Is dehumidifier water demineralized enough for humidifiers.

• Thread starter PipeCarver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I've gone through enough humidifiers to know they don't work long before getting all munged up with mineral deposits and green mold with parts that are impossible to clean. So distilled water is the ticket to a clean running system. The water I collect from my dehumidifier is clean and clear with a 6.6 ph. Without me destroying another humidifier testing this water I'm wondering if anyone else has been there done that...Is it any good for my purpose to use dehu water in a humidifier without munging it up.

Madmax

Madmax

Good question ..id b interested to know aswell..im thinking about trying CLR mold & mildew clear...have you tried anything like that bro..

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Good question ..id b interested to know aswell..im thinking about trying CLR mold & mildew clear...have you tried anything like that bro..
no I bought a still to make distilled water but there are some issues with cooling it I have to deal with.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes as long as the unit is kept clean... you may want to treat with h2o2 to be safe. And RO unit is good enough you don't need distilled.

With RO and a DI my ppm is about 1-2 with new filters and I change em once I get to about 30ppm. Make sure you flush the carbon before first use as per directions.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Yes as long as the unit is kept clean... you may want to treat with h2o2 to be safe. And RO unit is good enough you don't need distilled.

With RO and a DI my ppm is about 1-2 with new filters and I change em once I get to about 30ppm. Make sure you flush the carbon before first use as per directions.
Que? filters? I tested my bucket of drippings from the dehu and in the dirty bucket I got 6 ppm and 6.6ph. I should have thought about this before I bought the still. I have a medical need for distilled water but I only go through a gallon a month and its cheap to buy at Wally world $0.99 gal but locally they're now charging $2.50 a gal. I said fkem I'll get a distiller seeing as I should use it on my humidifiers which go through a gallon a day or So Amazon I go
But it didn't come with a pump to circulate cold water around the coils. So Now I need a pump and doing this is not a quick job..getting enough water distilled to last will take days of distilling..more fkin work to do lol it never ends

airedog

airedog

Supporter
RO filters; reverse osmosis units are relatively inexpensive and if plumbed into household supply, are easy to use with nothing to heat or cool. Aqua Man further uses a de-ionizer to drop his ppm to 1 or 2, making it a contender for a water distiller replacement.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

RO filters; reverse osmosis units are relatively inexpensive and if plumbed into household supply, are easy to use with nothing to heat or cool. Aqua Man further uses a de-ionizer to drop his ppm to 1 or 2, making it a contender for a water distiller replacement.
Yeah have made RODI water at like 1ppm for my dad's cpap in a pinch when he visits. After making I sterilize it in jars in my pressure cooker.

RODI is plenty good for a humidifier... like no issues at all

farroutman2003

farroutman2003

Just picked up an RO unit myself for my humidifier and watering purposes. My unsoftened Tap is horrible, and don't really want to put the Softened Tap thru the plants or the
humidifier. I notice the white staining when cooking all the time. Boiling water for pasta or anything else leaves bad white rings around the water line. Also noticed it when using Air stones in a 5 gal bucket for teas. Unfortunately... the RO unit came today, all busted up, so waiting on the redo from Amazon, hopefully Tuesday.
Summertime i could probably pull out enough water from the Dehumidifier, but winters in MN get pretty dry.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Just picked up an RO unit myself for my humidifier and watering purposes. My unsoftened Tap is horrible, and don't really want to put the Softened Tap thru the plants or the
humidifier. I notice the white staining when cooking all the time. Boiling water for pasta or anything else leaves bad white rings around the water line. Also noticed it when using Air stones in a 5 gal bucket for teas. Unfortunately... the RO unit came today, all busted up, so waiting on the redo from Amazon, hopefully Tuesday.
Summertime i could probably pull out enough water from the Dehumidifier, but winters in MN get pretty dry.
I've reverted to RO water for my humidifiers. I saved about 30 gallons of water that dripped from my dehu. it had 8 ppm but I was still getting green algae after a couple of weeks. I found a source for bottled RO water @ $2.00 / 5 gallons with 0 ppm So I bought 3 water jugs & 15gal should last me 2 weeks at a time @ $6 a refill.

Top Bottom