as it won't harm if too much is used.

I've done hundreds, maybe thousands of starts this way...

Cabi

Cabi

Yea, any cheap napkins will do, even toilet paper. the cheaper the better, as "bounty" or whatnot is going to be stronger, and that can present a problem. Single layer stuff is better, but if you peel away the double layers (sometimes the sprout goes between) you simply need to use great care picking it apart, or leave parts of the napkin intact, as it doesn't matter if it get's buried with the roots.

Yes, the azomite is probably the biggest factor in the root starts, it works wonders. The rapid start helps a lot also, but be careful with it. You can't overdo the azomite, as it won't harm if too much is used.

I’m adding it to the list. Thanks so much for your input. Means a lot🤟

dire wolf

dire wolf

Damp coffee filter is great for sprouting seeds , damp filter , not soaked , place seeds in between , put in ziplock , place on top of plate , and put in a warm dark place , 2 days , viola , sprouted seeds ready for your solo cups .....
Plans sprout in cup half full of medium of your choice , when the seedling stretches you will fill the remaining half of cup with medium to reduce stem length and support your stretching seedling .....
Do it ....
Cabi
Now ...

Dr.B

Dr.B

Do you have a preference as to the type/form of azomite you use? UltraFine, Micronized, Field Grade, Pelletized, or Granulated?

Cabi

Cabi

Damp coffee filter is great for sprouting seeds , damp filter , not soaked , place seeds in between , put in ziplock , place on top of plate , and put in a warm dark place , 2 days , viola , sprouted seeds ready for your solo cups .....
Plans sprout in cup half full of medium of your choice , when the seedling stretches you will fill the remaining half of cup with medium to reduce stem length and support your stretching seedling .....
Do it ....
Cabi
Now ...
I love that it’s so smart

Cabi

Cabi

Do you have a preference as to the type/form of azomite you use? UltraFine, Micronized, Field Grade, Pelletized, or Granulated?
Hey. Do you know what I’ve never used it. So guide me. Wouldn’t even know how much to use

Dr.B

Dr.B

Hey. Do you know what I’ve never used it. So guide me. Wouldn’t even know how much to use
I know, I'm hoping Frankster can answer lol. I'm looking at micronized for coating seeds. Can only find the 2kg bucket... About $80 or more after shipping canadian funds. I'm going to do some research before deciding this is necessary. I'm not exactly having much for trouble with the coffee filter and water approach... 2 days, every time.

Cabi

Cabi

I know, I'm hoping Frankster can answer lol. I'm looking at micronized for coating seeds. Can only find the 2kg bucket... About $80 or more after shipping canadian funds. I'm going to do some research before deciding this is necessary. I'm not exactly having much for trouble with the coffee filter and water approach... 2 days, every time.
Don’t ask me to choose Dr. B. I care about all of you 🤟

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter

If your trying to coat things, your gonna want the powdered stuff.. Granular or the likes are ment for long term slow release. Powder can be had for like 40-50$ for a 50lb Bag... Less $ for less pounds obviously. Check amazon or ebay for cheap bulk rates on a cpl pounds if you only need a lil. I use it in my garden/s love it, also feed my worms with it helps boost sexual production ;)

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Ultra-fine powder Water Flowable ( 200 mesh) excellent for coating seeds or irrigation for maximum germination and initial growth. Good amendment for crops, compost and potting soil. (OMRI Listed)

If using with irrigation, this product must be agitated during irrigation

I got 13Lbs on ebay for approx $25

But if you do room size grows, I would suggest going bigger. You can get the 44lb bags for about $50

I put about 1 cup in each sq meter of soil (that's just me), and it's fantastic. On the napkins, I use it full strength, (single pinch) for sprouts.

This stuff is simply amazing, I'll never go without it anymore.

Last edited:
Dr.B

Dr.B

Ultra-fine powder Water Flowable ( 200 mesh) excellent for coating seeds or irrigation for maximum germination and initial growth. Good amendment for crops, compost and potting soil. (OMRI Listed)

If using with irrigation, this product must be agitated during irrigation

I got 13Lbs on ebay for approx $25

But if you do room size grows, I would suggest going bigger. You can get the 44lb bags for about $50

I put about 1 cup in each sq meter of soil (that's just me), and it's fantastic. On the napkins, I use it full strength, (single pinch) for sprouts.

This stuff is simply amazing, I'll never go without it anymore.
Thanks

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I love that it’s so smart

This looks like an even better method, I will try it. What type of medium do you use? Coffee? (LOL, I compost my coffee grounds, actually, lot's of it, since we have espresso machine).

But I suppose anything will work, a pinch of azomite, and bam, no worries about sprouts going between (or though) the napkin.

You never have any issues with seedlings going through the coffee filter?

Top Bottom