HPS 1000w vs MAGNUS MW-700

• Thread starter nemgrower202
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nemgrower202

nemgrower202

I'm looking into starting a 10 light grow up in June. I have been groowing in the past using 1000w hps lights but recently some professional growers told e to go with the
magnus mw-700 led lights instead. They claim it gives 30% more bud.
I was wondering if anyone has tried both and what is your opinion on this subject. So far from all my research i am leaning towards the magnus led lights because at the end they are more econnomical despite the high startup cost but i am unsure about the 30% more bud claim.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
30% more? Ehh run co2 if that’s what your looking for. After reviewing there web site there sales ploy is aimed at marijuana growers ide take the professionals advise with a grain of salt:)

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I'm a HID fan myself, but LEDs have come a long way lately. The 30% claim is pretty steep, but that is one of the selling points...if you don't get 30% more, then it muxt be the grower's fault, right? Like the pretty labels on expensive nutes, they are just designed to entice you to use their product. I'm not saying LEDs aren't great as they have come a long way and can be tailored to specific light needs, but they are slightly different in their light distribution. It's hard to compare the two light types due to their costs and physical characteristics. You can't compare wattages, since there is no standard for them and a lot of LED suppliers are using "Light Equivalent" measurements...saying it has the light output of a 1000 watt system but drawing only 250 watts. This is misleading since efficiencies and manufacturers vary a lot between the lights being sold. Your best bet for getting the best info is what you did...post on the site asking for specific questions. Don't forget to search for older posts that might have already discussed this.
Truthfully, it is not unusual to have 2 identical grow setups but seeing a 30% difference between the two, simply because of the grower's experience. I think a 10-15% difference between LED and HID yield is possible, but the grower's experience with the different lighting is probably more important, at least initially. LEDs WILL save you electricity and eliminate some heat issues, but from what I can tell, they need to be tweaked for best results.

nemgrower202

nemgrower202

Im very very skeptical about this product as well. The guy using them has a big medical marijuana growing facility and he swears by them. 30% more yield, 60% less heat.
Honestly i dont believe neither of those claims all I care about is if they are almost as good as HPS 1000w setups because at the end the LED lights are cheaper then the hps over a long period of time.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Im very very skeptical about this product as well. The guy using them has a big medical marijuana growing facility and he swears by them. 30% more yield, 60% less heat.
Honestly i dont believe neither of those claims all I care about is if they are almost as good as HPS 1000w setups because at the end the LED lights are cheaper then the hps over a long period of time.
I wouldn't dispute the heat claims, since any HID produces a lot of heat. For the same amount of electricity, I would agree that you get a better return per actual wattage used, since LEDs are more efficient. I would NOT agree that you will see a 30% increase in yield with the same luminosity... the devil is in the wording and details. If LED lights are 50% more efficient per actual wall watt, then the same amount of electricity will increase your yield by 50%. Not because the lights are better for growing, but because they produce more light per watt than a MH/HPS setup. It's not an apples to apples comparison, although it sounds like it is.

nemgrower202

nemgrower202

I wouldn't dispute the heat claims, since any HID produces a lot of heat. For the same amount of electricity, I would agree that you get a better return per actual wattage used, since LEDs are more efficient. I would NOT agree that you will see a 30% increase in yield with the same luminosity... the devil is in the wording and details. If LED lights are 50% more efficient per actual wall watt, then the same amount of electricity will increase your yield by 50%. Not because the lights are better for growing, but because they produce more light per watt than a MH/HPS setup. It's not an apples to apples comparison, although it sounds like it is.
Then that is perfect, i am actually interested in less heat, more durability and less consumption. The yield part is a long stretch and all these growers are known to brag.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Im very very skeptical about this product as well. The guy using them has a big medical marijuana growing facility and he swears by them.

Then take it with a grain of salt. We had dudes coming like once a month trying to get us to switch to whatever system they were pushing on a trial basis. Good reviews like that = free or cheap lights.

I look at it this way. When talking about 1k and the different companies usually you talk about failure rate of the ballast and the warranty. The company doesnt really matter. You arent going to argue that you are getting a 30% increase in yield with gavis vs nanos. 1k's are 1k's. Kind of like the whole bulb thing. Paying twice as much for a hortilux to get like 10% in yield.

This is the problem with all the people trying to grab the market in LED's. I understand the different types and the argument. Kind of like SE vs DE in 1k's. But when you start getting into spectrum and brand it kind of goes off the rails. I think why most of the people that end up doing good with LED's build their own and shy away from any of these companies and their claims. There has just been too much bullshit over the years to take these people serious.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Then that is perfect, i am actually interested in less heat, more durability and less consumption. The yield part is a long stretch and all these growers are known to brag.
Like @cemchris mentioned, don't fall for some of the BS claims that LED manufacturers use. You can buy 50 watt (actual wattage) COB LEDs for less that $4 if you have any mechanical or constructive abilities. Some that I have looked at take a straight 110V input...no drivers or complicated circuitry. These are great for the DIY guys and will save you a ton of money. If you are just starting out, you might be better to buy one of the cheap LED light setups, perfect your growing techniques, then switch to something better later on. By then you will have enough experience with the lights and plants to make the best use of a premium light setup... as well as learn which setups are good for the dollar, and which ones are mostly hype. The most important thing, I think, is to make sure it is strong enough to allow you to grow to your full ability. Some of the cheaper lights seem bright, but aren't quite bright enough for optimum results.

nemgrower202

nemgrower202

Well after ding the math and comparing energy consumption and life span the LEDs light make a lot more sense if you are going to be growing for a while.
The only thing that remains to be seen is the yields that a LED can produce. If the LED light gives the same result as the HPS then it is the way to go,

Latest posts

Top Bottom