Led Advice

• Thread starter Stag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Stag

I am currently about to start my third grow with led’s. First grow I suffered some light burn and lost smell and stickyness around week 7 of flower. I raised my lights but the bud suffered in quality though the buds were very firm. The second grow I read the plants and as soon as I saw light stress I raised the lights untill all was well. The problem is that although quality is much better the buds are very light....... I am about to install a light mover as only certain buds were affected. I am wondering if certain led diodes are the cause due to a constant focus of a specific color led. The lights I am using are 3 Advanced Platinum P-600’s any advice would be great.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
I am currently about to start my third grow with led’s. First grow I suffered some light burn and lost smell and stickyness around week 7 of flower. I raised my lights but the bud suffered in quality though the buds were very firm. The second grow I read the plants and as soon as I saw light stress I raised the lights untill all was well. The problem is that although quality is much better the buds are very light....... I am about to install a light mover as only certain buds were affected. I am wondering if certain led diodes are the cause due to a constant focus of a specific color led. The lights I am using are 3 Advanced Platinum P-600’s any advice would be great.

And your grow area dimensions? How close were the lights?

S

Stag

Thanks for the reply. I am using a 2.40x2.40 x2 mt tent but am only growing in one side. So appox 1.80x2.40 actual grow. I also scrog

S

Stag

For flower 24” and then down to 18” . I had to raise them to about 26” to stop the stress

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Too much light imo. I would use only 2 of them at the same height. From that distance the light from specific diodes should be mixing well together so there shouldn’t be burn from a single nm of light. If you’re having this problem better take one out. Pics also would be nice. Maybe its not light burn at all. Who knows.

S

Stag

According to the manufactures the core cover of each light is 1.50 x 60cm. I spaced them accordingly. To have a core coverage of 1.80x1.50 with the light mover I was going to cover the extra 60cm to make up the 2.40 available. Do you think this might work?

S

Stag

One more thing is that its not always the tallest buds that are affected. This why I wondered about the focus of the individual led’s

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
According to the manufactures the core cover of each light is 1.50 x 60cm. I spaced them accordingly. To have a core coverage of 1.80x1.50 with the light mover I was going to cover the extra 60cm to make up the 2.40 available. Do you think this might work?

Its really hard to say. Post some pics. It shouldn’t burn your plants at that height.

On the other hand specs sheet gives a very high ppfd number at 18” so that much light may be causing some stress without co2 especially.

S

Stag

The affected areas are thevtips of the buds. They start to go white. I’ve researched this and it appears to be bleached. The photo is of a bud that I had raised the lights on and stopped the bleaching. But on the first grow it was much more apparent

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
The affected areas are thevtips of the buds. They start to go white. I’ve researched this and it appears to be bleached. The photo is of a bud that I had raised the lights on and stopped the bleaching. But on the first grow it was much more apparent

Yeah than keep them at 24” that is light stress and at 18” it shows 1500+ umol output which is at the higher end of co2 supplemented grow areas.

S

Stag

The affected areas are thevtips of the buds. They start to go white. I’ve researched this and it appears to be bleached.

EAD24B25 2F64 49E2 9359 702652C3B460

Yeah than keep them at 24” that is light stress and at 18” it shows 1500+ umol output which is at the higher end of co2 supplemented grow areas.
Thanks for the info. Perhaps I will try separating them a bit more also. I used to use 3 x 600 hps but I’m having trouble dialing in the leds..... I will see how This next grow turns out... I grow for meds and quality is important not quantity.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
View attachment 846523

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I will try separating them a bit more also. I used to use 3 x 600 hps but I’m having trouble dialing in the leds..... I will see how This next grow turns out... I grow for meds and quality is important not quantity.

Well seperating will not cut it because over 1500 umol will cause problems again directly under the leds without co2. Just get them higher at 24 1100umol is like the max you want to go without co2. Over that limit the photosynthesis is not optimal and plants suffer like this. Yeah thats all light stress.

S

Stag

Well seperating will not cut it because over 1500 umol will cause problems again directly under the leds without co2. Just get them higher at 24 1100umol is like the max you want to go without co2. Over that limit the photosythesis is not optimal and plants suffer like this. Yeah thats all light stress.
Ok I’ll try that. I have very good air circulation and humidity control. I do not have a sealed setup so have not looked at co2 as I vent rapidly I felt it was a waist of time. I grow with organic in soil, clotg pots etc.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Ok I’ll try that. I have very good air circulation and humidity control. I do not have a sealed setup so have not looked at co2 as I vent rapidly I felt it was a waist of time. I grow with organic in soil, clotg pots etc.

Yeah i dont supplement co2. But the 400 ppms in the atmosphere is not enough to keep plant working optimally under those ppfd values. You either have to dim them down if possible (without changing spectrum) or hang them at 24. Which would give you a better distribution anyway.

Temps i fine imo. Thats where i keep it.

S

Stag

Thank you very much fir you assistance and time.
Will post how I get on.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Not 1500 even with co2 as it seems :) at your conditions shooting for 600 umol is like the optimal. But 1000 wouldn’t cause bleaching either, just a little more electricity used needlessly.

S

Stag

I need to get a par meter but they are so expensive. I know that its worth it in the long run but need to find the bucks.....

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I need to get a par meter but they are so expensive. I know that its worth it in the long run but need to find the bucks.....

These good companies give out detailed par charts. You can see those on their site usually. And shooting for a minimum of 600 (around the outer edges) and maximum 1000-1100 in the mids should do it. Never had burn or bleach with blurples, those are good lights :)

S

Stag

Update, So as I have more light than I can use ive decided to go with Co2 and have the equipment in the way. My question is...how often should the fans be turned on to change the air ?and how long should they run for?.. as its winter and I use led lights heat should not be to much of an issue. Hope you can give me some idea ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom