Greetins y'all!!

• Thread starter Luckymax
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Luckymax

Luckymax

Very excited to be here. 3rd time growing. I'm in NE GA. I have unlimited access to safe, aged horse manure that's been composted with veggies from an organic farm. Please, give me all of your advice. <3

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
welcome to farm,
lots of help here and friendly people!.,

Luckymax

Luckymax

My advice is don't use it.
Would it make a difference if I was the one collecting and mixing all of it? We use zero chemicals out here, for what it's worth. Our local university has several extension offices to get it tested. I'm trying to get as close to my desired medium via natural applications and native soil.

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

Very excited to be here. 3rd time growing. I'm in NE GA. I have unlimited access to safe, aged horse manure that's been composted with veggies from an organic farm. Please, give me all of your advice. <3
are you using in containers...or in the ground?

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

Ground ideally, but I'm going to run some some pots for variables

Some thoughts......

To create life, You need death &Death has all the building blocks to create life.

- check the manure for toxins. You dont want to create toxic plants.
those horses got shots of all kinds of things..polluted rain...gmo grass...got bitten by all kinds of insects ,human water full of all kinds of shit etc.
Then you got parasites, insects, etc.
you have to know what your doing otherwise you will end up contaminating the land

Luckymax

Luckymax

We are on well water, we don't use graze-on on our fields. I'm not sure polluted rain is not too much of a concern out here. As far as meds go, we use bute on lame horses and a monthly sedative for one horse who is being sold soon. Other than that it's pretty straight forward. Fortunately it's a smaller style operation for breeding.we don't cater.to boarders anymore, so that's a few less variables. I plan on just using water and compost teas.

Ponky

Ponky

You have to decompose the manure under straw for a winter. And it will be hot with nitrogen and phosphorus. It can be used of course. But you're still mixing in soil. So it's just easier to use a soil with wormcastings. But if you're so inclined mixing hot composted manure with food scrap manure should work. But most people don't use manure.

Luckymax

Luckymax

You have to decompose the manure under straw for a winter. And it will be hot with nitrogen and phosphorus. It can be used of course. But you're still mixing in soil. So it's just easier to use a soil with wormcastings. But if you're so inclined mixing hot composted manure with food scrap manure should work. But most people don't use manure.
My one pile is 4 years old and I have 3 windrows 6ft high by 6ft wide by 100ft.long that have been sitting for 3 years with vegetables mixed in. We age the manure with everything culled from the vegetable fields of our organic farm. It's pretty nice stuff. It even gets tilled back into the fields and the farm is usda certified. We try to take care of everything in a sustainable and organic way. I have a tractor so I can turn and move the pile as needed.

Ponky

Ponky

My one pile is 4 years old and I have 3 windrows 6ft high by 6ft wide by 100ft.long that have been sitting for 3 years with vegetables mixed in. We age the manure with everything culled from the vegetable fields of our organic farm. It's pretty nice stuff. It even gets tilled back into the fields and the farm is usda certified. We try to take care of everything in a sustainable and organic way. I have a tractor so I can turn and move the pile as needed.
Then yeah. You should be able to grow with it. Without any issues. Just have to water it and see what it does. Then experiment with amendments and mixtures. Like perlite or sphagnum and such.

Top Bottom