First Time Growing!

• Thread starter MichaelB0329
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MichaelB0329

MichaelB0329

This is my first time growing. White lightning, still waiting to find out if it's a male or female. Please leave any tips or tricks for me to use- suggestions too!

Setup:
  • x2 23w Sylvania CFL's (adding more as plant develops)
  • Acurite Indoor Thermometer
  • Mainstays 5-inch Desk Fan
  • Pot - Not too sure about the size of the pot
  • What I'm growing In - About 3/4 of Black Kow Cow Manure & 1/4 of ProMix Organic Garden Mix

2/24/20 - Began Germination
2/27/20 - Planted (18/6 Cycle)

3/16 - 3/17 - I noticed bugs buzzing around the plant, did some research, and I believe they were Fungus Gnats, which will lay eggs everywhere and are prone when over-watering. I was also informed wood chips are pretty bad to have and slow drainage and take up root space.

Note: at about 10 seconds, watch the bug near the paperclip moving up and before he flies away, he lays an egg I think. Pretty cool, but I still don't want them!

To try solving this, I went ahead upgraded to the big black pot with the new growing materials (listed above) and the plant has been outside since then and I've cleaned up the closet and let all the gnats go away.

If anybody can tell yet, do you think this is a male or female plant? I know how to tell sort of but I think it may be a little too early to tell.
First time growing
First time growing 2
First time growing 3

MichaelB0329

MichaelB0329

addition: One of the leaves' sides were turned up in a canoe-like shape and many are drooping. Hoping its just because the gnat issue!

Madbud

Madbud

Do you know anyone who grew in Black Kow? I tried it last year and still have a full bag. Just one plant but it never amounted to much. The pH was like 5.5 and there was wood in it. Sadly i would guess this is a big problem for your plant. Fungus gnats, use bti, mosquito dunks i’ve heard. I used yellow sticky traps for flyers and stirred the top of the soil to keep it dry. If it gets any worse i would transplant to anything else, even mg for a first grow.
Edit: that was the other thing, the Black Kow never drys out. Curling is overwatered.

MichaelB0329

MichaelB0329

Do you know anyone who grew in Black Kow? I tried it last year and still have a full bag. Just one plant but it never amounted to much. The pH was like 5.5 and there was wood in it. Sadly i would guess this is a big problem for your plant. Fungus gnats, use bti, mosquito dunks i’ve heard. I used yellow sticky traps for flyers and stirred the top of the soil to keep it dry. If it gets any worse i would transplant to anything else, even mg for a first grow.
Edit: that was the other thing, the Black Kow never drys out. Curling is overwatered.
So is it doomed to be overwatered if I keep it in what its in now? Or are there some precautions I can take using this combo that will make sure I dont drown her

Madbud

Madbud

So is it doomed to be overwatered if I keep it in what its in now? Or are there some precautions I can take using this combo that will make sure I dont drown her
It was so heavy and dense, i would really transplant to something else. The pH is too acidic. You can use it as a fertilizer but even there its only 0.5 for npk. I’ve seen grow logs here using real composted cow manure but not black kow.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

get your soil/grow medium corrected, it'll solve both gnats and watering issues. adjust or change the soil mix. you can save these plants, repot/transplant into new grow medium.

there's a post here somewhere regarding solution to rid those gnats - organic biological mosquito control?

i had recent experience with gnats early in my grow, I haven't seen any gnats for months now - knock on wood!!!! my case was unsuitable soil mix, too damp, thus harbouring gnats and also overwatering issues. i totally changed my soil mix to another product, and no issue since - though i have now mentioned the war.

too early to tell if M or F. some might mistaken as it is, that its a tomato plant. if its auto-variety it will show its pre-sex soon enough. you'll figure out if its M or F or hermi, when you see or don't see 'balls'.

MichaelB0329

MichaelB0329

get your soil/grow medium corrected, it'll solve both gnats and watering issues. adjust or change the soil mix. you can save these plants, repot/transplant into new grow medium.

there's a post here somewhere regarding solution to rid those gnats - organic biological mosquito control?

i had recent experience with gnats early in my grow, I haven't seen any gnats for months now - knock on wood!!!! my case was unsuitable soil mix, too damp, thus harbouring gnats and also overwatering issues. i totally changed my soil mix to another product, and no issue since - though i have now mentioned the war.

too early to tell if M or F. some might mistaken as it is, that its a tomato plant. if its auto-variety it will show its pre-sex soon enough. you'll figure out if its M or F or hermi, when you see or don't see 'balls'.
You think you could help me out a little? Do you know of anything I could do to get a decent soil? I wanted to use the Promix gardening mix w/ normal soil but I can't seem to find normal, no additive, potting soil. just mixes

edit: This is what PROMIX Im using

^Would that be good to mix with just normal soil and I'd be set?

I've heard great stuff about people using FoxFarm and creating their own using perlite, peat moss, etc. Any good combinations I should try once I get this job and have a way bigger budget?

Last edited:
MichaelB0329

MichaelB0329

Update:

3/18/20 - It's 75-80 and rather sunny so I'm leaving her outside until it's time for her to get some darkness.

Her leaves are drooping severely and I'm hoping it's just because of the fungus gnat invasion, the sudden repotting, and change of the growing medium. Hopefully she perks back up soon.

Edit: I've heard cow manure doesn't really 'dry' so should I cut back on watering for a bit and just water when I know for a fact its dry?

IMG 5881
IMG 5882
IMG 5883
IMG 5884
Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

I have to let others here offer you suggestions regarding Promix (or FF mixes), as I can't get either product.

my understanding - promix. is a soiless peat based sub. ocean forest is an amended not quite soiless sub. i imagine you will have to add compost or nutes for this soilless medium promix.

i see you added manure to the Promix, maybe some perlite in that mix.

again, i rely on others here regarding your Promix....

as for your plant's condition - as previous post stated, just water well, and let it recover, it's take some days.... don't worry, i had my plants in much worst state than yours, at the beginning of my current grow, and managed to salvage. it may add to the duration of your grow, but that's lessons learned.

MichaelB0329

MichaelB0329

I have to let others here offer you suggestions regarding Promix (or FF mixes), as I can't get either product.

my understanding - promix. is a soiless peat based sub. ocean forest is an amended not quite soiless sub. i imagine you will have to add compost or nutes for this soilless medium promix.

i see you added manure to the Promix, maybe some perlite in that mix.

again, i rely on others here regarding your Promix....

as for your plant's condition - as previous post stated, just water well, and let it recover, it's take some days.... don't worry, i had my plants in much worst state than yours, at the beginning of my current grow, and managed to salvage. it may add to the duration of your grow, but that's lessons learned.

Thanks! Definitely gonna mix in a little perlite.

3/20 - She’s already perking up, and even looking a little better than last time!

0F081B06 9C46 4BC2 9CD2 7F9F0E8DB239
Top Bottom