HELP leaves turning black.

• Thread starter Sleepy350
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sleepy350

Sleepy350

Hi I’m new to growing. I have plants in ground with roughly 25 gals of roots organic formula 707 peat/coco coir. I recently found leaves with brown edges got concerned it could be nutrient burn so I tried flushing the plants for 2 waterings with About 2.5 gallons of water from my well tank that comes out at around 7.0 ph. The plants looked better and I didn’t notice any new brown spots. After a little bit of research I started to think That it could be nutrient lockout as I haven’t been PH testing my nutrient water mix. I watered again yesterday evening with my mix PH adjusted to 6.2, cropped the inside/lower sections of the plants quite a bit, and sprayed with lost coast plant therapy for pest control. This afternoon I found leaves on 1 of the plants curling up and turning black. All the other ones look okay. Any idea as to what is causing this?

First signs of browning
Help leaves turning black

Help leaves turning black 2
Help leaves turning black 3

New black/edges to leaves.
Help leaves turning black 4
Help leaves turning black 5

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Any signs
Of pests? I think there is a couple
Issues going on. Let me do some research. @Beachwalker whatcha think? Pests?

After a more careful look. I see some thrips and signs of thrip damage. Continue to pH your water and see if the plants get better. But I’d check for pests as well.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Any signs
Of pests? I think there is a couple
Issues going on. Let me do some research. @Beachwalker whatcha think? Pests?
Don't know yet, I was looking at this one earlier, was going to see what information came out before I chimed in

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Yes I agree it looks heavily mite infested, but I'm also trying to see if there could be a fungus or possibly a bacteria issue, but if so it's probably also caused by the mites

Edit: I'm certainly no expert but through my own experience I found that you can't say it's also or this or that as long as there's an underlying infestation of bugs, particularly mites. You can't successfully treat anything until you treat the mites imho

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Yes I agree it looks heavily mite infested, but I'm also trying to see if there could be a fungus or possibly a bacteria issue, but if so it's probably also caused by the mites
I agree. Mite damage looks a lot like other deficiencies. I’d get a loupe or magnifying glass and check under the highly damaged leaves. OP When I had my infestation it went unnoticed until the issue got bad. I looked under 100x microscope and discovered it. Had to completely dispose of one plant and then took care of the infestation.

Sleepy350

Sleepy350

I have seen some white flies, some small white bugs in the soil that I suspected to be soil mites, and some small Black bugs with white dots that I’m not sure of. Here’s a video, you see large chunks missing from the leaves but I have not seen that since I stared spraying for pest control

@BurnzYzBudZz The white spots on the leaves in the pic look like small lacerations or holes

F86EFEA3 8DBB 4C96 9DD3 4008F47A55BD
4766EF6C AD28 4F66 92F9 F80D3C785BC7

I’ve been trying to control the pests with Lost Coast Plant Therapy and just started with Central Coast Green Cleaner, I plan to rotate the two.

I really appreciate the help @BurnzYzBudZz and @Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

That's Heavy Mite damage, can see Twisted New Growth too
Screenshot 20200711 110958 Chrome

I'd hit it hard with a hose particularly underneath the leaves, from the bottom to the top and then from the top back down frequently to knock off as many as possible

I don't know about those two products but I would go as strong as possible. I haven't fought mites in decades so I can't help you past this, good luck

Sleepy350

Sleepy350

View attachment 998441

I'd hit it hard with a hose particularly underneath the leaves, from the bottom to the top and then from the top back down frequently to knock off as many as possible

I don't know about those two products but I would go as strong as possible. I haven't fought mites in decades so I can't help you past this, good luck

Roger that I’ll do everything in my power to get the pest under control to start and see how they are doing from there. Thanks again guys.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
View attachment 998441

Oh yeah.. good call

Top Bottom