Male or Female? Or too early to tell?

• Thread starter Fitter2004
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fitter2004

Fitter2004

Week 5 from germination unknown strain. DWC under 250 watt MH. Anyone have input on sex of this plant by the first picture? Thank you in advance. Lots of great information on here!
Male or female or too early to tell
Male or female or too early to tell 2
Male or female or too early to tell 3

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Its still a tad bit early but if I were a betting man I would say male. It appears that you have your first sign of a pollen sack (balls) right where I marked with the arrow. Once again not for sure but if you see a cluster of balls start to form at this spot then it is for sure a male. Good luck...

Screen Shot 2020 11 15 at 93906 PM

Fitter2004

Fitter2004

Its still a tad bit early but if I were a betting man I would say male. It appears that you have your first sign of a pollen sack (balls) right where I marked with the arrow. Once again not for sure but if you see a cluster of balls start to form at this spot then it is for sure a male. Good luck...

View attachment 1056506
Thank you for the input brother.. I’m leaning towards it being male as well by looking at all the pictures I could find online. I’ll give it some more time though. Damn shame. I need to spend the cash and get some feminized seeds. Getting back into growing after 8 years and doing hydro this time around. Things have been going great til I noticed the reproductive growth. All part of the experience though. Nothing lost nothing gained? Starting a few more seeds tomorrow in hopes I find the one in a few weeks! Thanks again!

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Thank you for the input brother.. I’m leaning towards it being male as well by looking at all the pictures I could find online. I’ll give it some more time though. Damn shame. I need to spend the cash and get some feminized seeds. Getting back into growing after 8 years and doing hydro this time around. Things have been going great til I noticed the reproductive growth. All part of the experience though. Nothing lost nothing gained? Starting a few more seeds tomorrow in hopes I find the one in a few weeks! Thanks again!
Yeah man I feel you. Depending on your situation sometimes it just makes more sense to use feminized but they sure are pricey. I make my own seeds (which are regular sex) to help save money. I just overshoot on my seed number on purpose to hit my goal. For example if I have a tent that I'm gonna run 4 plants in then I will pop 8 or 9 seeds. Then I hand pick my 4 girls out of the whole bunch and just kill off the remaining. Sometimes I will kill females which seems like a crime when your doing it but in reality isn't a waste at all. I have to remind myself that I have unlimited seeds. I also recycle all my dirt so in the end there is nothing being lost. Might as well focus the effort on the best specimens. Why focus on trying to finish the runts of the bunch? Only the strong survive! 💪

Badchoice

Badchoice

Looks a little early, that photo was during transition for week um 6 total so might need a little bit more time to fully know.

A2740A0E 8FD5 49D4 864C 044CCE327093
Fitter2004

Fitter2004

Yeah man I feel you. Depending on your situation sometimes it just makes more sense to use feminized but they sure are pricey. I make my own seeds (which are regular sex) to help save money. I just overshoot on my seed number on purpose to hit my goal. For example if I have a tent that I'm gonna run 4 plants in then I will pop 8 or 9 seeds. Then I hand pick my 4 girls out of the whole bunch and just kill off the remaining. Sometimes I will kill females which seems like a crime when your doing it but in reality isn't a waste at all. I have to remind myself that I have unlimited seeds. I also recycle all my dirt so in the end there is nothing being lost. Might as well focus the effort on the best specimens. Why focus on trying to finish the runts of the bunch? Only the strong survive! 💪
Thanks for the advice! I’m going to start 8 seeds tomorrow and hope for the best! 👍🏼

RR1

RR1

Sorry, but I don't agree with the pricey part. I get good fem seeds for 10 bucks a pop or so. Considering all the time, effort, and energy saved, kinda seems like a bargain.
Don't you think.
RR1

Fitter2004

Fitter2004

Sorry, but I don't agree with the pricey part. I get good fem seeds for 10 bucks a pop or so. Considering all the time, effort, and energy saved, kinda seems like a bargain.
Don't you think.
RR1
Yeah I do agree it’s a lot of time and effort to find out the hard way. I’m going to pop the 8 seeds I have left and see what happens. Hoping to get a nice mother to clone from. Eventually down the road I would like to breed my own. That’s quite a ways yet though. Having fun learning the low down with hydro! Thanks for the input!

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Don't you think.
RR1
I respectively disagree but of course it is always going to depend on the growers needs. For instance if you are only wanting to run a few plants at a time or do a few cycles a year then you are absolutely correct it just makes sense to buy the feminized seeds it will save you time. If I was popping $10 seeds every time I would spend literally thousands of dollars a year and my wife would kick my ass. I would rather spend that money on a vacation shit LOL! Think about it like this... Cannabis seeds are very little and weigh virtually nothing. It takes a pile of about 70 dried cannabis seeds to equal 1 gram depending on the strain. A 10 pack of feminized seeds only weighs 1/7th of a gram yet costs on average $100. To help give perspective a gram of Cocaine can costs upwards of $100 for the full gram depending on where you live. Basically what I just said is by weight on average feminized cannabis seeds costs 7 TIMES MORE THAN COCAINE! Think about this. Thats roughly twice the price per gram of even Gold. So what I am saying is at current market prices $10 feminized seeds are worth twice their weight in gold. Think about it. You can buy a wholesale 5lb bag of industrial hemp seeds (literally TENS OF THOUSANDS of seeds) for around $50. You couldn't even buy 10 high grade individual Fem seeds for that price. Its all perspective my friend. Trust me in the future our kids will look back and say "Dam can you believe our parents were spending $10 per seeds". Simple supply and demand will correct these high prices. The costs on all marijuana products are going to start to drop as more states legalize. The high cost stigma will start to disappear.

Fitter2004

Fitter2004

For sure if I was growing a good amount feminized would be out of question. At that point I would think a grower would be breeding their own or using clones. What I have now is bag seeds from a local dispensary. Pre rolls specifically lol I know I have four strains but didn’t note which were which. Oops. I’ll pop them all and see what happens. However the plant I posted pics of is starting to show what I believe is female. Few more days will tell. I upped my MH to 400 watts now and will be starting the switch in two weeks.

Fitter2004

Fitter2004

For sure if I was growing a good amount feminized would be out of question. At that point I would think a grower would be breeding their own or using clones. What I have now is bag seeds from a local dispensary. Pre rolls specifically lol I know I have four strains but didn’t note which were which. Oops. I’ll pop them all and see what happens. However the plant I posted pics of is starting to show what I believe is female. Few more days will tell. I upped my MH to 400 watts now and will be starting the switch in two weeks.
2871ACEB D645 4AAD BC81 2882E660349C
48D8EC17 6491 4959 A956 C971149259F3
6D4531A1 44D7 4832 944C 68D21E53FABA

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Its still a bit too early to tell for sure if its herm or male or female. The confusion with sexing usually comes on the male end. If your plant is a female and starts to push white hairs it is unmistakable. Once you see the white pistol hair it will be plain as day. You will know for sure soon enough.

Fitter2004

Fitter2004

Both plants ended up being females! I’m pumped now! They took off in last week or so and I’ll be putting them in flower in a few days.

D85FEDD1 EA7A 49B2 BBB3 428F4897D33C
F24C8B20 A4EB 4D47 A6E9 0F39D7B72BE9

Latest posts

Top Bottom