is transplant plastic pot to fabric pot OK?!

• Thread starter metorik
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
metorik

metorik

i got diy micro grow box and i use regular seeds. so if i transplant cannabis,from half gal plastic pot to 1-2gal fabric/smart pot.still got more yields. Can i use fabric pot adventeges and get more yields with this way?

Ina

Ina

There is no problem to transplant from plastic to fabric pot.I'm not sure about more yields:)It depends on other things mostly:)To be honest i don't like fabric pots,i tried and get back to plastics......They suppose to introduce more air to the roots but you can manage that with nice soil mix or make more holes on the sides of the plastics.And the watering in fabric pots wasnt comfortable to me,i guess i haven't used to them,they were drying more on the sides,they can change their shape when you move plants which i don't like at all.....The good thing is that you can put them directly into the ground outdoors because the roots can grow thru them so you dont have to take the plants out of the pots.......Otherwise i didn't saw any advantage.But that's just my opinion.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

There is no problem to transplant from plastic to fabric pot.I'm not sure about more yields:)It depends on other things mostly:)To be honest i don't like fabric pots,i tried and get back to plastics......They suppose to introduce more air to the roots but you can manage that with nice soil mix or make more holes on the sides of the plastics.And the watering in fabric pots wasnt comfortable to me,i guess i haven't used to them,they were drying more on the sides,they can change their shape when you move plants which i don't like at all.....The good thing is that you can put them directly into the ground outdoors because the roots can grow thru them so you dont have to take the plants out of the pots.......Otherwise i didn't saw any advantage.But that's just my opinion.
I don't like them either for these same reasons

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i got diy micro grow box and i use regular seeds. so if i transplant cannabis,from half gal plastic pot to 1-2gal fabric/smart pot.still got more yields. Can i use fabric pot adventeges and get more yields with this way?
everything has its pros and cons, fabric bags are best for roots.

Terpz719

Terpz719

If you're going to be transplanting up to larger sizes look for the ones that have velcro closures. They are supposed to be easier to get the plant out of when transplanting. Also my understanding is cloth is better for plants you want to keep around for a long time, e.g. mothers. I used fabric a bit, but am all plastic now. I find them easier to clean/disinfect and I find them easier in terms of monitoring run off. FWIW, I've seen commercial grows getting monster yields in plastic. As others said everything has pros and cons.

DETtoPDX

DETtoPDX

If you're going to be transplanting up to larger sizes look for the ones that have velcro closures. They are supposed to be easier to get the plant out of when transplanting. Also my understanding is cloth is better for plants you want to keep around for a long time, e.g. mothers. I used fabric a bit, but am all plastic now. I find them easier to clean/disinfect and I find them easier in terms of monitoring run off. FWIW, I've seen commercial grows getting monster yields in plastic. As others said everything has pros and cons.

Hercules pots are the best for price but can’t be stored easily, they are heavy plastic and have air slits all along the sides. Shockingly cheap if you look them up. They also have 4 inch sloped lip around their top edge for better watering. They go up to 9.24 gallon/35L size. These are very sturdy. https://growershouse.com/hercules-gro-pro-root-master-pots

Fabric pots are my second choice, they go up to massive sizes for outdoor, and with the right timing in watering its not too difficult to transplant if you carefully Pull the bottom of the pot away from the soil. Easy to store but watering can be a pain.

I think air pots are the third best and are quite expensive. The water tends to shoot out the side holes if you don’t spray down the top soil. Easy to store and plastic Is their main advantage.

Anyone know of any other good ’air pots’?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm a huge fan of fabric pots. But you cant treat the media like it's in a plastic pot, you need to use a medium that drains really well and requires frequent fertigations like coco or rockwool cubes, and use relatively small pots. If using promix it's kind of the opposite, you should slightly oversize the pots and make sure your promix is broken up super light and fluffy with plenty of perlite. And in all situations you should feed a slightly lower ppm than plastic pots to account for the dryback attributed to evaporation.
The secondary root structure and sheer root mass you get with fabric pots is hard to beat for substrate based growing.

metorik

metorik

Whooa! Unlike websites and youtube,many people agree with u on forums.1guy said 'if pots touch eachother,roots grow next container'! And actually no one talk about bigger yields,just healthier plants!

Anyway,i still want to try fabric pots. i will start new set 3 weeks later.i am gonna flowering in 1 gal pot then transplant 3-5 gal fabric pot. No rootbound in 1gal pot,so if any problem plastic to fabric,1gal pot eliminate that(i guess,i hope)

Thanks u all guys

quirk

quirk

Now 'ya tell me. I had to give one a shot because I started my tomatoes and some flowers in my
spare air pots. I even put training grommets in the damn thing.

IMG 20200312 093340536 HDR
IMG 20200322 193632010 HDR
Top Bottom