New grower cant figure out whats wrong.

• Thread starter Atokad28
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Okay thats a pretty good idea. Now when you transfer the 10 day old plant from jiffy pot to rock wool how do you place the roots in it.
I don't...I fill 2-3" of hydroton in the bottom of the net pot and then place the entire jiffy pellet on that and fill. You want to avoid messing with the roots as much as possible.

Atokad28

Atokad28

Put 2-3" of hydroton into the net pot first then place your rockwool cube and fill the rest of the way.

The water line should be 1" below the net pot so that the bubbles breaking the surface splash the bottom of the net pot. For the first week you can dump 1 cup of nutrient solution a day from the top just to aid the plants until the roots hit the water. Once the roots hit the water stop top feeding and pour a few cups of RO/Distilled with hydrogaurd. Tap is fine if not using hydrogaurd.

After 2 weeks you can lower the water to 2-3" below the net pot and keep it there the rest of the grow.

For the first week you want about 100-150ppm of feed. And 5000 lumen for light. You can download "light meter" by my mobile tools dev to check this on an android phone.

Water temps ideally 68-70

Air temps depend on the lighting used. I'm going to assume LED. So about 80f

RH about 60-65% this is important as it will reduce the demands on the roots until they are established.

Do not point any circulation fans directly at the seedlings.

Are you running sterile or live? Meaning bleach/hydrogen peroxide or beneficial bacteria?

What lighting are you using?

What water are you using? RO, tap water etc.

What nutrients are you using?

Let's start with that and go from there.
Okay water im using is tap comes out at 7.5ph. Lighting i got some 45w light panel online for the hydro abd the soil bucket has 4 grow bulbs. When I first did the hydro i used way to much nutrients. But this time around i think i got it balanced.

Atokad28

Atokad28

I don't...I fill 2-3" of hydroton in the bottom of the net pot and then place the entire jiffy pellet on that and fill. You want to avoid messing with the roots as much as possible.
Hydroton? Let me look that up sorry not familiar with it

Atokad28

Atokad28

Okay clay pellets gotcha takes me a min

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You will want a better light as the grow progresses but that good for now.

GH nutes will be good.

Are you going to run sterile or live? You will need to pick one and stick to it. Root rot is a lot more common in a system that's is not sterile and does not add beneficial bacteria. I prefer live and run hydrogaurd. Never had an issue with root rot. My system is a bit more complicated than that but to a new grower I suggest one or the other.

Atokad28

Atokad28

You will want a better light as the grow progresses but that good for now.

GH nutes will be good.

Are you going to run sterile or live? You will need to pick one and stick to it. Root rot is a lot more common in a system that's is not sterile and does not add beneficial bacteria. I prefer live and run hydrogaurd. Never had an issue with root rot. My system is a bit more complicated than that but to a new grower I suggest one or the other.
I'll run sterile. If that meens like buying filtered water and sticking with it rather than using tap.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'll run sterile. If that meens like buying filtered water and sticking with it rather than using tap.
By sterile I mean running tiny amounts of bleach or h2o2 to kill all bacteria good and bad.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have never run a sterile system but this may help you and others here have so hopefully they chime in.

Also I didn't see any ph down. You will need ph down to get the proper ph for nutrient uptake or your plants will not grow and likely die. I suggest phosphoric acid based ph down for hydro. GH ph down will work but I feel 85% food grade phosphoric acid is best suited. You should wear gloves and always add acid to water never water to acid. It will likely only take a few drops.

You will absolutely need a TDs meter and a ph meter

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Love this group. Very kind of you to spell this all out for people Aqua Man. Lots of good info in this thread, I've considered dabbling in RDWC someday so I'm also following along for tidbits of gold here...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Oh and you want to always do in this order.. in your case add nutrients to the water then ph down to 5.6-5.8 and over the next few days the ph will naturally rise if all is well. When it hits 6.0-6.1 you want to ph it back down.

In DWC you want to steer ph and nutrients so you mix them before adding. After you have added back a volume equal to your res size you will want to do a complete res change since you are in sterile. I will go over this once im finished a meeting I'm about to head into.

Atokad28

Atokad28

Fresh hydro setup with water an inch below fhe basket and a layer of clay pellets on the bottom

Atokad28

Atokad28

Cleaned tbe grow room up a bit got 2 bottles of each ph down and up
The new hydro bucket is set up soaking the rock wool and waiting on the seeds the germinate. I added the hydrogen peroxide to this bucket aswell to see how well ot works. The 2 others are still alive. Soil plant is looking droopy still and the hydro plant hasn't grown or died.

Latest posts

Top Bottom