My autos are producing seeds - just a few

• Thread starter AthelR
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AthelR

AthelR

Are seeds produced by autoflowering plants fertile?
We've got about 10 so far from 3 plants.

Will they grow well, if at all?

AthelR

AthelR

Now I realize I have another question! Will the plants be both male or female or will they all be female? My guess is that we may get either...
Can anyone tell me if that's right.
Thank you in advance!

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
I could be wrong but my understanding so far is that if you get seeds on an autoflower then it is because it's a hermafrodite and seed are likely to be hermafrodite as well.

AthelR

AthelR

Wow - I don't quite know what that means. Is it a good thing?

BigCube

BigCube

Now I realize I have another question! Will the plants be both male or female or will they all be female? My guess is that we may get either...
Can anyone tell me if that's right.
Thank you in advance!

They will be female. It's not true that they will be hermaphrodites. Every single cannabis plant can turn hermaphrodite, depending on genetics some will do it easier than others.

Any female cannabis plant under the right conditions will grow at least one pollen sack, it's an evolved trait so that the plant can reproduce itself.

A female plant that seeds itself lacks male chromosomes, so they will all be female.

TerpiestToker420

TerpiestToker420

They will be female. It's not true that they will be hermaphrodites. Every single cannabis plant can turn hermaphrodite, depending on genetics some will do it easier than others.

Any female cannabis plant under the right conditions will grow at least one pollen sack, it's an evolved trait so that the plant can reproduce itself.

A female plant that seeds itself lacks male chromosomes, so they will all be female.
Yeah man I found one lonely seed when chopping one of my autos tiger striped and all so I grew it out now i have a 2 month old non autoflowering mystery gal thats going on 3 months old and just flipped to flowering with my other ones showed no signs of being a hermie? Female from what I can tell

AthelR

AthelR

Yeah man I found one lonely seed when chopping one of my autos tiger striped and all so I grew it out now i have a 2 month old non autoflowering mystery gal thats going on 3 months old and just flipped to flowering with my other ones showed no signs of being a hermie? Female from what I can tell

I love being educated! Especially when the news is basically good... thanks.
What does the pollen sack look like?
And dare I ask what the right conditions are?

But I appreciate your time is precious - so if you could suggest where I might find this info I can look myself?

BigCube

BigCube

I love being educated! Especially when the news is basically good... thanks.
What does the pollen sack look like?
And dare I ask what the right conditions are?

But I appreciate your time is precious - so if you could suggest where I might find this info I can look myself?

The pollen sac looks like a little banana. Hence the nick name "nanners". They are about 5mm.

The conditions vary depending on genetics. Autos are more prone to stress factors causing hermaphrodites. I.e too much heat, too much light, too much stress.

But every plant can be forced to herm via colloidal silver. Spraying a plant with colloidal silver regularly before it goes in to flower will force a female plant to grow pollen sacs.

Another way is keep the plant flowering much longer than needed.

AthelR

AthelR

The pollen sac looks like a little banana. Hence the nick name "nanners". They are about 5mm.

The conditions vary depending on genetics. Autos are more prone to stress factors causing hermaphrodites. I.e too much heat, too much light, too much stress.

But every plant can be forced to herm via colloidal silver. Spraying a plant with colloidal silver regularly before it goes in to flower will force a female plant to grow pollen sacs.

Another way is keep the plant flowering much longer than needed.
Ah - so I think we did the last one - we waited too long I know. And perhaps the plant got too close to the lights at some point? I guess one could leave a plant, or part of a plant, for longer to see if that forces seeds. We might look into the colloidal silver...

Many thanks for the knowledge!

Top Bottom