Neighbor's porch light...strong enough to keep my outdoor plants from flowering?

• Thread starter temu99
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
temu99

temu99

Lights are about 20 feet away. I would estimate it to be 3 times the brightness of full moonlight.
I hear different opinions. Mainly, ....
1. No more than full moonlight brightness(1 lux).
2. More than full moonlight is ok...because outdoor plants adapt to it.
It'll be nice to hear from someone with actual experience on this matter.
Answers will be appreciated.

BigCube

BigCube

Without knowing actual lumens or par coming off the light, there is no way to know for sure.

20 ft isn't that far. It's like 4 short people away. Are you sure that's the correct distance?

At 20ft it wouldn't take that much light to fuck it. If it's a strong enough light like a 250w hps yard light, it could easily prevent flowering. If it's a 60w led bulb, probably not.

I can tell you for sure that a bb/pellet gun would fix the problem fast and as often as you need.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

my opinion is it will effect your plant,reason why,i have a container garden behind the house,right at the kitchen window the light is always on one of my totes,this whole damn year ive had beauty of plants grow in the tote,never any fruit worth mentioning,i didnt even notice it,the wife did,she said i think that soil in that container isnt any good,so did a PH test then NPK test,all right on top,still nothing but green plants,so few months go by still same,then triple digit weather came upon us and blistering heat,mama said the daylight was keeping her from sleeping,so she put cardboard across the window,it wasnt a full week and flowers all over the cucumber plant,then fruit started,then it snapped to me,after dark i stay up to around midnight,the light over my chair which iluminates out that same window was the cause,few months later i had one close to the fence do same thing,so i told my son to turn off his deck light at night and sure as shit it started producing squash,the light from deck is about 40 yrds away,and kitchen light is about 30ft away,so there is my experience hope it helps,i dont have a clue about lumens and all that but any plant has to rest and lights do effect them at night

QuestForZest

QuestForZest

Honestly, at this point in the season if you are outdoors and not seeing flowers start to form, then yes, it is interfering. If you have flowers but are worried about there being light issues then I would say depends on the light. I have an outdoor going and a greenhouse that's half flower/veg. The lights from the veg (t5s) we're most definitely interfering with one of the outdoor plants that was about 10-15 feet away. However, I had another that was about 20-25 which had no problems at all. I put a tarp up to block the light. Nothing fancy, but it works.

temu99

temu99

Honestly, at this point in the season if you are outdoors and not seeing flowers start to form, then yes, it is interfering. If you have flowers but are worried about there being light issues then I would say depends on the light. I have an outdoor going and a greenhouse that's half flower/veg. The lights from the veg (t5s) we're most definitely interfering with one of the outdoor plants that was about 10-15 feet away. However, I had another that was about 20-25 which had no problems at all. I put a tarp up to block the light. Nothing fancy, but it works.
I do outdoor vegging in soil, using the gas lantern routine. For harvest anytime of the year. I'm in southern California.
8 watt led bulbs on top of plants. Enough to keep them in veg. Was worried about the new 3 story apartment that went up next to my house this year...and the light's coming from the windows of 2nd and 3rd story bedrooms.
I think I'll be ok. I estimate the light to be about 3 lux. But my plants are grown in outdoor soil from the start.....I'm pretty sure they adapt to their surroundings.
From what I understand.....cannabis needs to differentiate the waking and sleeping hours by sensing the degree of brightness/darkness. And my plants probably figured out the timing by now. Indoor plants or those vegged indoors and then put out for flower,......different story, I would think.

Top Bottom