Dolomite Lime: Did I buy the right stuff?

• Thread starter Gurtgurt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Hey Mysticep. - With all due respect that isn’t true about ideal ratios, definitely not my experience over the past decades. Cannabis in general likes the opposite ratio of calcium and magnesium in flower that Dolomite lime has!
Around 3:1 calcium:magnesium is more optimum for cannabis. This is why big soil companies like FoxFarm add Dolomite and Oyster shell.
Maybe not Cannabis in particular, but plants in general.

FATAL

FATAL

FFOF is perfectly fine soil without amending. They already did the homework for you.

Messing with something that already works is going to be nothing but headaches for you.
Ffof is complete and total trash. It's right next to the 4 dollar quart bag of yard sand for a reason.
Hello fellows,

I just went to home depot in search of "dolomite lime." FYI I am very new to gardening if you couldn't tell.

The only one they had that wasn't in pellets was "Pennington fast acting lime, plus AST." On the back it does say "derived from dolomitic lime." So, is this the right stuff?

I am adding this to Fox Farm Ocean Forest. It says it's more powerful than regular lime -- can someone tell me the right ratio to add?

Thank you!!
You cut off the only part of the label that would have answered the question.

What the fuck are people on these days? 3 pages of nonsense. This website is full of crazy people.

I even Google the label and someone else posted a blurry ass picture asking the internet to read that to them.. The internet makes me feel like I'm on ketamine.

If it's something like 10% mag 20% Cal it's dolomite. If it's 5% or less magnesium it's Calcite.

FATAL

FATAL

pennlimelabel.jpg

It's middle of the road according to this.

Considering my last soil used equal amounts of 5/30 (Calcite) and 10/20 (dolomite), I'll be replacing my dolomite with a bag of Pennington since I can't find Calcite locally.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

FATAL, yes that looks like the same bag that I have. I know my first picture was rushed, but I wanted to show what you have underlined: "derived from dolomitic lime."

It's little matter now that it's added to the soil. I did a slurry test the other day and it was about 6.6-ish.

PXL 20210823 025239884
Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Of course I bought the stuff at home depot after spending out the ass for everything else. Articles say: "you can get the right stuff online but it's really cheap at a home improvement store."

TheItalianKind

TheItalianKind

So happy I don’t drink anymore when it comes to people that talk out the ass and both sides of the mouth on the net🤣

Post some more pics when yooz get a chance please. Your ladies will be great.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Here are the plants start of week 5 from sprout. Transplanted to limestone-inoculated soil about 9 days ago. Strain is LSD.

Pardon the pictures, the plants aren't very "neat" at the moment. I've been looking for ways to tie down branches for LST, currently using solid core wire but it keeps pulling out of the dirt. I'm trying my hand at mainlining.

One plant is more vigorous and showed no ill signs; the other one has always been lagging and shows spots on the oldest leaves. It doesn't seem to be worsening (not very fast anyway).

The spots look like Ca deficiency to my untrained eye -- but this lime crap should have added Ca... At least no spots or anything on new growth.

PXL 20210823 202807411
PXL 20210823 202824187
PXL 20210823 202831961
PXL 20210823 202837199
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Right on gurtgurt! Remember, pots Off the floor so you get circulation underneath and watch your watering. Off to the races! Unless mainlining calls for a different strategy. Keep us posted.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Hello Cornhole champions, the plants are now in about week 12 since sprout and week 1 of flower. The yellowing and drying old growth, and yellow new leaf tips, have been a chronic problem.

I water when the leaves droop which has only been about once a week consistently. Each time I water a plant gets 1.5 gal, in 5 gal pot (soil). pH I estimate at 6.1 - 6.4 (varies).

A user suggested epsom salt and miracle gro fertilizer for acid loving plant. I only used them once at low concentration.

I use the fox farm trio for nutrients. To one gallon of water I add:
Big Bloom worm castings almost 3 tsp always,
Grow big veg fertilizer, 1 tsp tapering off,
Tiger blüm flowing fertilizer, 1/2 tsp first time last watering (tapering up).
Incredible, right? Sometimes I'll throw some Epson (R) salt crystals in there, but I'm a-scared to go overboard.

I suspect I have calcium or magnesium psychosis from the lime I added early on.

Any suggestions on hOw2FiX? I am authorized to distribute up to $500 in my own personal scrip to the best suggestion. Thank you.

PXL 20211016 163316891
PXL 20211016 220101417
PXL 20211016 220137579
PXL 20211016 220210250
PXL 20211016 220229172
PXL 20211016 220253776
PXL 20211016 220339194
Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

I forgot to mention: the strain is LSD. Looking at other grow journals I don't think they're meant to have purple stems or petioles. I thought maybe it was light, but then I noticed the stem in that last picture.

I defoliated like 2 days ago. How did I do? I never know. Thank you.

growsince79

growsince79

Hello Cornhole champions, the plants are now in about week 12 since sprout and week 1 of flower. The yellowing and drying old growth, and yellow new leaf tips, have been a chronic problem.

I water when the leaves droop which has only been about once a week consistently. Each time I water a plant gets 1.5 gal, in 5 gal pot (soil). pH I estimate at 6.1 - 6.4 (varies).

A user suggested epsom salt and miracle gro fertilizer for acid loving plant. I only used them once at low concentration.

I use the fox farm trio for nutrients. To one gallon of water I add:
Big Bloom worm castings almost 3 tsp always,
Grow big veg fertilizer, 1 tsp tapering off,
Tiger blüm flowing fertilizer, 1/2 tsp first time last watering (tapering up).
Incredible, right? Sometimes I'll throw some Epson (R) salt crystals in there, but I'm a-scared to go overboard.

I suspect I have calcium or magnesium psychosis from the lime I added early on.

Any suggestions on hOw2FiX? I am authorized to distribute up to $500 in my own personal scrip to the best suggestion. Thank you.
Quit using big bloom. Feed 1tsp grow big + 1tsp tiger bloom and get ready for lift off. You're welcome. Send the $500 to toys for tots.

Top Bottom