Getting the yellowing/de-chlorophyll before harvest

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Andy

Andy

Hi all,

I've been growing for a long time, but am in a process of major shift towards attempting to increase the quality of my flower. I'm using coco & am going to start doing proper flushes (1 week e.c. 1.0, final week just water). I've alwaysonly done just a few days of flush and the plants are always bright green up to the end.

From what I'm discovering (correct me if I'm wrong), one of the effects of a long flush is that the leaves get yellower, other colours come out and the chlorophyll in the leaf gets significantly depleted which makes the cure and the process of the eventual complete breakdown of the chlorophyll taste much more effective.

Am I on track here - does that sound right?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Not in my opinion. Feeding as close to the plants needs as possible. Keeping them healthy to the end with medium green leaves at harvest but tapering off nute ppm during ripening has given me the best yield and quality. I have tested fading and feeding side by side many times.

There is an article from a comercial grow test that proved flushing was not preferred around here posted somewhere.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have to agree with @MIMedGrower. Flushing out the plants removes nutrients from the soil, but doesn't really remove them from the plant, or at least the buds... the other leaves are sacrificed to provide the buds energy. There is a general correlation between a lot of chlorophyll and a funky taste, but that is usually from a cure that doesn't remove or break down any chlorophyll. I prefer to let the chlorophyll break down slowly as the plant slowly dries out. Too fast of a dry doesn't degrade it and can cause a harsh taste. Most of the differences in taste and color depend on the drying process and curing if desired. The plants certainly contribute to the potency and flavor, but the drying and curing is where the more complex tastes and colors develop.

Andy

Andy

Great advice, thanks. Just out of interest, what about using flawless finish for a week or so? Advanced nutrients say doing this means you don’t lose weight - perhaps that’s just the usual marketing crap..

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Great advice, thanks. What about using flawless finish for a week or so? Advanced nutrients say doing this means you don’t lose weight - perhaps that’s just the usual marketing crap..

Marketing crap. Im sure it helps remove nutrients from the medium as salts attract salts but a light nute mix will do the same.

A long time ago a pretty big black market grower said they pump the plants with nutrients for yield then “flush” out the excess so it doesnt taste as bad.

They were more concerned with yield. Pounds were 4k for any decent looking bud back then.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
If you have been doing this long enough, you will see the same ol' wolf in slightly different sheep's clothing. When you harvest, about the only thing you lose is water, as far as weight goes. There isn't much that you can do to keep the weight unless the idea is that the buds are so massive, it makes up for the water loss. In any case, 99% is marketing.
There is a lot to be said about the old Italian guys who grow small home gardens. They usually have a certain strain of tomatoes that they grow and the vast majority of their efforts go into the soil prep.... I haven't ever seen an old guy dosing his plants daily, or checking Ph, humidity, or relying on potions and supplements... a properly prepared soil is really all they need. Indoors, you don't have the same luxury as a good, living and thriving soil... it's possible but difficult to actually pull off the way it should go. These guys have been doing this forever and keep nutrients to low levels compared to what folks pour into their plants today.

Top Bottom