NEEDED: Growing Tips For A Complete Newbie!!

• Thread starter HI-GRAD3
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HI-GRAD3

Hello to all. I have been interested in growing my own "herbs" for some time now. As with everything, I like to do my research and get as much information as possible before hand. I have read many articles online, forums and even watched a few vid's, for example Mr Green - I Grow Chronic. Anyway, after some thought i finally decided to start my 1st grow. I have germinated my seed sucessfully and have planted it in soil (root down.) Now here is where im starting to get confused.. Many growers on forums have been saying to put the root down in wet soil and to store somewhere dark untill the seed sprouts. I did this and waited for two days but no luck, then a friend said to place under lights and the seed will sprout. I am starting to doubt what method to use and what method works best!

Can anyone PLEASE help me as i would at least like to grow a healthy plant on my first attempt (even if i cant flower it)

I am using soil only. Seeing as it's my first attempt should i invest in nutrients etc? If so where can i get them from?

Any growth advice would be greatly appreciated as i am starting to lose hope..

Thanks in advanced

HI GRAD3 UK :)

F

Fear

Hey Hi Grade welcome to the farm. My opinion is you need light after the seeds have germinated and have been put in there medium. No light until they sprout, light after they sprout. How will they know which way to grow.

S

SkyHi

Yup they gotta sense the light and travel towards it or youll get u bunch of upside down wierdos lol

NwolkZark

NwolkZark

Well, the type of soil your using and whats in it is a good start. For seeds some nice potting soil / top soil with added perlite for drainage is great for a start. If your using some hard packed/woody/chunky dirt from outside someplace you'll have problems right off the start. If your soil is decent then the next is your germination problem. You want to germinate in the dark, but after the taproot sprouts and they go into the soil you can put them under some light. Lights on after planting the seed works the best because the seed will naturally try to go twards the light, and it controls stretching. Iv'e had seeds sprout in the dark and if left 2-3 days unchecked they'll still be alive but lanky with 4inch stems and just 2 rounded leafs at the top. Usually after germination, and a day or two has went by with no signs of life, i'll gently dig down to find the seed and checkout what its doing. Sometimes they get crazy and grow tward the bottom of the cup and need reseated a little. You may have planted too deep as well, it only needs to be an inch or so below the top of the soil, the deeper it is the longer its going to take to reach the top. After the seed goes in the soil germinated, you should give the soil a real good watering, i like to water before i put the seed in just so the soil can get situated in the container first, then a tiny bit more after the seed goes in. The one heafy watering is all it should take until they sprout, then judge watering schedule from there.
As for nutes, unless you use soil that already has them (which is bad for seedlings) you will need some, but you won't need anything until a week, maybe two after that baby gets sprouted, so you can focus on that for now. Hopefully someplace in that wall of info is a tip to help you out.

H

HI-GRAD3

Hello Fear, thanks for the welcome and the advice :)

I agree, if there is no light how is the seed gonna know which way to grow? That is what i have been telling myself while trying to work out which method i use.

Many video's & articles suggest placing the seed in the medium (in my case soil) watering the medium and then placing it in a dark, warm place.

So as an experienced grower, are you sugesting keeping it away from light until it sprouts then as soon as it sprouts introduce it to the lights?

By the way nice crops man, im jealous now lol :)

H

HI-GRAD3

Hi NwolkZark, thanks for your advice, im starting to understand why my friend advised me to keep it under the light. I understand the logic as plants grow towards light. I think i looked into the whole process a bit too much and ended up with several different growing methods. Its all getting clearer now. Im using potting soil, nothing special, just your average organic soil. I will have a little look at the seedling and see what its getting up to, if nothing seems to be happening i will introduce it to lighting asap. do you recomend i go ahead and start the 18/6 cycle or will that be too much light to give it before its sprouted?

I will be looking into the nutrients aswell, any particular brands or nutrients i should look out for?

Thanks again :)

H

HI-GRAD3

Okay, i have just had a little look into the soil and firstly i must say the seed was quite a way down. I also noticed that the root has grown about 2-3 inches, 'u-bending' where it was once a seed. There is a small greenish yellow split on the other side which i have brought up to the surface of the soil (covering it slightly). I have also noticed a small split/rip in the root where it 'u-bends', possibly from where i had uncovered it or maybe just because of the way it was growing. I do hope it will be okay as i do not have any other seeds. I will be putting my seedling under lighting from now on and hopefully all will be okay.

Anything i should avoid or make sure i do? Anything i should monitor?
In terms of this split/rip, anything to worry about?

Thanks again :)

F

Fear

If it stops growing and wilts its to late. Cross your fingers and stop molesting that infant you are gonna break her little heart.

H

HI-GRAD3

If it stops growing and wilts its to late. Cross your fingers and stop molesting that infant you are gonna break her little heart.

lol thanks again Fear :) At this stage my fingers and toes are all crossed for this one! If this seedling survives its first two weeks ill be over the moon! It's just a matter of time now.. damn i'm so impatient lol!

Thank's to everyone who has advised me so far, every bit of info has really helped. Hopefuly one day i can give some back :)

F

Fear

Never rush the juana same with your grow room if it's not tready don't start it. I rushed and have lost before.

H

HI-GRAD3

Update: After 1 day under 18 hours a day of light i noticed the first two leaves forming but no further growth, the tiny leaves were green but the tiny stem was yellow Unfortunately after two days the tear in the root had completely torn thus no roots. The leaves started loosing their colour and the tiny bit of root that was left started drying out. This attempt failed but i have picked up some new seeds from a friend and i am germinating as we speak. Now i am more familiar with the process, i am confident that this time all will go well. Thank you for your advice and your tips, they were very helpful and im sure i will be using them again in the future.

Wish me luck guys :)

N

Nuglover

You really need to read the Grow FAQ in red at the top left of the screen bro. It will answer all your questions before you need to ask them. :)

H

HI-GRAD3

You really need to read the Grow FAQ in red at the top left of the screen bro. It will answer all your questions before you need to ask them. :)

Wow, thanks for that, i didnt even realise it was there lol.

Im gonna have a good old read :smiley_joint:

Top Bottom