For Educational Purposes. . .Germinating to Flower

• Thread starter GooberfrupstateNY
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GooberfrupstateNY

GooberfrupstateNY

I saw a similar thread some time ago here and because [it] happened to me, I figured I'd follow through and follow up with those interested. Pictured here are two Blueberry Autos that recently began flowering. When I initially got them going, I used the overnight in spring water, then paper towel/plastic bag process of germinating for several days (ordinarily, 2 days). This time, I forgot to remove them from the bag, leaving them inside the bag for an extra 1 & 1/2 - 2 days before attempting to remove them and put them in soil. Both seeds had long "tap" roots already forming - well over an inch if I recall. While removing them, I broke one of the roots, due to it sticking to the paper towel, leaving about 1/2 - 2/3 of the root. I figured to give it a go, what do I have to lose, right? Both plants took to soil like everything's hanky dory, but the broken one stayed smaller, has fewer flowers, and is well behind in development. . .though it appears as if I'm going to get a nice supplement to my already nicely forming flowers on the other one. In the image posted, the plants are about 2 months and 3 days post-germination; they're otherwise healthy buggers. One lesson I think I'm taking from this is, while the soak/paper-towel/bag method is great, be careful when removing! Next time if I encounter the same problem, I'm just gonna cut around the paper towel and just place it all together in the soil and see if that works any better.

For educational purposes  germinating to flower
GooberfrupstateNY

GooberfrupstateNY

Also, I should probably add: both plants are in 3 gallon fabric pots; have been on "Foxgrow" plant food and have been watered 5 days originally, but now down to once every 4 days. Another lesson: grow tent is 24x24x48. . .do 1 plant at a time in a 5 gallon instead. Hey, what can I say, I'm still learning, lol.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Try a moist coffee filter for germination. The root does not stick to them. But be careful they can roll right off.

GooberfrupstateNY

GooberfrupstateNY

Try a moist coffee filter for germination. The root does not stick to them. But be careful they can roll right off.
Great advice my friend! So I imagine I just wet it, fold it over (depending on if it's a cone or a basket), place the seed (make sure it doesn't roll out), and wollah?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Great advice my friend! So I imagine I just wet it, fold it over (depending on if it's a cone or a basket), place the seed (make sure it doesn't roll out), and wollah?

yeah. Can dry out faster than paper towel so keep an eye on it. I drip water with a dropper as needed.

also I keep in open plastic sandwich bag in a dark container on a heat mat with controller at 78 degrees farenheight average.

Many use 2 plates with the baggie inside and leave on cable box or other warm appliance.

Top Bottom