Is this nutrient burn?

• Thread starter DiverDown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
818LEGEND

818LEGEND

More brown stuff and a white flour like substance. I opened it up and there are WORMS in there. They are tunneling into the stalk!!!!!!
The white stuff is either eggs or worm shit. If I cut the bud before it gets into the stalk, that's just one bud loss. BUT if it gets down into the stalk it have to cut the whole stalk!!, In one pic you can see it got farther down the stalk.View attachment 896900View attachment 896901View attachment 896902
as someone mentioned previously these are tobacco budworms and cabbage moths. They lay tiny round white eggs underneath the leaves. You have about two to three days before they hatch. These worms have been eating your plant for well over a week. As someone else mentioned you need to use spinosad or bt monterey spray weekly until harvest.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Wow is that main cola infested!??? The dark spots, they are shaded or infested.???? That's one cola that would make me cry if I lost it. I am going to get the bkt tomorrow. How much do you use. Someone else said he uses 1 tsp of 15% per qt. I think Madbud.
Yup, all the brown is moth larva damage. I've removed most of it. What's left is still attached. Killer smoke so I'm not complaining too loudly.

DiverDown

DiverDown

as someone mentioned previously these are tobacco budworms and cabbage moths. They lay tiny round white eggs underneath the leaves. You have about two to three days before they hatch. These worms have been eating your plant for well over a week. As someone else mentioned you need to use spinosad or bt monterey spray weekly until harvest.
I just bough it and have sprayed. Unbelievable how fast they attack!!! I check them 2-3 times a day. I think I get them all and there they are again. Sometimes I catch the worms before they get in the stem. Sometimes I spray water into the hole and they come out. But not getting rid of them. thanks for the advise. The spray is on....

818LEGEND

818LEGEND

I just bough it and have sprayed. Unbelievable how fast they attack!!! I check them 2-3 times a day. I think I get them all and there they are again. Sometimes I catch the worms before they get in the stem. Sometimes I spray water into the hole and they come out. But not getting rid of them. thanks for the advise. The spray is on....

dont feel bad i just had to deal with a nasty infestation recently myself. They crawl inside the buds near the stems in the day time to hide and they come out at night to eat and move around. They are very hard to catch at first when are they very small but the easiest indication for me is the little black or brown specs they leave behind. Find the buds with specs and there will usually be one very close by. The accumulation of feces and eating of the plant tissue is what rots and molds the buds eventually. Spray them down with that spray at sundown every three days or so and you should be good to go.

DiverDown

DiverDown

dont feel bad i just had to deal with a nasty infestation recently myself. They crawl inside the buds near the stems in the day time to hide and they come out at night to eat and move around. They are very hard to catch at first when are they very small but the easiest indication for me is the little black or brown specs they leave behind. Find the buds with specs and there will usually be one very close by. The accumulation of feces and eating of the plant tissue is what rots and molds the buds eventually. Spray them down with that spray at sundown every three days or so and you should be good to go.
Okay, but why at sunset?? I sprayed at noon. And followed the instructions for the dose. I notice the specks too, that brings my eye to the critter. So destructive, if you don't get them before they bore inside the stem. The stem bulges, so you know they got in. But I have gotten some out. The instructions say every 5 days right up to the day before harvest.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Spraying at sundown or even at night gives you aa better chance of the Caterpillar coming in contact with the spray when it comes out at night. BTK isnt as effective once it dries.

DiverDown

DiverDown

Spraying at sundown or even at night gives you aa better chance of the Caterpillar coming in contact with the spray when it comes out at night. BTK isnt as effective once it dries.
Shucks, well why don't they say that on the instructions? Crap, now I have to wait. AAARRGGGHHH. Lost a major cola today already before I sprayed. Sucker got right in under a bud, inside the middle. I have to take a deep breath as I am so upset by this. I need a cookie.

Madbud

Madbud

Shucks, well why don't they say that on the instructions? Crap, now I have to wait. AAARRGGGHHH. Lost a major cola today already before I sprayed. Sucker got right in under a bud, inside the middle. I have to take a deep breath as I am so upset by this. I need a cookie.
You’re probably ok, the half life is a couple days unless it rains. I found a medium one just starting on a bud yesterday, he was already half dead and mushy. BTK may actually attract them after they hatch or drop in from an overhang, works and rinses off, end of story.

DiverDown

DiverDown

You’re probably ok, the half life is a couple days unless it rains. I found a medium one just starting on a bud yesterday, he was already half dead and mushy. BTK may actually attract them after they hatch or drop in from an overhang, works and rinses off, end of story.
Thanks for that.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I have read all about this stuff and want to use it. But I can't find any info that tells you how long a time frame between spraying and consuming??? I don't spray vegetables if I am picking. I give 2 weeks between spraying and harvest for my veges. Do you know what the recommended time is? I was told to save all those worm infested buds, leaves and colas in a bag and start drying them...
Label states up to day of harvest for veggies. Again, I pulled off dry bud 3 days after spraying and no difference in taste.

Madbud

Madbud

Any liquid and most powders should be sprayed after sundown (lights off) or very early in the morning. Never in full light.😉
I mist the girls all summer on sunny days, even today. Just water; nutes and insecticides i wait til sundown so they dont evaporate quickly.
No science but my theory is that healthy trichs are as much a waterproof as a sunscreen for the flower. Also the mist droplets are very fine and evaporate in minutes with no damage.

DiverDown

DiverDown

I mist the girls all summer on sunny days, even today. Just water; nutes and insecticides i wait til sundown so they dont evaporate quickly.
No science but my theory is that healthy trichs are as much a waterproof as a sunscreen for the flower. Also the mist droplets are very fine and evaporate in minutes with no damage.
So far a huge accomplishment!!! Only one spot after yesterday’s spray. And the sucker did not get in, started chewing and died right there!! I am so relieved.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

A few years ago I cramped in 10 tomatos and watered 'em with a sprinkler daily in the heat. Never produced more tomatoes. Crazy. But yeah, anything but water I wait until sundown, same with transplanting.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

So far a huge accomplishment!!! Only one spot after yesterday’s spray. And the sucker did not get in, started chewing and died right there!! I am so relieved.
I know the feeling. I've been watching the months dance in the garden all morning. If I have time I'll check the leaves and see if I can find any eggs. I'll be spraying again tonight.

This stuff is magic. I haven't noticed even a slight difference in taste. Nada. Out of the pint I've used 2 teaspoons and another tonight. Should last me a year but I may purchase new next summer as I understand it lasts about a year if kept in a cool dark location.

DiverDown

DiverDown

A few years ago I cramped in 10 tomatos and watered 'em with a sprinkler daily in the heat. Never produced more tomatoes. Crazy. But yeah, anything but water I wait until sundown, same with transplanting.
That's how I treat my vegetables.... makes sense.

Top Bottom